Hacking Something strange

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I need some help identifying this problem. Here's the problem, my friend's touchscreen doesn't work well playing games. Like when you turn it on it works with the menu and works in picto chat. Then trying out my flashcards on it, it works with those and even running some homebrews it works just fine, but if I try to run a DS game or a rom on it, it locks up and will not work.
The next strange thing, if you go to recalibrate the screen the DS freezes. Does anyone know what's wrong with it?

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
if its locking up on the nintnedo cal screen, your DS might be broken. a likely cause could be that the actualy touch pad is broken, and its causing the DS to flip out, but its hard to say with out testing it in person with other hardware

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
In the neighbourhood
Who ya gonna call?
GHOSTBUSTERS

(YOU GET IT, SOMETHING STRANGE, IN THE NEIGHBOU.... yea.)

Anyway, yea, it's broken.
No other explenation(spelling?) possible. And, I don't think it's fixable by some amateurs, so if I were your friend, I would send it to nintendo.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
wabsta said:
In the neighbourhood
Who ya gonna call?
GHOSTBUSTERS

No other explanation(spelling?) possible. And, I don't think it's fixable by some amateurs, so if I were your friend, I would send it to nintendo.
Fixed your spelling
I have replaced several screens before, so that's nothing I am new to. Just this one freezes when I try to calibrate, which is something I have never really seen happen before.
But you think replacing it should fix the problem?

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Pink Cat Boy said:
wabsta said:
In the neighbourhood
Who ya gonna call?
GHOSTBUSTERS

No other explanation(spelling?) possible. And, I don't think it's fixable by some amateurs, so if I were your friend, I would send it to nintendo.
Fixed your spelling
I have replaced several screens before, so that's nothing I am new to. Just this one freezes when I try to calibrate, which is something I have never really seen happen before.
But you think replacing it should fix the problem?

The calibration problem may be caused from a damaged cable? Like the DS may be trying to get information from the touch screen so it can start the calibration process, but something causes it to lock up/freeze.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it has a screen protector on it, try removing that first. See if it fixes the issue. Sometimes a screen protector can cause strange issues with the touchscreen.

But if it's locking up the DS, that's not good......probably is replace-the-touchscreen time.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Rayder said:
If it has a screen protector on it, try removing that first. See if it fixes the issue. Sometimes a screen protector can cause strange issues with the touchscreen.

But if it's locking up the DS, that's not good......probably is replace-the-touchscreen time.
It doesn't have any screen protection, so I might just replace the screen for him.

QUOTE(DeltaBurnt @ Apr 12 2010, 09:59 PM) The calibration problem may be caused from a damaged cable? Like the DS may be trying to get information from the touch screen so it can start the calibration process, but something causes it to lock up/freeze.
I will take a look at the ribbon later, right now I need to find a new screw driver to take that thing apart, my old one broke recently.

Hecatia

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Dangy said:
Trade it into Gamestop before it gets to bad. :3
People like you really piss me off. I'm sick of buying second hand stuff to find some noob knew it was fucked and sold it to make a quick buck.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ctr3k said:
Dangy said:
Trade it into Gamestop before it gets to bad. :3
People like you really piss me off. I'm sick of buying second hand stuff to find some noob knew it was fucked and sold it to make a quick buck.
My last DS was like that, I was like
mad.gif
hate2.gif
(I didn't really throw it though)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, don't worry atleast that video is a parody +1