Some questions about 3DS and hacking.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by predator100, Jun 30, 2012.

Jun 30, 2012
  1. predator100
    OP

Newcomer predator100 Newbie

Bulgaria
    Hello guys! It's my first post on this forum. I know I will look like an idiot, because I'm new to the whole new gen handheld stuff. So why em I on this forum? Well I want to buy a 3DS and hack it. Previously I've used emulators and all that on my PC, but I want to change that and play anywhere I go. I know that there is difference between a 3DS and a 3DS, so my question is - which update should I look for and which not to? I don't want to buy a 3DS that can't be hacked. And how does the whole cartridge thing work? I've never had any before. Had a GBC and GBA, but I've bought the original games for em. I would appreciate it if someone could explain all that to me. And again I want to say that I'm sorry if posting in the wrong forum, don't forget that I'm a complete noob when it comes to all that stuff. ^^

2. serenade.63

Member serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    inb4 flame

also to answer your question, there is no "hack" for the 3ds, and there likely wont be one for a long time. however, you can use a ds flashcart on a 3ds, but only to play ds games, NOTHING WILL PLAY 3DS GAMES, but these flash carts are capable of running a lot of emulators, pretty much every retro emulator except psx (and i think there is actually one that can run a psx emulator), anyways, you should research ak2i, scdstwo, and r4i gold, the three best cards on the market right now.

3. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    Note that these cards (asside from occasionally being blocked) perform exactly as on a DS.
    For running emus a PSP might be worth a look to afaik.

4. predator100
    OP

Bulgaria
    So maybe I can buy 3DS, avoid updating it and just play the DS games on it with the cartridge while waiting for an official hack?

5. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    An official hack? Like from nintendo?

:glare:

6. predator100
    OP

Bulgaria
    Like a hack that would work for the 3DS games :) like the guys mentioned - the one that I'll have to wait for a long time.

7. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It could be years before the 3DS is hacked; it's even possible that it won't be hacked at all. You're free to buy a 3DS and a DS flashcart to play DS ROMs with, but there is no guarantee that you will ever be able to play 3DS ROMs. You say you don't want to buy a 3DS if it can't be hacked, so you probably shouldn't buy a 3DS. Again, you can play DS ROMs using a DS flashcart, but if you want to play 3DS games, you have to buy and use the retail cartridges like everyone else.

If you're interested in playing DS ROMs, I would recommend you buy something cheaper, like a DS Lite, and a DS flashcart like the R4i Gold 3DS.

If you're interested in playing DS ROMs while also buying and playing retail 3DS games, I would recommend you buy a 3DS and a DS flashcart like the R4i Gold 3DS.

8. predator100
    OP

Bulgaria
    Thanks! That's what I wanted to know. Will the R4i Gold 3DS work for all firmwares?

9. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The R4i Gold 3DS current works on all firmwares of all DS/DSi/3DS systems. However, you should always consult this page to see if your flashcart works with the current 3DS firmware. Flashcarts often times require that you apply an update to them before you update your 3DS to the newest version.

Note: the DS phat and the DS Lite do not receive software updates, so pretty much all flashcarts work on them at all times. For the DSi and the 3DS, you will need a flashcart that can be updated to work with the newer firmwares issued for the DSi/3DS. The R4i Gold 3DS is one of your best options. Old flashcarts like the original R4 cannot be updated, so they only work on the DS phat and the DS Lite.

10. predator100
    OP

Bulgaria
    Thank you so much! I'll buy a 3DS.

11. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    If you want to play GBA games, then you should get the DSTwo flash card.

12. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    Bro before you buy that r4i gold.
    make sure your getting the gold that on the label says r4ids.cn on it. it must be the r4 gold that has that label or else you will have a bad card that will break in 5 minuites of use.

13. predator100
    OP

Bulgaria
    I already got my hands on the 3DS. It's on version 4.1.0-8E. Which European site can you guys recommend me? Some guy mentioned the R4i Gold Plus, is that the best I can get? Found this - http://www.tradeinthebox.com/r4i-gold-plus-deluxe-edition_p467.html but not sure if it's legit or not.

14. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Wait what?

1 person likes this.
  15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    No, only get ones from this list.
    http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get

16. predator100
    OP

Bulgaria
    Different firmware. For example - would you buy a PS3 with firmware 3.56 installed or 3.55? Everyone would buy 3.55, that's the difference if you want to jailbreak it. And it's pretty much the same thing with the 3DS.
    Thank you! So it seems that if I want to play GBA games as well, then I should go for the Supercard DSTWO? Enlighten me if I'm wrong.

17. Rydian

United States
    Correct, but do note that the DSTwo's emulation is still not perfect. Most things are slightly below fullspeed, not all games work, etc... but it's the best you'll get.

18. predator100
    OP

Bulgaria
    And when it comes to the DS games, is the R4i Gold better?

19. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    No, the DSTWO is better in pretty much every way.

20. Rydian

United States
    Yeah the DSTwo has better compatibility with new ROMs (it will often play games without an update needed thanks to it's "clean mode" option, whereas other carts need to update for problematic games), and it's got save state and slow-motion and such too.