Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 first screens/scans

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sequel to 2008's Force Unleashed was announced a few months ago via teaser trailer. Once again, the game will be gracing the usual systems, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, and DS. I have the first screens of the 360/PS3 version in scan format-

up441217.jpg

For those who don't know, Force Unleashed was a brand new Star Wars game set between the movies Episode 3 and 4. You take on the role of Darth Vader's secret assassin, Starkiller, who is deployed off to root out the remnants of the old Jedi order. I won't spoil the story, but it basically is the catalyst of the rebellion against the Galactic empire. The game focused on advanced force powers like you've never seen in the franchise. Your character was very powerful and could even use the force to push an entire star destroyer into the ground. The focal point was intended to really put you into the feel of being a jedi. It also used advanced physics engines powered by Euphoria, Havok, and Digital Molecular Matter to give an extremely realistic experience when it came to force powers and using them on people and the environment. But the game was met with mixed reception. It was cited by many to be a run of the mill button masher, and the advanced physics technology was rarely used ingame save for a few epic moments.

But nevertheless, the first title was apparently popular to spawn a sequel. I will now give you some fair amounts of SPOILERS for the previous game and what leads into this game-

From what it seems, you once again take on the role of Darth Vader's secret apprentice Starkiller. It follows the light side ending of the first game, where your apprentice betrayed his master and took on the emperor in a one on one battle. He created the rebel alliance and turned to the light side to save his friends. He was thought dead though, having been electrocuted and crushed by falling debris. It is yet unknown how he survived or why Vader and the Emperor couldn't even tell. He was pronounced dead and we thought that was the last we had seen from him....until the new teaser trailer for the sequel a few months ago, showing him alive. He appears to now wield two lightsabers and is struggling with his conscience. Whether he's turned back to the dark side is yet unknown though. In the trailer, he was seen walking down a dark corridor and emerges in some kind of arena as if he were some sort of gladiator or slave.

We're probably going to get some new info and a trailer from E3 come this June. Maybe even a playable version. Hopefully, this sequel makes up for the previous game's shortcomings and fixes the issues in the original.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=122209

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played the first Force Unleashed on the Wii and while it definitely had problems (although most of these were controls and graphics), it was still fun enough. It was just too short too. They need to make a more open world (well, I don't mean like GTA open world but like Mass Effect open world) game with lots of sidequests and a beefy storyline. Then it'd be considered truly good.

I'd pick it up for the Xbox 360 though
wink.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Twoacross

Well that's a huge spoiler, but yeah, that's what everyone's wondering. How they can make a sequel when the first game ends in such a definitive way... And it was one of the primary complaints when the trailer was first launched. If i were you, i'd remove that for those who haven't played it yet. It's a HUGE spoiler.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've only played the DS version (unsure if diff version = diff story), and he was killed and later revived by Vader somehow. Who's to say random_jedi#1337 doesn't revive him again.

Daizu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoyed the first Force Unleashed a lot. Dual-lightsaber's is gonna be awesome, but holding both of them behind his back is kinda... not-cool looking if you ask me; should have one in front other in back. But hey, my opinion. Oh well, combos are likely gonna look sweet. Can't wait for this.
biggrin.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've played the DS and PSP versions, and the PSP version far surpassed the DS version. I heard about the sequel a while back, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
biggrin.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
I've played the DS and PSP versions, and the PSP version far surpassed the DS version. I heard about the sequel a while back, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
biggrin.gif
The PSP, PS2, and Wii versions of the game are 95% identical to each other. They're the same basic game running on the same engine and using mostly the same levels. There might be a few levels exclusive to one version of another. The Wii version has motion control and looks the best of the three. The PS2 looks a bit worse and uses normal controls. And the PSP version looks a lot worse than either.

The DS version is a completely different game. I mean, all versions share the same story and such, but the levels are designed differently from game to game. The DS version is pretty poor in comparison. Jittery framerate and i didn't like the touch control. Overall, it felt like the worst version by far. I don't really blame it on the DS though, it felt like they developed it as a side thought just to cash in on the name alone. Wonder what they'll do with the sequel on DS, probably just reuse the engine from the first game and just redesign the levels.

The original game had rather bland story AND gameplay. Well, the story itself was a good idea and all, but the character development was really poor. Juno Eclipse was particularly bland, and the love story was really crappily built up. I liked some of the other characters though such as Proxy the hologram droid. And the jedi's you meet are cool. The bad guys are all cool too. But the main character and the romance are really bland.

The actual gameplay feels like a generic beat'em up. Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy are really the only true Star Wars games which have really nailed what it feels like to be a jedi. The advanced physics and overkill force powers didn't win me over from the first FU game. And i see no good reason why enemies should be able to take a full lightsaber slash and appear to get cleaved in half only to just get right back up. Another thing Jedi Knight did right. The only enemies that should have lightsaber resistance are the people WITH a lightsaber, due to blocking ability. For a game that prides itself on advanced physics and ragdoll or whatnot, the physics with a lightsaber just don't work like they should.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would also prefer more lightsaber realism, including the cutting ability, although that might raise the rating a bit, and when it comes to blocking, I agree again, either lightsabers, or the odd enemy with a Phrik blade. I'd much rather take on an entire heap of enemies rather than maybe 5 or 6 that you have to slash 2 or 3 times. There's something better about taking on more enemies rather than a few that are abnormally resistant.

The control over force powers I really liked though. You can hold something up and throw it through a forcefield into space, where it will continue to float off. Sometimes I enjoy doing that.

I really hope they allow support for more than only a single bladed lightsaber in this. In the "Force Unleashed" mode, playing as Darth Maul, Darth Phobos, Asajj Ventress or Maris Brood has no real merit. If Darth Maul used a saberstaff in Episode I, I want him to use a saberstaff in this. I'd also love it if you could pick any level or set up your own, and have more customisation options for the lightsaber, giving the game more of a sandbox feel.

Theraima

I own this desert, bitches!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
PS2 version was ok, but way too short. I heard they pretty much screwed up the Wii version, hope it is somewhat different than any other console version.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I played the Wii version, and although it wasn't perfect, and a little short, it was still highly entertaining for me .
I loved the RPG elements and the ability to upgrade your saber, moves and powers.
It was really satisfying to push people and stuff around....
I actually liked it that much that after a few months I got the Ultimate Sith Edition for the PC.
I knew that it was bound to be bigger then the Wii and definitely better looking, so although I already had finished on the Wii, since the levels were completely different, I decided to play it again !
So through the many faults of the game, it was still enjoyable to a lot of people and if they can fix a few things in the sequel, I'm really looking forward to this.

kalmis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I feel that the original Unleashed was slight reboot for whole SW franchise in gaming. Just hoping Unleashed 2 can improve on that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended