Starting Fire Emblem.

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Blue_Mew, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Blue_Mew
    OP

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    I've never played a Fire Emblem game and I'm willing to give one a try. So which should I start with?

2. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Hell
    Awakening or Fates, I guess. (I only played Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn btw)

Blue_Mew likes this.
  3. Blue_Mew
    OP

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    OK, thanks. What are the differences?

4. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Hell
    I don't know, sorry :(

Blue_Mew likes this.
  5. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    The more beginner-friendly games should be the seventh game (known as Fire Emblem in the West, it is the first one released there) on GBA because it doesn't complicate anything and refined the past games systems (while maintaining enough typical FE elements to not turn into something where you have to make efforts if you ever want to lose), or the Birthright version of Fire Emblem Fates on the 3DS (weapons are not consumables anymore, missions are very straight-forward, you can choose settings among different modes in order to make the characters you use immortals, heavily reduce damages, etc)

If you want "the best one", people will either tell you:
    - Fire Emblem Fates Revelation (add-on who enhances the lackluster experience that the base Fate games can be) because everyone knows that the last iteration of something is always the best one
    - Fire Emblem Awakening, just because they started with it and it is the first one trying to reach non-players of turn-based strategy
    - the Fire Emblem Radiance duo on GameCube/Wii, because it has some better elements, story, or characters if I understood it right
    - Fire Emblem (7) on GBA, just because they started with it, and it's the first one available for us)
    - Fire Emblem (4) Genealogy of the Holy War on Super Famicom, because it was the first to integrate a reproduction system, the relatively good story being told over two generations, and some loved the skills system in it.

Last edited by AyanamiRei, Dec 18, 2016
    Blue_Mew and THEELEMENTKH like this.
  6. Blue_Mew
    OP

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    I'll try the Birthright version. Thank you!

AyanamiRei likes this.
  7. Blue_Mew
    OP

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    Quick question, the special edition gives me all 3 paths right? Birthright, Conquest and Revelations?

8. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    @Aqib Ali Yes, it does (on a single cartridge if it is a western release, through e-shop redeem code if it is the japanese one).
    The choice comes once you reached a certain chapter. The "supposed" order to play it is Birthright, Conquest, Revelations (each road being a parallel world if you trust some character). Revelations story relies on a few things learned in the previous roads while revealing things you aren't supposed to know when you start those first two versions.

Anyway, have a good game. ^^

Blue_Mew likes this.