OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
6An2DdC.png

Sony has finally discontinued the production and sales of their previous handheld console, the Playstation Portable.

Just short of the handheld console's 10th anniversary, Sony today ended PlayStation Portable sales, instead turning its focus to the PS Vita. Japanese users can trade in their PSP to earn a discount toward Sony's handheld Vita console. "By all means, please consider your transfer to the PS Vita from the PSP on this occasion," a translated Sony news release said. Perhaps as added incentive, the company today also announced two new PS Vita colors—blue/black and red/black, available in limited quantities starting July 10 for 18,980 Yen ($185.45). Sony released its first portable gameplay device in December 2004, selling more than 67 million PSPs worldwide as of early 2011.

A good end to a good handheld. One of the first real competitors to Nintendo's portable consoles, and while it didn't have the same sales figures as the DS line, it sure as hell held it's head up through it all.

EDIT: It should be noted that the news posts lists the discontinuation being only for Japan, however I would assume the US/EU will be announced soon as well.

Source

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I read somewhere else that they were gonna keep selling them in Latin america and some Asian countries.

And in EU until the end of year.

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the most important things is to always remember such an out going console the PSP was while where sitting back with our PSP and play our good ole pirated store bought PSP games

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Was a great handheld.
Project Diva,Kingdom Hearts, lots of Final Fantasys,Dissidia,Harvest Moon,The 3rd Birthday etc etc.
It will be in my heart next to PS2 <3

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sad to see the legacy end.

On the upside, dev focus will shift to Vita thus resulting in moar gaems dead horse jokes.

P

pasc

Wow. Feels like yesterday.
When I was happy to get one.

Also my first sony device. (Console wise).

Neat little thing.

Had some great emulators.

Reactions: MegaAce™

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
wow, Piracy really killed that thing quick.....:glare:

This made me laugh. Thank you. :lol:

Anyway, I haven't spent that much time with the PSP (picked it up less than two years ago, and only really played through two games on it, to be honest), but it's a really nice little handheld, and I'm glad to have it. I only hope the Vita has a library as unique as the PSP when the time comes.

Speaking of which, maybe the PSP will get another price drop at the likes of GameStop. I've been thinking of getting a PSPGo to complement my PSP-3000. I'm totally looking forward to playing my PSN-purchased, totally-not-backup-loaded digital games on it. :yaypsp:

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
translated Sony news said:
"By all means, please consider your transfer to the PS Vita from the PSP on this occasion,"

They prolly say that purely cause of the ease of piracy on it.

Shame tho.
I actually like the PSP.
Neat lil handheld.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare