Stable N64 Emulator exist yet?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by vgplayer54, Dec 24, 2016.

1. vgplayer54
    OP

vgplayer54 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Hello,
    I'm wondering if there is a stable N64 emulator for the Wii U in existence yet (or a way to inject N64 ROMS). I know there are some for the vWii, but ideally I would like to be able to play the games from the Wii U Gamepad and not a Wii Remote and Nunchuk (Don't own a classic controller...unless the SSB4 Gamecube adapter is compatible?).

2. flzmx

flzmx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2016
    United States
    Injection is possible:

But I haven't found an emulator yet.

3. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
  4. vgplayer54
    OP

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Okay, but the game I want to play doesn't seem to be compatible with Wii U emulation (Yup, Banjo-Tooie). Do you know if it'll work via injection? or should I resort to a vWii emulator for it?

5. flzmx

flzmx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 12, 2016
    United States
    Here's the compatibility list. It's possible the base may not work, as the emulators are all fine-tuned for each game. If you don't want to play around with that, then I would recommend just using a vWii emulator.

6. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
  7. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Could always just do Not64 through Wii homebrew. Thats what I would do.

8. vgplayer54
    OP

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Alright thanks for the clarification, so Not64 is the recommended emulator to use? If I use it on the vWii, do you know if it is compatible with SSB4 gamecube adapter? or must it be Wii remote and Nunchuk? (Is there enough buttons on Wii remote to assign N64 controller buttons?)

9. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Sadly it does not work with that adapter. I tried it myself.

You would have to plug in a controller to the Wii remote to act as a classic controller. I recommend those ones from Hori, I use it myself and it feels just as good as a real Gamecube controller.

10. JohnathanMonkey

JohnathanMonkey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    Injection is possible, but limited. N64 emulation in general is a pain from what I understand. The RetroArch thread HERE has some info regarding the progress.

11. vgplayer54
    OP

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Okay, thank you all for your help. I've decided to take a different approach since I don't own a classic controller and from what I've been reading compatibility isn't the greatest. This may be off-topic for a Wii U forum, but can anyone recommend a good PC N64 emulator that has compatibility for the patched Banjo-Tooie ROM? (preferably PS4 or PS3 controller compatible?)

12. pietempgba

pietempgba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 9, 2016
    United States
    Project 64 or Mupen

vgplayer54 likes this.
  13. vgplayer54
    OP

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Will try Project 64 with patched Banjo-Tooie, I hope it works! After searching online, there's countless mixed reviews so no clue what to believe. Thank you for your help!