Sony + Nintendo?

Jackson Ferrell

I don't like SJWs
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've been having some thoughts about Nintendo and Sony trying to join together on more morally-sound contracts (as they both screwed up the first time). Realistically, how do you think it would be able to happen?

Raverrevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only reason it would never happen would be because they would have to compromise too much. Neither company is doing terrible at the moment so to think of anything of either merging is total fan service.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does Nintendo have much to offer? They were among the top big swinging dicks of the computer game world back at the end of the SNES. Today, not quite a bit player but them doing their own hardware is more of a quirk and most of their interesting patents have run out. They have a fairly decent library they could look to but nothing earth shattering. In some circles I guess Nintendo is still recognised as a "family friendly" company but not that much.

I am sure Nintendo could make an offer that Sony would be a fool to refuse but a mutually beneficial arrangement that would actually get people to pause? Most things Nintendo would do would hurt Nintendo's short term ambitions with hardware, their longer term efforts if they are going to go software only some day might be different.

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sony have been there before and got screwed over by Nintendo ... I don't think they will get a second chance. Boy did Nintendo back the wrong horse in that race haha

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We never fail to bring up the botched partnership between Nintendo and Sony but few seem to remember that Sega also turned down a similar deal. We could very well have had a Sega/Sony PlayStation.

Anyway, are you talking a merger or just a partnership involving some new hardware? Not sure if either would be mutually beneficial, but maybe something smaller like a game or a film (Sony almost did make a movie apparently) project. The other, of course, could be cross-platform multiplayer...

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We never fail to bring up the botched partnership between Nintendo and Sony but few seem to remember that Sega also turned down a similar deal. We could very well have had a Sega/Sony PlayStation.

(sorry thread must have gotten away from me)

Sony only went to Sega AFTER Nintendo went behind their backs and partnered with Philips. Yes Sega did turn them down, but Sony also ended up poaching a number of influential staff from Sega but not before Sega told Sony they didn't know how to make Hardware and didn't know how to make software so what use were they to Sega ? I think we can agree that is the worst decision that Sega ever made.

Nintendo have a problem, a big problem. Although they are hardly struggling right now, they aren't the force that they once were but they have the attitude they can throw their weight around and still try to operate like it's 1993 when they were at the top. The next 10 years or so for Nintendo are gonna be trying, they have to realise that stuff that they have always gotten with in the past away they can't any longer.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu