Something that will be needed on GBATemp.net

Are you in favor for a Steam Console Section on GBATemp?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • No.

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Yes, but Steam Link and SteamBox separated.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yea, there will be a new section needed on GBATemp.net soon.
You know there are those section such as Wii, Wii U, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, XBox 360, XBox One, etc.
Well a new section will be needed soon : Steam Console, for Steam Link, Steam controller and SteamBox.

Who's in favor for this?

Reactions: sweis12

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think so, since they're technically running on Debian Linux or Windows, so they could be counted as PCs/Computers. Steam Link just streams games from another PC.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does that mean they shall be easy to hack/bypass?
There's no real "hacking" since it's still a normal desktop computer. You could install your own OS on it if you want just like any other. If you or anyone can point me to a Steam machine that doesn't allow that, point it out please.

Reactions: yuyuyup

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't think it will allow us to install pirated game without doing anything to the console such as homebrew or bypass...
I still don't think it needs its own section since anything that's general Steam related will fit just fine under the PC section and there won't be enough Steam Console-specific things to warrant it having its own section.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, please tell me, what are all the console made by steam/Valve?
I know there are Steam Link and Steam box, but is there any other one?
Valve itself isn't making the "Steam box", other manufacturers are. And all of them are going to run Linux (again, usually Debian) or Windows.

It's just a fancy-named PC with Steam pre-installed.

Reactions: yuyuyup

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Valve itself isn't making the "Steam box", other manufacturers are. And all of them are going to run Linux (again, usually Debian) or Windows.

It's just a fancy-named PC with Steam pre-installed.
Lol, I know that, it's juste like PCs, they aren't all made by microsoft, but you know what I meant, except Steambox and Steam Link, are there any other console like those two?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And every different build.
Welcome to the Windows:8.1:6.3.9428.0.winmain bluemp.130612-1715 category!
Do you even want one with every different PC config?

One for :
X motherboard
X GB RAM
X TB HDD
X GB SSD
X GHZ CPU
X GPU

One for :
Y Mor erboard
Y GB RAM
Y TB HDD
Y GB SSD
Y GHZ CPU
Y GPU

Reactions: Kelton2

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I voted no for obvious reasons: steam link and the steam controller are hardware peripherals, and are thus better suited for this section.

The term 'steambox' shows to me, more than anything else, that the TS doesn't have a clue what he's talking about (sorry, @Noctosphere...but despite this discussion being 2 pages, I don't think you grasped the concept here).

Let me put it simple: STEAMBOX DOESN'T EXIST. I'm not even exaggerating in any way, as valve themselves sort of relabeled it into "steam machines" (if they coined the phrase "steambox" to begin with...I sort of suspect the gaming media went with hinges, rumors and/or speculation as to the name). And what is a "steam machine"? Any PC that can run steam. Yes...sometimes it IS as simple as that.
From what I got from the announcement was that steam machines were supposed to run on steamOS, a linux distribution built on debian. But since valve doesn't build the actual machines themselves, the partners got their own line-up they could call "steam machines" if they want to (it's somewhat akin to "alienware", I guess. Or perhaps the nintendo seal of approval. In any case, the name means nothing but the simple fact that it can run steam). And since valve decided to postpone things until ready, at least some of the partners said "screw this!" and released a "steam machine" with windows* instead of the then-beta steamOS.

I'm assuming you didn't knew any of this, @Noctosphere . But really...in the end, your question comes down to "who's in favor of having a separate section of PC's that can run steam". Or in yet other words: "I want a separate section of the PC forum that is exactly the same as the previous one"**. And I think we'll agree that isn't exactly serving any purpose...right? :-)

*steamOS is supposed to end the stranglehold windows has over PC games, but until big companies like EA, ubisoft or capcom massively start releasing games on linux, this goal is dead in the water. The very fact that the partners switch OS sort of proves that.
**seriously: steam runs fine on linux (at least ubuntu, mint and steamOS...I assume debian and some other distro's as well).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.