Hacking Speculation on modifying the Wii through GC BC

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I hear that the Wii is pretty much just a souped up Gamecube. Plus it has backwards compatability for Gamecube games. It's got memory card slots and all that good stuff, so why wouldn't current GC hacks work for the Wii? I don't belive Nintendo will have blocked off the action replay exploit, or taken away the ability to run that Max drive SD card thing, sence they don't seem to do much to prevent piracy and homebrew on the DS. The only thing the Wii doesn't have that the Gamecube does is a broadband ethernet port, it's all wireless. Which makes me wonder... Is support for LAN games gone? No more MK:DD LAN? Or will it work just like it did with a wire, but without? I doubt GCOS has support for wifi, so backups will be hard to create. Just rambling. What do you guys think?

opnr2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii also has its own SD CARD slot i wonder if someone out there can just make something that can bypass the boot system and load games directly.
The DREAMCAST days were the best...that was the best, simplest hack ever that was applied to each game at the begining. I loved it!

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I really doubt that...
Although i think the Freeloader might still work with import games, as long as they are Original and not backups. I doubt about Lan games working.

But i do think we will see the next generation of consoles pretty hacked pretty quick... mostly due to them using card readers / USB devices to work with saves and such.

Marvz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Erm.. there is such thing called "WIRELESS LAN". Its just LAN without the messy wires?
As long as your all connected to a single router. It's called LAN.
But whether the Wii games has LAN support, thats a different story althogether..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@opnr2000 the simplest hack ever still has to be deus ex PC version, you delete or otherwise obscure the line in the ini file that deals with the CD location and bam instant no cd "crack".

As for hacking the Wii I expect the usual initial models hacked... blocked hacks refined.... blocked thing to happen at least once or twice.
If the amount of interest I see pinging about various forums/irc channels/doney billboards regarding the Wii translates into actual sales then I should imagine some serious hacker interest will happen, if some way of making my own isos comes about all the better.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping that someone will develop a hack that will run via the SD card. Although I'm probably expecting much to hope for a Xbox style media centre for the Wii.

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All the systems from what I understand are now able to do "firmware upgrades" so if there is a hack, a mod, then when a company is ready they can fix the firmware by changing the firmware...we shall see what happens to my 360 in a few days when the new dashboard comes out...

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the systems from what I understand are now able to do "firmware upgrades" so if there is a hack, a mod, then when a company is ready they can fix the firmware by changing the firmware...we shall see what happens to my 360 in a few days when the new dashboard comes out...

About the firmware updates/upgrades. Nintendo has had the option to update/upgrade the NDS' firmware sence day 1. In fact they did actually update once with the WFC emergance and Mario Kart, which is why FlashMe v4 came out. Nintendo didn't stop piracy then, and hasn't still. Why would they do it with the Wii, but not the DS?

About the Xbox 360. The update already came out, at least in the US, and it didn't bring any bans with it. It did however mess with some people's DVD-roms and made them re-flash the firmware. But as long as you're using the newest Sammy firmware (hitachi's weren't really hit that hard) you're cool.

And to the comment about wireless LAN. Yeah I know that a Wifi card will do the same things a wired card will, but the thing is, Mario Kart Double Dash wasn't programmed to use a wireless card, so if the Wii doesn't use some type of wrapper to fake the game into thinking it has a broadband adapter, LAN mode will not work. Same goes for any homebrew code that implemented LAN funcionality. The broadband adapter is crucial to creating backups for the GC and for software hacking it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. But when I get my Wii the first thing I'm doing is putting in my AR and atempting to boot my backup of SSBM.

So what I hope for is that:

1. Nintendo didn't put some sort of blockage to booting the Action Replay, and if they didn't..
2. Nintendo didn't put some sort of blockage to buffer overflow exploiting the AR disc, and if they didn't..
3. They implemented a way for the Wii to emulate the wired broadband adapter for backwards compatability well enough for homebrew to work enough to create a backup.

ShadowrunneR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sorry mate out of luck on all three counts. Action replay won't work as freeloader doesn't work either due to wii not allowing unsigned code to run. you will need a firmware hack of the wii drive. its going to ba a lot harder compared to the 360 since the drive is not just a standard dvd drive you can buy in a shop. Not saying its impossible but it will take a while.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sorry mate out of luck on all three counts. Action replay won't work as freeloader doesn't work either due to wii not allowing unsigned code to run. you will need a firmware hack of the wii drive. its going to ba a lot harder compared to the 360 since the drive is not just a standard dvd drive you can buy in a shop. Not saying its impossible but it will take a while.

(Un)signed code is only relivant to the Wii side of things. The GC code itself isn't signed that I'm aware of so anything that runs in an unmodded GC should work fine in the Wii when it drops into GC mode.

As for LAN mode it will be interesting to see. I guess there are so few games that utilise it that its probably not going to work as that would leave another hole into the system, but only time will tell.

rmco2003

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Nintendo has had the option to update/upgrade the NDS' firmware sence day 1.  In fact they did actually update once with the WFC emergance and Mario Kart, which is why FlashMe v4 came out.

Actually that's completely wrong, the firmware on the DS is completely protected from writing apart from the user settings area, the only way to overwrite the protected areas of the firmware is to short the SL1 on the back of the DS. The reason why a new FlashMe was made was because the code was stored in the WiFi User Settings part of the firmware, so when you set up your WiFi connection through games like Mario Kart it would overwrite parts of the FlashMe code.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Person who said that the Wii might use something to make things like MK:DD which had a wired LAN now work on the Wii with a wireless LAN, let me remind you about this.

The GBA had a wired LAN capable of up to 4 players. The DS had a wireless LAN capable of up to 16 players. The DS is backwards compatible with the GBA. The Wii is backwards compatible with the GC. You can't play multiplayer GBA games on 2 DS. So why would you think You'd be able to play a multi-cube game on 2 Wiis?

-BUT- I'd like to bring up that there is a gamecube homebrew that lets you hook up the GC's ethernet into a router, so you can connect your GC to the internet and play people who have the same game, the same homebrew program, at the same time, with the same connections over the internet. If I remember it's called "Warp Pipe" or somethign along those lines.

And a question about the Wii's insides. Does it achieve backwards compatibility by using the same chip the GC uses (like how the PS3 getting backwards compat with the PS2) or the Wii has its own software that is truely Wii's? Was thinking that if it has a separate chip, you can use an existing GC modchip and stick it in, giving GC homebrew / games the horsepower the Wii has (which, still isn't much)

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

WTF new dashboard? Where was the info on this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    oh it’s the least I could do
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, stop stealing my phrases
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He wants to bone anything with a dick +1