SpecializeMii "Plus" (on-console Mii database editor)

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Ryccardo, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Ryccardo
    OP

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Only as of this morning I discovered this obscure but well designed homebrew called SpecializeMii which allows for fairly effortless conversion of Mis to golden pants.

I was really satisfied by its existence, because it means someone publicly took advantage of the documentation efforts!

There were 3 main goals of that research (at least for the part I conducted): figuring out how the Personal Mii is selected, figuring out what exactly makes a proper Gold Mii, and figuring out what makes a Mii editable by you.

This homebrew covers point 2, and now I've added a passable implementation of point 3 -- now, as an alternative to heavy copypasta in a hex editor and obscure PC software to calculate the checksums, to unlock all of your Miis for editing you only need to change up to 2 values, and to run two homebrews!

Enough propaganda/backstory, facts time:
    https://github.com/rboninsegna/SpecializeMii/releases

NekoMichi likes this.
  2. breaktemp

breaktemp D-Sun who was called D-Moon

Mar 17, 2008
    United States
    TSU...no.1 in tha hood
    Hmm...am I reading this right ?

So with this we can make our 3DS Mii have gold pants, copy gold pants Mii, and save and send Gold pants Mii to other consoles ?

3. Ryccardo
    OP

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    This has been possible for over 2 years (a shared extdata dumper was one of the first major homebrews)... it's just more automated, with no PC needed (thanks to the original SpecializeMii, I didn't add this feature)
    Gold Miis can't be copied by definition (but of course you can make them normal and owned by you, copy and edit them, then make the copies gold again)
    We should clarify "send" - the same limitation and workaround described above applies to the Mii Maker trading function, while it's indeed possible to use a gold Mii in Mii Plaza (and Nintendo has officially done so a couple of times in certain countries)

breaktemp likes this.
  4. AnalogMan

AnalogMan sumoCheatMenu Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    This is nice, I've been looking into making a homebrew that replicates the features of the PC software 3DSMiiModifier to allow you to mark Mii's as Special, Sharable, Editable, and change their names. I also did not know this "SpecializeMii" software existed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Ryccardo likes this.
  5. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    It's been said that setting your personal Mii to special status is unsafe and can cause instability, but I haven't been able to find much more detail than that. Could someone please elaborate on what exactly can happen with a special personal Mii, and how serious are the risks?

6. Ryccardo
    OP

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Gold Miis are by definition not editable, but Personal Miis are supposed to always editable though this is not technically enforced (from this it can also be deduced a Personal Mii is not supposed to be golden), some software have a gripe (crash) when 1 or more of these 2 expectations are not met

NekoMichi likes this.
  7. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Ah, that clears things up. Thanks.
    There were rumours about it wiping all Mii data but I didn't see any supporting information about the claim.