SpaceX Has Reached The ISS

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First up, let's clear this out of the way: No, SpaceX is not the lame title of a Science Fiction b-movie (though now I'm sort of wishing it was).

Instead, it's a private corporation focused on space transportation, and they currently in the midst of providing the International Space Station with cargo in the first (official, anyway) commercial resupply mission ever.

So basically, it's a star ship enterprise (but not the Star Ship Enterprise, mind you).

Well anyway, their rocket has just managed to reach the ISS.

...the unmanned but highly equipped Dragon capsule successfully latched itself to the International Space Station (ISS). The capsule was capture by astronauts using a robotic arm after what seemed to be a flawless approach – which is really good news, considering that this is only the first in a series of 12 planned missions, which will cost NASA about $1.6 billion.
icon11.gif
ZME Science

The ship recently had engine trouble that some believed could have jeopardized the mission; thankfully, it looks like those fears have been put to rest.

Various people have been eyeing commercial opportunities in space, but the process of actually getting there has been pretty slow so far. It's a serious investment, and with a lot of risk that can easily worry investors. With the success of this mission, we may see more and more companies begin to take the first steps towards this new, final frontier. Plus, considering how SpaceX is interested in the creation of a "permanent human presence" on the surface of Mars, we might just be one step closer to that, too.

Oh, and before I forget, some of the astronauts on the mission provided commentary on the event.

“Looks like we’ve tamed the Dragon,” station commander Sunita Williams said as the spacecraft was captured by a robotic arm.

Hey, come on! Making the lame puns is my job.

Jeez, you're really dragon me down here.

Reactions: 7 people

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Cool. I'm against privatization of some things, but space travel is not one of them. I think space travel in the private sector could be something that would really boost the world economy.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will I see people on Mars in my lifetime? Not that I want to go myself.

Well, Mars One is looking to get people on Mars by 2023, and I think NASA has it on the books to get people over by 2030.

It's quite a bit away still, but right on the horizon.
Unfortunately, no one seems to have informed KingVamp that he dies in a car accident in 2017.

...oops.

Reactions: 3 people

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
Yes you will see humans land on Mars in our lifetime.
Next mission is a sample return landing and takeoff vehicle including a manned orbiter! 2030.
Orion is being built specifically for this mission now.

On to new horizons! Pluto in view in just 2 years!

Reactions: 1 person

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
NASA has videos of the SpaceX approaching and hatch opening.
With current Crew members (Expedition 32&33)

Since the first Dragon mission I'm interested with ISS and space programs.
There's also the japanese anime keeping the interest by showing the ISS and Akihiko_Hoshide from the current crew regularly at the end of the episodes.

Speaking of manned mission, NASA has a project for a manned mission on an asteroid near 2020 too.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"