OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Italy
Since I am very fond of puzzle games and I played most of GBA puzzle games, I decided to make small comparative reviews about 7 famous puzzles. I am talking about Mr.Driller 2, Guru Logi Champ, Boulder Dash EX, Denki Blocks, Klonoa Empire Of Dreams, Turbo Turtle Adventure and Kuru Kuru Kururin.
All the titles are very enjoyable games,let's examine them one by one.

Mr.Driller 2
driller2.png
driller2-1.png
driller2-2.png

Even though this game has been released in Japanese language only, it's very easy to understand and play.
The objective is to drill blocks to reach a goal starting from the top of the screen to the bottom.
You may choose from 3 game modes: 1. Mission Driller (It's the basic game, dig down to a certain depth to clear the level) 2.Endless Driller (The objective is to dig as much as you can with a fixed number of lives) 3.Time Attack Driller ( Clear certain levels with a maximum time limit).

Pros
- The game is easy to understand even though you really need to train a lot to master it.
- It's very addictive and offers a hard challenge.
- Graphics are cute and music is great.

Cons
- Harder levels can be frustrating.
- There are not that many levels, the game is quite short.
- It's more an action game rather than a puzzle, faster reflexes are needed more than a faster brain
wink.gif

- Multiplayer game is not that fun.

Global judgment

Mr. Driller 2 is a very enjoyable game, I love it because it's very challenging and you can play it even if you have five minutes free and still have fun. It will hardly get boring even if tougher levels may discourage newer players.

Overall: 7/10
Difficulty: Hard

KiVan

Hooray! Member n# 1!!!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Italy
Guru Logi Champ
guru.png
guru-1.png
guru-2.png

This is a Japanese game too, but it's even easier than Mr. Driller to understand. Guru Logi Champ is an impressive innovative puzzle game, with a ton of comic interludes. The objective of the game is to cover certain patterns with a fixed number of little blocks.

Pros
- It's addictive even after 2 minutes of play.
- Over 300 levels of pure fun.
- Very humorous and with funny graphics and sounds.
- Very challenging at higher levels but it's not frustrating.

Cons
- Multiplayer game is boring.
- No replay value.

Global judgment
Try this game! It's one of the best puzzles I've ever played, this game makes you use your brain A LOT and when you finish a hard level it's very gratifying. Scenes between one level and another are just too much fun, you really have to see them!

Overall: 9/10
Difficulty: Hard

KiVan

Hooray! Member n# 1!!!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Italy
Boulder Dash EX
boulder.png
boulder-1.png
boulder-2.png

Boulder Dash is the remake of an old but funny game, the objective is to gather Big diamonds and avoid being hit by big falling boulders.
Very easy to start and very enjoyable.

Pros
- Graphics are cute and music is great.
- Revive this old classic game on your GBA
- Multiplayer game is one of the funniest games I've EVER played.
- Quite easy , you can relax with it.

Cons
- The game is not that challenging, many levels are easy, even higher levels.
- No replay value.

Global judgment
Boulder Dash EX is a great game in single player but in Multi-Player it's a MUST. I did not have that much fun with any other GBA multiplayer games, it's single pack too! Don't expect a great challenge in single player, but most levels are fun.

Overall: Single Player 6/10 Multi Player 10/10
Difficulty: Easy

KiVan

Hooray! Member n# 1!!!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Italy
Denki Blocks
denki.png
denki-1.png
denki-2.png

This game is a strange puzzle, very innovative, the objective is to join blocks of the same color into one bigger block.It features two type of play: 1.Tournament (the basic game, join colored gum-blocks into one single big block) 2.Perfecto! (make special shapes using the fewest moves and in the fastest times).

Pros
- Very addictive game, easy to learn.
- Graphics are ok, music is great.
- Many many challenging levels.

Cons
- Very hard game, it may become frustrating.
- No replay value.
- Multiplayer Game is just average and it does not support linking multiple GBA.

Global judgment
Denki Blocks is a game for people with a BIG BIG brain. Very hard at higher levels, when you finish a hard level, i doubt you will play it again. Very enjoyable, but sometimes you may get depressed.

Overall: 6/10
Difficulty: Very Hard

KiVan

Hooray! Member n# 1!!!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Italy
Klonoa Empire Of Dreams
klonoa.png
klonoa-1.png
klonoa-2.png

This game is halfway between a puzzle game and a platform.The objective is to collect some stars scattered around the level and reach the exit door. There are two subgames too: a sort of skate level and a race against time.

Pros
- Cute graphics.
- Easy to understand, and not so hard to play. Good idea to mix puzzle and platform.
- Subgames are funny and challenging.

Cons
- Quite easy, most levels do not require real strokes of genius to be solved.
- Music may become boring after a few hours of game playing.

Global judgment
Klonoa IS a good game, but it would be even better if levels were not so PLAIN and easy to do. It does not satisfy the player and it does not makes him want to finish the game. Overall it's a funny game, give it a look!

Overall: 5/10
Difficulty: Very Easy

KiVan

Hooray! Member n# 1!!!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Italy
Turbo Turtle Adventure
turtle.png
turtle-1.png
turtle-2.png

Another very nice game. Turbo turtle adventure is a mix between Monkey Ball and a fine puzzle. The objective of the game it to bring the little turtle to the warp portal, using jumps, teleports,bricks and keys avoiding to fall from the floor.

Pros
- Very challenging from the beginning and addictive.
- Graphics and sounds are ok.
- Innovative idea.

Cons
- Not many levels, only 6-7 hours of gameplay.
- Sometimes it can get on your nerves, you can easily fall off the floor if you are not 100% careful.

Global judgment
I loved this game , i finished it in 4 days because it's VERY addictive and fun, i suggest you give it a try, moving the cute turtle as you wish may be hard in the beginning, but later you will master its use.

Overall: 8/10
Difficulty: Medium

KiVan

Hooray! Member n# 1!!!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Italy
Kuru Kuru Kururin
kuru.png
kuru-1.png
kuru-2.png

One of the first GBA games, but still one of the best. The objective is to move a rotating stick through a maze without touching the walls and reach the goal area. There are 2 types of game: 1.Adventure (the normal game mode, find your way between many mazes) 2.Challenge (clear mazes it the fastest time possible).

Pros
- Addictive.
- Many levels,some are very hard.
- Good music and sounds

Cons
- Graphics are poor.
- It may become boring, gameplay is not so deep.

Global judgment
I liked this game a lot, but I wasn's so deeply involved like with the other puzzles, maybe because i don't like the idea to be a rotating stick eheh. A must try, very relaxing and well balanced.

Overall: 7/10
Difficulty: Medium/Hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night