dragon574444

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this is the right section, but here we go.

I have a retail copy of Soul Silver and I want to rip the save file. I have an EZ Flash 3-in-1, but Rudolph's tool doesn't recognize the save file, and save send gives me a file that's only 8kB. I searched a bit and I read that Chase-san was able to rip the save, but was unable to load it back to the cart? That was months ago, so has anyone been able to accomplish this? Thanks.

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unless you plan on disassembling and modifying your cartridge, the only way it will work is if you buy an NDS Adapter Plus. The infa-red hardware interferes with traditional access to the save chip and the NDS Adapter Plus is the only thing that nows how to interface properly.

dragon574444

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Disassembling and modifying, eh? That's certainly an option if I can rip the save without buying an NDS Adapter Plus. Do you have a link that explains what needs to be done?

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a homebrew app that has a less then 50% (I think) rate of ripping the save from a HG/SS retail cart. I stumbled upon it in a related thread in the Acekard fourm:

Hakoda said:
gumbyx84 said:
Not to derail this thread, but this caught my attention
Haldrie said:
For one the new Heart Gold and Soul Silver games have a new form of copy protection as well as a new IR sensor with a new chip to control it which also switches access to the EEPROM save chip (making it impossible at the moment to copy a save from a flash cart to the original cart although getting the save from the cart is now possible thanks to a modified save dumper) which has been causing all kinds of problems on many flash carts. Worst case scenario is you can just do like I did (see pics below).
You talking the NDS Adaptor Plus or a new software save dumper?

You can use Chase-San's dumper which requires a Slot-2. Its success rate isn't the best. As it will always dump an SAV but not always will it be playable.

QUOTE(Hakoda @ Jul 3 2010, 01:37 PM) QUOTE(gumbyx84 @ Jul 3 2010, 04:44 AM)
Thanks for the heads up, Hakoda. Is that dumper up on FileTemp?
No its right here: Link Load the sav created through PokeSav to check if it is playable.

I haven't tested it yet seeing as I am lazy and don't need to rip my save ATM (can't play in tournaments using flash cart). Hope this helps.

Edit: Found post regarding how to modify retail cart to work with Rudolph's 3-in-1 dumper.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I want to try this save dumping method for my Soul Silver, but I'm worried I might risk damaging the gamesave on my retail cart.
If that happened I would be beyond pissed, I have a lot of valuable pokémon, TMs and items on my current gamesave.

Do you think it would be safe to use that savhax2 tool?

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Savhax2 only read the data off the retail cart. Save file corruption (or any kinda of file corruption for that matter) usually comes from data being partially written to the file system. I highly doubt it would cause you any problems.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gumbyx84 said:
Savhax2 only read the data off the retail cart. Save file corruption (or any kinda of file corruption for that matter) usually comes from data being partially written to the file system. I highly doubt it would cause you any problems.

I was thinking that too, if data is never written to the cartridge, from read from EEPROM to the slot-2 SRAM, then SRAM to File, it should be safe...
Still, I'd rather wait and hear from someone else who's done it first. Like I said I have too many valuable pokémon on my gamesave.

QUOTE(PharaohsVizier @ Jul 8 2010, 02:51 AM) If people are absolutely desperate, I'd be happy to do the dump with my NDS Adaptor Plus if you pay postage both ways and don't mind the wait.

Lol, I'd rather buy my own NDS adaptor plus then send my game out of the country!

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*Phew*, okay, I bit the bullet, and it worked!
I got my savefile off my retail cart and it opened in Pokésav.
I probably won't be able to ever get the gamesave back onto the gamecart, but then I won't ever need to.

Edit: At first, my Acekard would not read the gamesave I dumped.
That was quickly fixed by opening the save in pokésav, then saving it in pokésav.
It read after that.
smile.gif

Edit: Okay, you guys should know it'll seem to correctly dump the gamesave about 99%, but there will be errors.
In particular I found that it turned two of my pokémon into bad eggs, because they had irregular EVs that weren't legal, and that many pokémon had corrupted names like King?er, Zuba?, Bune?ry or Abra???????
The good news is the save remains totally playable and you can manually fix these errors using Pokésav.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happy it worked for you. With there being a patch/mod to allow all Pokemon to be caught in either game, I'm thinking I might just do this. Only issue is I wouldn't be able to play in any official games (Pokemon League or Nintendo Events).
frown.gif

Ones question thougg: How did two of your poke have illegal EVs on a retail cart? Trade from pre-hacked save?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gumbyx84 said:
Happy it worked for you. With there being a patch/mod to allow all Pokemon to be caught in either game, I'm thinking I might just do this. Only issue is I wouldn't be able to play in any official games (Pokemon League or Nintendo Events).
frown.gif

Ones question thougg: How did two of your poke have illegal EVs on a retail cart? Trade from pre-hacked save?
No, see I had a Mewtwo that has 252 Speed and Special Attack Evs, but somehow when I dumped the gamesave it ended up with roughly 60 extra EVs in two other stats, and turned into a bad egg.
I got rid of those bogus Evs using Pokésav, and Mewtwo was fixed.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
gumbyx84 said:
frown.gif

No, see I had a Mewtwo that has 252 Speed and Special Attack Evs, but somehow when I dumped the gamesave it ended up with roughly 60 extra EVs in two other stats, and turned into a bad egg.
I got rid of those bogus Evs using Pokésav, and Mewtwo was fixed.

Ah ok. Makes sense then. Was a bit worried they might be lost forever. I like to backup my Pokemon games once I have beaten them so I don't loss all my progress when I eventually replay them, so find this app helps me out greatly.

JJBro1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
k i downloaded the savhax and got my save file opened it and saved in pokesav just fine. Now everytime I click continue I get stuck on 2 black screens. Is this happening for anyone else?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.