Hacking starfall

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiv1.5owners3 said:
i just booted starfall v0.5 from wiibrew and installed Start rescue-menu when Y is held on 1st GC controller all went well glad to say now if i boot up wii with Y button held i just get a 3.2E in the bottom right hand side of screen why would this be so important and is my wii now unbrickable in hineside?what can i do with Y button held? can i boot backups? i use Gamma so a little confused why this starfall is making a big scene and it was released back in August. hi noobwarrior

allow me to clarify with hypothetical Q & A:

Q: What seperates starfall from any other means to access the recovery menu (borked GC-pad, SaveMii)?
A: While it accesses the exact same rescue menu, Starfall physically patches that menu, which normally blocks the booting of retail Wii Discs, and will only boot those which have the "autoboot" bit set (of which there is only one known pressed disc, the original pink fish disc) so that the "RECOVERY MENU" will actually boot ANY disc that the drive will send as valid (for a chipped user, this means any disc, for unchipped it means any retail disc)

Q: Why is that useful?
A: Because, if you don't have a chip, you can't use autoboot discs.

Q: Why would I need to?
A: If you do a banner-brick accidentally, and you happen to have the Twilight Hack installed, and a copy of TP, but no chip, you could autoboot your retail copy, run TP-hack, and unbrick.

Q: Noobwarrior7, I often see you say, 3.2 + Starfall + TP-hack equals a very safe Wii? Why 3.2?
A: Because Starfall is the only way to unbrick without a chip, and Starfall only works on (aka was only made for) 3.2.

Any statement that begins with "I banner-bricked and don't have Starfall..."
is also a statement that ends in "...so I need a chip."

in addition:

Any statement that begins with "I'm on 3.3......"
is also a statement that ends in "...I never install a wad without the TP-hack on my system."

because on 3.2, you can boot homebrew discs as an alternative, on 3.3, all you have is TP. ALL YOU HAVE IS TP.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Q: Noobwarrior7, I often see you say, 3.2 + Starfall + TP-hack equals a very safe Wii? Why 3.2?
A: Because Starfall is the only way to unbrick without a chip, and Starfall only works on (aka was only made for) 3.2.
agreed. and as noob says, even more safer is having a drivechip

wiiv1.5owners3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so now ive flashed nand with recovery (Y button) hack its quite safe providing i dont delete TP hack off my safe memory im pretty much good to go?oh and i have a retail TP so "if" i brick it i hold y with TP inserted load game and run hack if home channel loads can i run gamma and then run "pink Disc" if available and i know Pink is NTSC but can it open the pal wii? sorry for noob Q's but i think this could put together a good tut for all those bricks out there and noticing people playing with wads on certain peoples work it seems only a matter of time before someone unexpectelly downloads a DUFF WAD.

eldi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Patryc said:
While we are on the subject of starfall.. How many of you guys have down-graded to it? And it it worth it?

I have downgraded to 3.2 and think its worth it, it only takes a few minutes, have used both Waninkoko's and tona's apps - both work OK , found Waninkoko's to be a bit more noob friendly as its not got as many options as any region changer. With Waninkoko's if the download fails its ok just do it again - have not had the download stop on tona's app but would think the same is true.

Once you are on 3.2 with starfall, have a retail copy of zelda and the tp hack save file on your wii you can boot homebrew even when banner bricked and uninstall things like Darknesss said above. I went this route for the exact same reasons mentioned.

Its not totally brick proof but is as safe as you are going to get at the moment. It also stops you having to brick block your foreign region iso's and brings full region free benefits to wii, gc, and vc. The only hack i dont install is the No Main Menu Back Ground Music (BGM), and my fav option is to get rid of that annoying health and safety warning!

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiv1.5owners3 said:
so now ive flashed nand with recovery (Y button) hack its quite safe providing i dont delete TP hack off my safe memory im pretty much good to go?oh and i have a retail TP so "if" i brick it i hold y with TP inserted load game and run hack if home channel loads can i run gamma and then run "pink Disc" if available and i know Pink is NTSC but can it open the pal wii? sorry for noob Q's but i think this could put together a good tut for all those bricks out there and noticing people playing with wads on certain peoples work it seems only a matter of time before someone unexpectelly downloads a DUFF WAD.

I don't know what you mean by you've flashed the nand with the y button, you can dump the nand with a couple apps, but the starfall Y button patch just makes it really easy to load the recovery menu, which, purely by coincidence on nintendo's part, makes it reasonably easy to unbannerbrick, with a few provisos. the recovery menu really doesn't do anything else, except autoboot "repair discs" of which the pink fish disc is a very old example.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ozz465 said:
only wish u dint need wifi to downgrade , damm 3.3 firmware .

you can supposedly take all the old IOS wads from a disc by opening one up in wiiscrubber, and then manually install all of them with wad manager (regular if you have a cIOS, or IOS16-edition if you don't)...but installing the system menu and IOS 30 is dangerous using that method, I'd just do every other IOS, then you've be fine.

Ozz465

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
Ozz465 said:

you can supposedly take all the old IOS wads from a disc by opening one up in wiiscrubber, and then manually install all of them with wad manager (regular if you have a cIOS, or IOS16-edition if you don't)...but installing the system menu and IOS 30 is dangerous using that method, I'd just do every other IOS, then you've be fine.
damm that sounds very complicated , since im a noob , i wont risk my wii to do so . I wish my damm wireless router did not die .

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ozz465 said:
noobwarrior7 said:
Ozz465 said:

damm that sounds very complicated , since im a noob , i wont risk my wii to do so . I wish my damm wireless router did not die .
Get a LAN adapter like I did. When my WiFi stopped working, this was a life saver. Works better than my WiFi ever did.

Ozz465

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
Ozz465 said:
noobwarrior7 said:
Ozz465 said:

Get a LAN adapter like I did. When my WiFi stopped working, this was a life saver. Works better than my WiFi ever did.
what d u recommend?? or is there just one that works with the wii?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ozz465 said:
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
Ozz465 said:
noobwarrior7 said:
Ozz465 said:

what d u recommend?? or is there just one that works with the wii?

go to best buy and try to find the official one in the "opened already" bin for 20 bucks. see em all the time, for some reason, I think people people buy it thinking it IS the wireLESS for the wii....I dunno.

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FRanatic said:
How does the recovery option work on starfall ?
Do I need to insert a game disc with any update or does the update need to be higher than the one installed ?
I guess using recovery disc by bushing is out of the question on non chipped wii's right ?

Edit: I just extacted both wads (ios and sm) from bushing recovery disc and noticed the ios is ios30. I've read a few posts back ios36 was mentioned. Is ios30 the one to use to get from 3.1 to 3.2 ?

Sorry to bump my own post, but it got lost is the hassle I guess...
Anyone care to elaborate on the above ?
Thanks.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FRanatic said:
FRanatic said:
How does the recovery option work on starfall ?
Do I need to insert a game disc with any update or does the update need to be higher than the one installed ?
I guess using recovery disc by bushing is out of the question on non chipped wii's right ?

Edit: I just extacted both wads (ios and sm) from bushing recovery disc and noticed the ios is ios30. I've read a few posts back ios36 was mentioned. Is ios30 the one to use to get from 3.1 to 3.2 ?

Sorry to bump my own post, but it got lost is the hassle I guess...
Anyone care to elaborate on the above ?
Thanks.
To get to 3.2, just use cIOS Downgrader or Anyregion Changer and choose 3.2 (for the correct region). Then install Starfall. With the recovery option installed, when you insert a Gamecube controller in port one and hold down Y, it'll launch the game inside the Wii without going to the system menu. If you have the Twilight Hack installed and you banner brick, you could use the recovery option to boot the TP Hack and uninstall the WAD with WAD Manager, thus unbricking your Wii. Sorry if this wasn't what you were asking...

ClaKK

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I installed Starfall on my 3.2 Wii, everything went ok and the hacks are really good...especially the "remove health & safety warning"
wink.gif

I'm sorry, but what do you mean with "have a tp hack zelda save on your Wii"...do I have to keep it on the Wii's memory or just in the SD card?

breakdaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
wiiv1.5owners3 said:
i just booted starfall v0.5 from wiibrew and installed Start rescue-menu when Y is held on 1st GC controller all went well glad to say now if i boot up wii with Y button held i just get a 3.2E in the bottom right hand side of screen why would this be so important and is my wii now unbrickable in hineside?what can i do with Y button held? can i boot backups? i use Gamma so a little confused why this starfall is making a big scene and it was released back in August. hi noobwarrior

allow me to clarify with hypothetical Q & A:

Q: What seperates starfall from any other means to access the recovery menu (borked GC-pad, SaveMii)?
A: While it accesses the exact same rescue menu, Starfall physically patches that menu, which normally blocks the booting of retail Wii Discs, and will only boot those which have the "autoboot" bit set (of which there is only one known pressed disc, the original pink fish disc) so that the "RECOVERY MENU" will actually boot ANY disc that the drive will send as valid (for a chipped user, this means any disc, for unchipped it means any retail disc)

Q: Why is that useful?
A: Because, if you don't have a chip, you can't use autoboot discs.

Q: Why would I need to?
A: If you do a banner-brick accidentally, and you happen to have the Twilight Hack installed, and a copy of TP, but no chip, you could autoboot your retail copy, run TP-hack, and unbrick.

Any statement that begins with "I banner-bricked and don't have Starfall..."
is also a statement that ends in "...so I need a chip."

in addition:

Any statement that begins with "I'm on 3.3......"
is also a statement that ends in "...I never install a wad without the TP-hack on my system."

because on 3.2, you can boot homebrew discs as an alternative, on 3.3, all you have is TP. ALL YOU HAVE IS TP.

I just want to thank you for repeatedly posting this important information. I should do this soon, but I am kinda waiting for cSM and avoiding installing WADs for the moment.

Why? Some slackers at my place are still playing through Zelda and can't be bothered, LOL..

breakdaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wiiv1.5owners3 said:

OK, you use the hack to run homebrew that can delete the bad wad, such as Wad Uninstaller. Follow the THack instructions for this part of it. Pink Disc not needed. Factory TP needed or drivechip and backup.

percu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doctormj said:
one question with starfall - is there any need to also brickblock games (as i understand that starfall bypasses the update checking anyway)?
I think there's no need to patch games to brickblock, but is better if someone can confirm it.

rwilts

Trophies
XP
Country
Going to sound like a noob, but ,

I have searched and read but cannot find definative answers for the following.

I have 3.2 but have used the safe update, does this effect my ability to install starfall?

As this changes somethings within the ios ( as i understand it ) and i have a Cios installed does this matter?

I have 'assumed' that it does not matter as people would not install this if it broke loaders.

FRanatic

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FRanatic said:
I just extacted both wads (ios and sm) from bushing recovery disc and noticed the ios is ios30. I've read a few posts back ios36 was mentioned. Is ios30 the one to use to get from 3.1 to 3.2 ?

Can someone please confirm ?
I am a bit reluctant to use Any Region Changer, since the installation through wads seems safer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-