Gaming Some black screen issue on my laptop...

xXVisionZXx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all im using an HP pavilion laptopt Dv7 uses windows 7 and its a x64

Well earlier today as i got to my college a bit early than usuall, i went and sat o na bench to check my emails.... after starting it up i got a black screen but the laptop was still runing in the welcoming screen as if it were no black screen.. since it was getting late i closed it and worked like an hour later isnce i had a free period.

What i did the first time was i pressd F8 and used last known good condition (Advance) and guess what it worked and all so i just played my favorite mmo for aobut 15 minutes. Afterwards i just closed it for it to hibernate to go to class again. Then when i got home it still worked i opened it and started to play my mmo... this is were it started again.

Soo i noticed my laptop was rnning on 12% of battery i plugged it to an outlet so it would charge and to keep o playing... but as soon as i plugged it in the screen went black but ti was still running like if it was no black screen... Then i just got surprised and unplugged it and got a blue screen with white letters... this happened a while ago like 4 weeks ago but i just restarted my pc and did a recovery it got fixed until now....

This is what i tried in order to fix it:
1)The F8 key and the last known good condition (Advance)
2)unplugging the laptop removing teh batter and pressing the Power on for about 1 minute putting back the battery and booting the pc
3)I removed the battery and kept it plugged in
4) tried using the Recovery system
5) used the F8 key and pressed on Repair laptop and chose a variety of options like to check for errors on the hardrive nad stuff

Thats all i can remember of what i did.. Als a guy told me to reinstall windows 7 but my laptop didnt come with a DVD sucks to be me...
Please help...Thanks

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The laptop almost certainly came with a recovery partition and should have come with an application to burn a recovery DVD.

Black screens make me think of graphics issues, and since it works in DOS I'd start looking at the graphics drivers. As a troubleshooting step, try adding a secondary monitor to see if it really isn't outputting video or if it's just "forgetting" that the laptop screen exists.

It could also be that you've messed with the output key (Fn+F4 on my HP Pavillion tx2550ea) so it's trying to output to external only. Try pressing it couple more times and it might switch back to laptop screen display.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blue screen would make me think drivers (it might just be that you did something odd- opening and closing the lid with all the stuff you did might be enough to trigger an odd power supply state and laptops have loads of issues there*) and the other suggestions are great but after that

Third suggestion- a lot of these things are screen lid closed sensor related- I have an old IBM laptop that does something almost identical to what you describe unless you open the screen at about 140 degrees.
I have seen others with screen sensors at the hinge- they get a bit sticky and bam you have no screen.
I have seen others with a sensor at the front of the laptop (bad at that is usually fit to get all the nastiness that builds up in electronics (bags, your hands, you said bench so can I assume work bench.....)

I have also seen others that use magnets and the like but let us not go down that path for the moment.

Make sure it is not this getting stuck (stuck switches and switch bounce are two incredibly common failure methods of laptops).

After this do check the screws and hinges- had a few reports of bad things happening to various laptops over the last few years with bad hinge design.

*at this point I have actually taken to disabling or at the very least hiding and defaulting away from all hibernate, suspend and sleep modes for all vista and 7 laptops that come my way because it has got that bad for this sort of thing.

xXVisionZXx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
Blue screen would make me think drivers (it might just be that you did something odd- opening and closing the lid with all the stuff you did might be enough to trigger an odd power supply state and laptops have loads of issues there*) and the other suggestions are great but after that

Third suggestion- a lot of these things are screen lid closed sensor related- I have an old IBM laptop that does something almost identical to what you describe unless you open the screen at about 140 degrees.
I have seen others with screen sensors at the hinge- they get a bit sticky and bam you have no screen.
I have seen others with a sensor at the front of the laptop (bad at that is usually fit to get all the nastiness that builds up in electronics (bags, your hands, you said bench so can I assume work bench.....)

I have also seen others that use magnets and the like but let us not go down that path for the moment.

Make sure it is not this getting stuck (stuck switches and switch bounce are two incredibly common failure methods of laptops).

After this do check the screws and hinges- had a few reports of bad things happening to various laptops over the last few years with bad hinge design.

*at this point I have actually taken to disabling or at the very least hiding and defaulting away from all hibernate, suspend and sleep modes for all vista and 7 laptops that come my way because it has got that bad for this sort of thing.
Problem is idk how to do all of that i tried a separate monitor didnt work btw

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: @Sonic Angel Knight :bortz2: