Hacking Something terrifying!

Awesome turtwig

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you know how Nintendo needs you to sign up to their site in order to go on the shop channel. Well there is a new feature on Nintendo's site that if you register your products you get free stuff. So I went on my account (the one that I signed up for the shop channel with) and registered my DS. And to my amazement all my legally bought channels and my DS popped up on the registered list. Now since Nintendo can see what channels we bought, can they see what channels we have on our systems too? And get us in trouble with the law for having those channels? I hope not.

Mrkinator

Neil Peart Wannabe
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo Channel
closedeyes.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well they can see what you have also everytime you access to the WiiShop, but they still do nothing against you piracyness so I'll recomend to use:

[turnOFF]
PARANOID MOD
[/turnOFF]

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, they could. But they probably don't.

They're in all likelihood not looking directly at your Wii's installed channels. They would have a list of the channels you've bought in a database and they're looking that up. They could very well examine the title list in your Wii at some point, either when you connect if it's in the current firmware or with a future update.

They probably won't because chasing individual people is messy and ugly and expensive and generally has poor results: they'd effectively need to undertake a global RIAA-style campaign which would at the very least shit all over years of marketing of Nintendo as friendly and nice and cost a lot of money in lawyers that would never be recouped in settlements or in court.

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
lll said:
Yes, they could. But they probably don't.

They're in all likelihood not looking directly at your Wii's installed channels. They would have a list of the channels you've bought in a database and they're looking that up. They could very well examine the title list in your Wii at some point, either when you connect if it's in the current firmware or with a future update.

They probably won't because chasing individual people is messy and ugly and expensive and generally has poor results: they'd effectively need to undertake a global RIAA-style campaign which would at the very least shit all over years of marketing of Nintendo as friendly and nice and cost a lot of money in lawyers that would never be recouped in settlements or in court.
correct beside the fact do you think since they have never caught up yet with the demand on there console manufacturing that they have time to go after what you have on your WII , hahahahaha WoW Cake
wink.gif

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
You'd have to agree to let them look at that kind of data otherwise they would be breaking privacy laws. That's why you get the option to not send usage data to them when using the channel. Anyone with anything dodgy should turn that off or Nintendo will see that you use the HBC etc

Awesome turtwig

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fishears said:
You'd have to agree to let them look at that kind of data otherwise they would be breaking privacy laws. That's why you get the option to not send usage data to them when using the channel. Anyone with anything dodgy should turn that off or Nintendo will see that you use the HBC etc
How do you turn it off then?

UrkeytaY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with the nintendo channel statement.

I mean, if you're tuned into video games...why should anyone besides your friends and or your own research suggest games for you?

Seems a bit invasive to me.

Also, if you're all up on the piracy jive...why not protect yourself?

You've got a brain, use it.

Blasingame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to make an ass out of myself and make an assumption, that Nintendo has bigger fish to fry. In the case of the R4 lawsuits in Japan, Nintendo was concerned with cutting off the producers of hacks rather than the users. Nintendo has been going after chip shops rather than people softmodding or modding their consoles.

Edit: Although I'm not ruling out Nintendo won't go after people exploiting their console, I'm saying it is less likely.

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Come on guys, do you really think that Nintendo got time to loose?
They sold more than x millions copies worlwide, assume half of them are running illegal wads; you really think that they gonna run for all those individuals?

Plus if they really wanted to stop piracy, they shouldn't sell all those PAL Wii's with SM v3.1 onboard... Hmm... I guess they've done it on purpose
unsure.gif

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Awesome turtwig said:
fishears said:
How do you turn it off then?

Nintendo Channel, Settings, Data sharing, Do not agree

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I second that, i was kinda doubtfull about letting it on, but since i switched to Preloader 0.28 and turn standby mod off, i leave my wii connected all the time.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
bugaveli said:
every few days another noob cries because hes scared of a company that cant do anything about anything. OMG MARIOS COMING TO GET ME
He was at my door once, but then the princess got kidnapped again
tongue.gif

No, serious nintendo does nothing, even if you have the Nintendo channel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: @HoTuan You'll need one that hasn't had its stock firmware updated in quite some time, for starters