SOPA has reincarnated as CISPA

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
InternetCensorship061208.gif

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act is a bill similar to the Stop Online Piracy Act that’s gaining traction in the U.S. House of Representatives.
H.R. 3532, similarly to SOPA, emphasizes digital piracy and file sharing, while also considering the infringement of intellectual property as a security threat. The House bill has gained more than 100 sponsors thus far.
Under CISPA, Internet service providers and other companies could be forced to share user data with government agencies.
“[CISPA] would let companies spy on users and share private information with the federal government and other companies with near-total immunity from civil and criminal liability. It effectively creates a ‘cybersecurity’ exemption to all existing laws,” according to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
Among EFF’s concerns is the bill’s vague language, in that companies like Google, Facebook or Twitter could intercept emails, text messages or browsing habits, transmit it to each other or to government agencies and then modify the communications to remove infringing or threatening material, or simply block the data from getting to its destination all together.
SOPA and its Senate companion bill the PROTECT IP Act were shelved in January following mass online protests from major Web companies and digital freedom advocates. European protests against the Anti-Counterfieting Trade Agreement compelled many EU countries to delay or drop ratification of the treaty.
The American Civil Liberties Union has objected to these and similar bills and created a detailed chart of all of the current cyber security and antipiracy proposals.

:arrow: Source

Fuck off U.S. Gov't. Stop trying to police the whole world.

Reactions: 12 people

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This one will be taken down, then a new unstoppable act will take its place and will be as legal as cigars to +18 aged people.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't you just love how our government does these things for our benefit? Sodding wankers.... And for the record, I don't like the ACLU at all, but this is one thing I can agree with them on. And did it say that ISPs want my personal information to pass on to Big Brother? Fine by me, but I don't recall anyone ever saying it had to be correct information, right?

rad140

GBAtemp's "over quoter"
Trophies
Website
rad140.livejournal.com
XP
Country
Canada
Why am I not surprised?

Additionally, a wide range of
major industry and cyber associations, such as Facebook, Microsoft, the US Chamber
Commerce, the Business Roundtable, the Internet Security Alliance, TechAmerica, and many
others have sent letters of support for the bill.
From http://intelligence.house.gov/press-release/co-sponsors-top-100-rogers-ruppersberger-bipartisan-cyber-bill

Why am I not surprised.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't you just love how our government does these things for our benefit? Sodding wankers.... And for the record, I don't like the ACLU at all, but this is one thing I can agree with them on. And did it say that ISPs want my personal information to pass on to Big Brother? Fine by me, but I don't recall anyone ever saying it had to be correct information, right?

I do love it, especially how they shot down that SOPA/PIPA bill because the public didn't like it.

Goddamn wankers, always going against the people they protect, how dare they!

Gh0sti

iOS Guru
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well its game over i mean cmon most file sharing sites are shutting down, since megaupload, and pirate bay is being hit left and right with lawsuits and attempts to shut down although they are making those flying robots that will act as servers around cities

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
they obviously have to push it through in some way now that they have ratified acta, so if this bill dies there will be another one and another one and so on simply because they have to after agreeing with the acta.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I will personally go to America, sponsor CISPA if they add some small print to ban MLP from the Internet.

Spy on me all you want, at least I don't have picture folders full of cartoon ponies!

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night