Some questions

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Uzumakijl, Jul 18, 2009.

Jul 18, 2009

Some questions by Uzumakijl at 8:39 PM (1,068 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Uzumakijl
    OP

Member Uzumakijl GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Well, I'm going to get a ps2 next friday, But i don't really know if i should get a modchip or softmod it, Probably the softmod could be the better option since if i mod it this way i get 1 year guarrante, I don't really know much about ps2 escene since i never got one (Skipped it last gen, I just got xbox) but whatever, I would like to know which modchip is the best either which softmod is the best, I was about to get Free MCBoot But patching the isos and so is not very handy for me, Also what really really interests me is the compatibility i would like to know if all mods have a 100% compatibility with all games or so i think that's what matters for me, Btw I know there's google and such and i've did a little of search by miself, but i wanna hear your personal opinions. [​IMG]

2. c2ironfist

Member c2ironfist GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Softmod it with ESR

3. Uzumakijl
    OP

Mexico
    Uhmm, So you say MCBoot, But how good is its compatibility?

4. emupaul

Member emupaul GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm interested in this too, will it work for the new slim models you can buy currently? or should I stick with a older model

5. kalmis

Member kalmis GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Just wanting to point that if you are referring to original Xbox (not Xbox 360) it actually belongs to same generation as PS2. Not that it helps at all but anyway..
    dont drink & post \m/

6. Uzumakijl
    OP

Mexico
    I sayd "Skipped it last gen, I Just got xbox" And i meant with this, I skipped ps2 in the last gen, i only got xbox that gen.

* [​IMG]

I just hope somebody comes here with a bit of info before i make the wrong decision... i really would appreciate any help.

7. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    i had my phat ps2 soft modded before it died, ESR works pretty good but you have to patch each game .iso file before you burn them.
    the only things that don't work are PSX/PS2 cd based games and most PS2 DVD based games work like i'd say at around 95%.
    also you need a gameshark2 or ARMAX and a usb stick to install it, that or someone with it already installed on a PS2 memory card and a usb stick.
    i recommend you get at least a 16MB memory card or bigger too because it will take up a decent bit of space.
    i know it sounds difficult but it's heck of a lot easier than soldering on a mod chip to as ps2.

8. Uzumakijl
    OP

Mexico
    Nice reply, I was wondering about getting ESR, And i think i shouldn't get it cause i want to re-play a lot of games for PSX so i don't really think ESR is good for me, Also the patching thing is kinda..... difficult for me cause if i were going to get some uhmm... "already burned ISOs" i doubt they are patched and since i download at 50kb it's not pretty handy for me to dl/patch neither to re-burn/patch hehe, And yeah softmodding is quite easyer than soldering the modchip, But the compatibility is what i really care so i think a modchip probably is better for me, Also i know someone who can do the soldering so it's ok, Thank you for your reply, I didn't knew that PSX were not compatible with softmods so that's big new for me.

I might end up getting a modchip..... But now all left is to know which one is the best [​IMG]

9. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Get a chip...the Modbo 4.0 is a nice budget option, but there are a range depending upon your money limitations and availability. I'm all for soft mods but nothing beats a nice and easy hard mod if you have the option.

10. Uzumakijl
    OP

Mexico
    Wow, I owe you something, Modbo 4.0 looks awesome

Warning: Spoilers inside!

If this modchip does what it promises it will be the perfect for me, Thank you very much for telling me about this modchip [​IMG] , Well, The money is not an issue i've been saving some money so i can afford at least a 50$ modchip, I just found in google some other modchips and looks like Modbo 4.0 has the better freatures and the price is very reasonable, So i'll try to get this i hope it is on stock where im gonna buy/install.

If there's a better option or somebody knows/has a better metod i would like to hear it [​IMG]

11. dewback

Member dewback GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If looking to run PSX games you need to put in a mod chip. This is the only thing you can not do with a soft mod ps2. If you have not gotten a PS2 yet. Try and find a fat one and get the network adapter so you can put in a hard drive and run the games off of.