Someone Selling Wii U Development Hardware - Worth It?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by osaka35, Feb 7, 2015.

1. osaka35
    OP

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Found someone on craigslist saying they have Wii U development hardware to sell. I asked them how they got their hands on it, they just responded "Nintendo".

Well, should I believe them, would it be of any use to the community to have it? I'd imagine not, what with the browser exploit and all that, but thought I'd ask.

2. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Are there pictures? Ask for pictures. Do a reverse image search on the pictures.

3. osaka35
    OP

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Good idea. They said they'd get back to me tomorrow. I wouldn't imagine a dev kit would be helpful beyond indie developers and the like, correct? and they run about 3 grand?

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  4. WiiuGold

WiiuGold GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2015
    Save your money!! Soon the exploit will be out for wiiu retail

TeamScriptKiddies and osaka35 like this.
  5. Heran Bago

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    It appeals more to collectors. It's pretty much useless for devs as to publish you need a license that matches the dev kit.

It probably isn't any good for hacking or homebrew either considering the tools the homebrew scene has. Plus it would technically be illegal and not totally homebrew if it used the real SDK. Homebrew and hacking people take that stuff seriously.
    e: Oh wait, there is no Wii U homebrew scene! It's still not how they'd like to do things though

Lastly for people interested in game development there are articles out there from devs saying that developing for the Wii U sucks and is a huge headache. We're not talking Sega Saturn development but the debugging is especially annoying. Compare this to the other big consoles where you're basically developing for an OpenGL or DirectX PC it's not worth it.

osaka35 likes this.
  6. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    To an average end-user, they're almost useless, as you need additional software to be able to use them, however, they make great collection pieces until enough of the SDK leaks that you can access any stored content on it. As it stands, there might even be some prototyped software on it, if it's legit that is. If anything, see if they can demo the system for you before you purchase it to ensure that it's an actual dev system (That is after you get past the initial verification of searching the images on Google). Check the entire home menu for any software that isn't retail. If I had money myself, I'd try picking it up haha.

osaka35 likes this.
  7. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    TeamScriptKiddies and osaka35 like this.
  8. osaka35
    OP

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Oh, you!

Well, seller never got back with me, so I'm just going to assume it wasn't genuine. It would have been nice just to have as a collector's piece if nothing else. I'll post again if anything changes.

9. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Run decrypted backups on the dev kit...

10. Heran Bago

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    More likely they sold it and don't want to bother responding to people. Craiglist.

WiiCube_2013 and kehkou like this.
  11. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    what area of the country was it listed in?

12. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Afghanistan, apparently so I heard on craiglist! The package comes 4 kilos heavier as well! :lol:

13. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I'd get one if I could because that Classic Controller port alone makes it worth it.

14. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    Well, if it weren't for the rhythmic ticking and the radioactive(oh and it is probably hard to find something from a "smoke free" home/cave nowadays), it would be a definite buy for me.

Reecey likes this.
  15. osaka35
    OP

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Florida, where all the crazies like to congregate. Ah well. That classic port would have been cool

16. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    Perhaps Nintendo and/or a bunch of Law Sharks and their minions monitor Craigslist and the like for stuff like "DevKit" and take immediate action; either on the cheap with legal threats (North America, Western Europe) or a stack of dollar bills anywhere else.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.