Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Introduction
Sega once again tries to make a sonic game to please the ever criticizing sonic fans they've made many mistakes in past games with their failed werehog levels in unleashed and the the absolute joke of giving sonic a sword have they finally dumped all the gimmicks and truly made a sonic game that does 3d right?

Gameplay
Sega have finally made the gameplay what it was meant to be like in unleashed levels it's fast, it's crazy and best of all it's all sonic! Levels start out in 3d or 2d than switch over between each other mainly in all the levels however some levels are just plain 2d the whole level.

The levels consist of everything sonic was made for there's plenty of loops, spring boards, running up and down walls, grinding and flying through boost rings. There's plenty of enemies too however their easily dismissed with a quick homing attack or using wisp power to just bulldoze right through them. Most of the levels consist of in the 3d parts anyway just pushing forward and homing into a spring or boost pad and than watching sonic rocket around a loop or bounce off a dozen walls a quick home attack into a few enemies and you reach the end ring goal.

The levels in 2d and 2d parts your going to be doing some actual platform jumping but pretty much nearly all the levels sonic will take off and you just push forward and watch him run through all the 3d parts now and than you will be able to control (if you can call it that) sonic freely while running although the handling is far from perfect. Sonic is sluggish and you will be running into walls and sometimes even off the level to your death as his turning just plain sux.

A few levels you will have to relay on wisp powers to get you through them these are all mainly 2d.

There are also parts where you'll be able to sidestep quickly to the left and right to avoid obstacles or giant robots that are chasing you shooting you with lasers these areas handle pretty well and their also pretty fast paced. Other areas consist of you bouncing on a moving spring platform as the screen scrolls and avoiding stuff...these levels suck!

Most of the levels are really well designed and you won't get lost or run into parts where you don't know what to do next others are the complete opposite and will involve a little thinking to figure out where the hell to go next 1 stage on planet wisp comes to mind...

Speaking of planets there are 6 planets to explore each with 6 levels and a boss plus an end level where your just running they are tropical resort, starlight carnival, sweet sweet mountain, planet wisp, aquatic park, asteroid coaster (my personal hated.) each planet has it's own theme TR is laid back and easy, SC is fun bright and fast SSM has some great drill and rocket parts (we'll get to that in a min) PM is mainly a huge tower to climb as well as some annoying jumping levels, AP has 2d underwater levels with the air bubbles making a return and AC the biggest whore of a level has confusing and fast paced levels where if you don't react quickly you will die.. and finally there's the terminal velocity level where your mainly running dodging lasers, robots and other obstacles with the final battle against eggman.

Sega have also taken a page straight out of galaxy and added the wisp powers when sonic absorbs these you can transform into a variety of things such as a laser to ricochet off walls, drill to tunnel into the ground, a rocket ship to shoot up into the air, the ability to hover, cling to and roll up walls, some blue thing to smash blocks and turn blue coins into blocks and vice-versa and some purple thing that can smash through blocks and enemies and gets bigger the more it eats. These powers although not all available from the start will allow you to enter stages again and unlock hidden areas to search for red coins or simply take another route.

Controls
You've got the option to play with the wii mote or a gamecube controller with this i think the CC works too but i don't have one. I choose my trusty wavebird and it works pretty well no matter what you use the controls are always the same button to jump and if pushed twice lets you double jump, button to dash if you have wisp energy, button to duck or slide, button to activate wisp powers and button for menu.

if you push jump when locked into an enemy or spring etc you'll do a homing attack if your in the air and you push duck/slide sonic will do a stomp attack to smash through crates or go down really fast using this on a spring also makes him jump a lot higher. Controls work pretty well until your in free roam 3d mode when you'll find sonic handles like a dump truck.

Graphics
Graphics are nicely polished for a wii game no fancy HD graphics are needed the game looks stunning except for the cut scenes but you shouldn't pay much attention to them anyway in fact i advise you to skip them
tongue.gif
Yes there are cut scenes in this and as usual sonic has to run his mouth off especially after beating a boss he never shuts up about how GOOD he is the voice overs not too hot either.

Sound
Now this is where this game shines the soundtrack is spectacular some of the best music i've heard in a video game in a long time it's a mix of techno, heavy metal and awesome guitars! Go get the OST now of course i can't post the link here due to the prudes but it's OUT THERE if you know where to look
smileipb2.png

Lasting Replay
Reply is pretty good the levels are fun and you can go back and play them again and again, looking for other routes, grabbing them red coins you missed and trying to get an S rating which you get with more points.

Later on you can also unlock challenge mode which lets you play through all the levels without going through the maps to see if you can get the best time although i find it's main use is to just play all the levels without the map is much more handier.

There's lots of red coins to collect to unlock new levels in the sonic simulator (oh didn't i mention that?) the sonic sim allows you and a buddy to race through a level in glorious 8bit in a mix of 2d and 3d and complete with 8bit soundtracks of some of the levels in the game! But you'll want to get all the red coins and also get an S rating in every level? Why you ask? Oh just a little something called: SUPER SONIC UNLOCKED AND PLAYABLE IN ALL LEVELS!!

Overall
Sega finally did it and made a 3D sonic game worthy of praise it still has a few flaws though like them turning issues and some of the levels (asteroid coaster!) being confusing and a big piss off i would have rated it higher if it wasn't for this.

score 8/10

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
what i like about this game is that they didn't try too hard on Sonics voice actor.
normally they try and get it as close as possible to the first voice actor but i didn't mind this one so much.

EDIT: but yeah, game is awesome.
KingdomBlade said:
Decent review, but annoying to read. Please, next time, check your spelling, grammar, and punctuation. You can just slap it on any word processor to do so if you would like to do it quickly.
yet you over use commas.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
KingdomBlade said:
Decent review, but annoying to read. Please, next time, check your spelling, grammar, and punctuation. You can just slap it on any word processor to do so if you would like to do it quickly.
checked with FF says it's fine
closedeyes.gif

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
EDIT: but yeah, game is awesome.
KingdomBlade said:
Decent review, but annoying to read. Please, next time, check your spelling, grammar, and punctuation. You can just slap it on any word processor to do so if you would like to do it quickly.yet you over use commas.

Well, I use commas since spacings and stops between words are really hard to convey in written English. I use sort of a spoken style of English when writing and that is why I overuse commas. It's not like I overuse commas in a term paper or something.

Bladexdsl said:
QUOTE(KingdomBlade @ Nov 12 2010, 08:16 PM)
checked with FF says it's fine
closedeyes.gif

Firefox only checks spelling and not grammar and punctuation as far as I know.

Back to the topic, it's nice to finally see a Sonic game for the Wii that isn't that horrible. It seems interesting actually.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the only really horrible stages are the asteroid coaster now what i think has happened is sega have run out of time and they've just rushed the levels cos there's quite a few mistakes in them.

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
surprisingly, it doesnt look too bad... which is good. its nice to see a 3D (yet linear) Sonic game as all the 3D free roaming games where it turned out it was so hard to control sonic in the 3D space and therefore not fun to play. This takes the best of both worlds, 3D and 2D and unlike sonic 4, actually looks playable and cool.

Demerits go to sega for continuing with the "A" to attack enemies... thats just dumb... go back to your roots even further and disallow this sort of BS.

and thats me done

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
KingdomBlade said:
Firefox only checks spelling and not grammar and punctuation as far as I know.
Yeah, Word and all that shit correct grammar alright, but have you actually seen the results of letting Word correct everything? The text will make absolutely no sense anymore.

Now don't come telling me you should always look to see if Word failed at correcting something, because that defeats the entire purpose of letting your text's grammar and spelling be checked by a machine.

Oh, and ontopic: Sonic Colours is one of the best Sonic games ever IMO.

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Great review, very informative. I was trying to decide if it was worth it to try to get it working on my cart, looks like I'll be going for it.

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
Bladexdsl said:
Anne Noise said:
Bladexdsl said:
definitely the best 3d sonic ever made

What're first and second? (Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles for me.)
their not 3d though

He thought that you said 3rd instead of 3d.

Oh, yeah, I'm clearly a moron, haha. Sorry. Late night, no sleep, blah blah. My bad.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Anne Noise said:
Great review, very informative. I was trying to decide if it was worth it to try to get it working on my cart, looks like I'll be going for it.

This review is for the Wii version. From what I hear, the DS game is basically a Rush sequel, so if you liked those, there you go.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
I think both of the sonic colours games on the ds and wii are amazing, i like the wii version so much it reminds me of sonic adventure 2 battle mixed in with the daytime levels from sonic unleashed, and the powerup(wisps)s are a really nice touch despite what lametrailers might say they are implemented well into every stage and you can replay stages later on and use your new powerups you didn't have before to make the stage feel like a new experiance

The graphics are brilliant for a wii game, lots of shader effects, very high framerate and smooth animations i noticed in the aquarium levels that the water looks beautiful from the surface.

The physics are also very good and an improvement over unleashed in my opinion (i played the 360 version) also a huge improvement over sonic 06 which was like trying to control a bull in a china shop.

The music is really catchy and all of the tracks are dissimilar which is good too, one of the best reasons to play this game is to listen to its awesome sound tracks.

The story is kinda funny in parts if you watch the cut scenes but not really important and completely skip able which is why im so shocked lametrailers used it as part of there review score, especially when the never judge mario games based on there story.

in my opinion i would give the wii version a 9 especially since its much better than all the other sonic games on wii.

The ds version is great too and obviously based of the rush engine, the wisps are well used in the level design and a requirement in most. the bonus levels are really fun too but what i don't like are the missions or rather the way they are layed out i would rather select the level and then the mission like in sonic adventure 2, i really like the boss battles in this game too

To put it simply its pretty much sonic rush with wisps and some colourful new level designs although its a little short imo it gets an 8

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night