Gaming Sonic Boom Gameplay

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
they bring up "Sonic isn't fast" really?
Unfortunately, that's just how Sonic games are. The games of old feel fast, but they don't play fast. Try playing Sonic 1, sure Green Hill is nice and fast, but don't try to tell me once you get to Marble Zone that Sonic is fast. Sega made Sonic feel like a fast character, but in most games he's actually slow (or rather, normal). Yes, there are games in which Sonic is made to be very fast, like Sonic Advance series, in which you can pretty much spin dash yourself to the end of the level.

I think Sonic was slower in Lost World than he is in Boom and IGN gave that game a 5.8, so yeah.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
he doesn't need to be fast all the time. he needs to be fast and have great platforming like the genesis sonics. that's what is missing in todays sonic games.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
he doesn't need to be fast all the time. he needs to be fast and have great platforming like the genesis sonics. that's what is missing in todays sonic games.

My point above contradicts just that. Old Genesis Sonic games weren't actually "fast". Especially for us PAL/AUS folk thanks to 50Hz. :)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My point above contradicts just that. Old Genesis Sonic games weren't actually "fast". Especially for us PAL/AUS folk thanks to 50Hz. :)
no no no there were fast parts like he would run down a wall go round a few loops etc all throughout the level and than the rest was platforming. that is how a sonic game needs to be! generations got it close

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Sonic not being fast wasn't what made the game(s) shit. It was one of the many reasons, but not the only reason....

Never said that, I LOVE Sonic. Especially the Genesis era games! But it's a common misconception to think Sonic is a "blue blur" and turning every corner at 300km/h. It's just not what Sonic is about. That is what marketing made us think. He's awfully slow in some games to the point you could replace him with Mario and it's essentially the same game experience. Oh, wait. Somari. :wtf:

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Never said that, I LOVE Sonic. Especially the Genesis era games! But it's a common misconception to think Sonic is a "blue blur" and turning every corner at 300km/h. It's just not what Sonic is about. That is what marketing made us think. He's awfully slow in some games to the point you could replace him with Mario and it's essentially the same game experience. Oh, wait. Somari. :wtf:

There is actually a good Game Theory video on the speed of sonic and how mario actually moves faster than sonic based on how big the levels are and how big the characters are and how long it takes you to get from start to finish...

Reactions: shinkodachi

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
There is actually a good Game Theory video on the speed of sonic and how mario actually moves faster than sonic based on how big the levels are and how big the characters are and how long it takes you to get from start to finish...

Nice video, explaining my point well. Might I say a criticizing point about it however? As a dedicated Sonic fan I couldn't help but notice he applied the height of Sonic in '06 to the original Genesis game. We know Sonic is an adult in '06 and taller than "Classic" Sonic. So the height calculated from Sonic '06 should then be applied to Generations where we see both Sonics standing next to each other in the cutscenes and calculate the proper height for Sonic in the Genesis era. If my calculations are right he'd be just 20m/s fast, equaling Mario. This means Sonic isn't faster or slower than Mario. As unfortunate as it sounds, this also means the existence of the abomination that is Somari is valid...

Carry on... :D

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nice video, explaining my point well. Might I say a criticizing point about it however? As a dedicated Sonic fan I couldn't help but notice he applied the height of Sonic in '06 to the original Genesis game. We know Sonic is an adult in '06 and taller than "Classic" Sonic. So the height calculated from Sonic '06 should then be applied to Generations where we see both Sonics standing next to each other in the cutscenes and calculate the proper height for Sonic in the Genesis era. If my calculations are right he'd be just 20m/s fast, equaling Mario. This means Sonic isn't faster or slower than Mario. As unfortunate as it sounds, this also means the existence of the abomination that is Somari is valid...

Carry on... :D

You should message the guy who makes the videos and ask him why he didn't do that.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Unfortunately, that's just how Sonic games are. The games of old feel fast, but they don't play fast. Try playing Sonic 1, sure Green Hill is nice and fast, but don't try to tell me once you get to Marble Zone that Sonic is fast. Sega made Sonic feel like a fast character, but in most games he's actually slow (or rather, normal). Yes, there are games in which Sonic is made to be very fast, like Sonic Advance series, in which you can pretty much spin dash yourself to the end of the level.

I think Sonic was slower in Lost World than he is in Boom and IGN gave that game a 5.8, so yeah.

I was never bothered that Sonic was slow, in fact he always felt slow to me for the exception of Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Gens and Dimps GBA/DS titles so that isn't the point that matters here.

Sonic Boom just fails to be an actual good game that has a solid gameplay with great platforming stages, music, plus additionally story and voice acting (not necessary but a good bonus).

IGN is just being fucking dumb focusing on an aspect that the game wasn't made for and it's on a different genre rather than going fast. Sonic Boom is like a poorly done rip-off of Ratchet & Clank's or Lego. While Lego is always all the same for every of its iteration they have nailed it and works perfectly so I can't fault them there.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
While Lego is always all the same for every of its iteration they have nailed it and works perfectly so I can't fault them there.

actually lego batman 3 is a little different. you can actually for the 1st time get most of the side quests done before completing the story. and unlocking stuff this time around you can actually use them for something. like the vehicles this time you can unlock them and use them in race only side quests. and there's a switch you can activate that lets you use freeplay mode in the hub levels before completing story.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think we can leave that just there. ;) I haven't yet tried Sonic Boom. I'll judge it from the POV of it being a platformer not a Sonic game, but you'll have to wait until the 21st before I get my hands on it...
if you can go play it at a store before you make the mistake...just make sure you have some industrial strength soap to wash your hands afterwards :creep:

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
if you can go play it at a store before you make the mistake...just make sure you have some industrial strength soap to wash your hands afterwards :creep:

There's a GAME store nearby but I doubt they have Sonic Boom although it might be worth checking out since Nintendo/Sega aren't going to release a demo of it.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
At least Sega has upped its marketing game this time around. So by the time they realize Generations 2 is a thing fans want and start working on it, maybe they'll actually market it so that all four diehard Sonic fans (including me) get interested...

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
At least Sega has upped its marketing game this time around. So by the time they realize Generations 2 is a thing fans want and start working on it, maybe they'll actually market it so that all four diehard Sonic fans (including me) get interested...

Sonic Generations 2 needs to happen definitely! It's one of the best Sonic games ever created!

Platforms it should be on: PS4, PC, Wii U, Xbox One and 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==