Sonic Unleashed iPhone

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Jun 5, 2009.

Jun 5, 2009

Sonic Unleashed iPhone by granville at 3:54 AM (3,993 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Here's a surprise. I remember reading on a forum that Sonic Unleashed would have an iPhone version. Didn't think much of it and thought it would be some minigame thing or something. Surprise, surprise. It was unveiled at E3 to be a 2D sidescroller that looks like the lovechild of Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush. Check out the video here-

Sorry about the quality, maybe high quality will be better.

http://wireless.ign.com/dor/objects/143549...one_trl_e3.html

For those who can't or don't want to watch a video, check these screens-

Warning: Spoilers inside!

I have to give them credit, this looks good! I'm stunned. It might actually be decent or fun. Although I don't have an iPhone. They should do a DS port of it perhaps. The resolution is perfect IMO. Didn't expect this, and I'll keep an eye on it. No date yet.

It should be noted that Sega appears to not have much of a hand in this if any at all. It is being both developed and published by Gameloft according to IGN. Maybe that's for the best that Sega isn't making it. Some of the better Sonic games during the past 7 years or so have been out of Sega's hands. Dimps made both the Advance series and the Rush series.

2. Big Kong Boss

Member Big Kong Boss GBAtemp Fan

Korea, South
    Man, all I can say is..wow.

I wouldn't mind playing this.

3. ZeroEXE93

Member ZeroEXE93 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hopefully this game is a lot better than its console counterparts. This just may be the first paid app I buy for my iPhone. >_

4. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    best thing sega's made in a while (relating to sonic). seriously.

5. granville
    OP

United States
    It should be noted that Sega is neither developing or publishing this according to IGN. Gameloft is. That might be why it looks decent.

6. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Yeah but this is sad that this game looks more playable then the Xbox360/PS3 counterpart. I mean it just screams originality; the werehog attack gameplay is not like GoW!

7. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    it should be played on its side to give more horizontal space

8. DrCaptainHarlock

Member DrCaptainHarlock Hustle bones comin' out my mouth

Japan
    Wow, this could be decent, although the controls probably won't be so good since I think the iphone doesn't have any actual buttons, IDK.

9. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    Is this made my dimps? Because this looks really like SonicRush! Looks good but on screen buttons is always not so good...

10. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    If they released this on the DS it would not sit well against the two Rush games unless it is heavily remade or released as DSiWare.

I thought that this will be bad to play with phone buttons or worse with iPhones lack of buttons but you'll probably just have to jump every now and again like eith the DS games. [​IMG]

11. EnigmaXtreme

Member EnigmaXtreme GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    The funny thing is; this probably plays better then the Wii version XD

12. JDandy

Member JDandy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Destined to fail. Some things just work with the iPhone's lack of buttons, and some things just don't.
    Games like Puzzle Quest, Aurora Feint 2; Arena Daemons, Knights Onrush, Peggle and Isotope work marvellously (and they're fantastic games) and really show the merits of the iPod Touch/iPhone as a gaming platform: Quick, Pick up and play games with simple controls.

Then there's the things that just don't work. Hero of Sparta, Resident Evil; Degeneration, Pacman, the first iPhone Sonic game. Sure, they look nice, but the controls suck, and with the iPhone's battery life, you don't want to be playing hardware intensive 3D games. Disregard pacman for a moment, that one's all about the clunky controls.

When it comes to controls, and shoddy iPhone ports (not that Pacman is a shoddy port, again, all about the controls there) the problem is best shown with emulated games.

Be fair, we all jailbreak our iPod Touch/iPhone (unless you're a giant scaredy-cat) for whatever reason. ( I did it so I could have a frikken background, everything else was a bonus)
    And we all pirate iPhone apps from you-know-where (since if you're going to do something, you might as well go all the way).
    And SOME of us think that playing SNES/NES/GBA/PSX on their iThing is a good idea (getting tired of typing both pod and touch).

NES; Ever tried playing super mario bros with the onscreen d-pad and buttons? Say goodbye to skill AND accuracy, insofar as you had any.
    SNES; RPG's, such as Shin Megami Tensei 2 or Fire Emblem 4 work PERFECTLY and excellently with an onscreen pad. Ghosts and Goblins.... not. Zombies ate my neighbors... not.
    GBA; FFTA works great since it's turn based. Boktai 3...not so much.

Bottom line extends to Sonic Unleashed iPhone; There's games that work with a no-button all-touch setup, and there's games that just NEED a solid controller.

13. granville
    OP

United States
    I'm partially in agreement with JDandy. Which reaffirms my opinion that they should have made this a DS game. They could easily port it to the DS too since the screen orientation is similar and it uses simple 2D for sprites and graphics. The DS can actually do much better than this technically.

And no Master Mo, this is not made by Dimps. It's Gameloft. They made a ton of mobile games, which were both good and bad. They did some DS and console games too, but they seem pretty shovelware like or puzzle oriented. But perhaps they WILL port this to the DS one way or another eventually. This looks like the Sonic Rush 3 we haven't gotten (yet).

14. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    The speed the game seems to play at looks awful compared to what is actually capable with the device.

15. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Hooray for having an iPod Touch. Someone needs to have an iPod Touch/iPhone Essentials thread, I have no idea what all the good games are for it.

16. JDandy

Member JDandy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Too bad we're at GBAtemp XD. But yeah, iPod gaming news and reviews are kind of hard to come by. I use this site for the latest news. (If you liked Puzzle Quest on the DS, pick up the iPod version, it's superior.)

17. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Ooh, thanks very much, that's really useful.

EDIT: Oh wow, they're making a version of Prey for iPod Touch [​IMG].