Solution to ROM load / Freeze problems?

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by Clean Sanchez, Oct 12, 2008.

Oct 12, 2008
  1. Clean Sanchez
    OP

Newcomer Clean Sanchez Member

Australia
    Lots of people complain about load freezing and white screens and so on.

I've noticed that these problems occur when I make a change to my microSD - removing or adding a ROM, changed skin, or updated TTDS OS version. Also happens when I rename a ROM to a name that is too long or has spaces (Final Fantasy IV for example).

Solution to guarantee success seems to be that whenever you need to make a change to the contents of the microSD then you need to start again completely, as follows:

1) Save a copy of any .sav files and also .nds files if not already saved elsewhere. Also the TTMenu and TTMENU.DAT if not changing.
    2) Do a low level format, not just an erase of data. Must be FAT32
    3) Copy the TTMenu folder to the root of the microSD. Adjust USRCHEAT.DAT to the latest version before you do this.
    4) Next TTMENU.DAT
    5) Make a Games folder on the root of the microSD.
    6) Copy all the .nds files to the Games folder. Do them one by one, waiting for each one to finish.
    7) Same now with the .sav files.
    8) Properly unmount the microSD from your computer.
    9) Insert into the TTDS. If you have fickle "piano key" connections then do what you usually do.

The above procedure works for me EVERY time without fail. It is a hassle to have to do this when all you want to do is change the skin or add in a new ROM. But that's life.

One proviso: some games are fussy about the .nds file name. As a last resort limit yourself to 8 characters, like the really ancient way of early DOS. Guaranteed to work. Some games don't like spaces in the name. The original Scene name always works but is not entirely descriptive.

2. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    Whats the difference between FAT16 and FAT32? I've been doing your procedure for a while now, except that instead of having a "Games" Folder I've got each game in their own folder. Also, I'm not 100% sure what I've been reformatting with - Fat16 or Fat32. My TT just froze again yesterday, so I reformatted it. I put my backup back onto the microSD card and it doesn't work still =="

I'll try your procedure now. Thanks for the help.

3. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I must say that when I used my DSTT, I added and deleted stuff from my microSD card all the time, never reformatted, and never had a problem with ROMs not loading or with freezing. If you're having to reformat your microSD card every time you change anything, you're doing something wrong or there is a problem with your hardware.

Also, FAT16 is generally preferable to FAT32 if your microSD card is smaller than 4GB. If you have a microSDHC card that is over 4GB, it can only be formatted in FAT32 if I'm not mistaken.

-Bri

4. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    Bri what do you think is wrong with mine? Can you list the stuff you have inside the "TTMenu" folder?

Also Bri, I've been reformatting with FAT32 and my microSD card is 4GB. You said FAT16 is preferable if its smaller than 4GB. What if its 4GB?

5. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    I have never had any problems in this regard. I have added/removed/renamed files many times without any problems (other than the issue with very short file names that is easily worked around).

I mostly use a locally purchased 8gb Sandisk microsd and a cheap ($15 or so) multi card reader not the included one. I've never formatted it since buying the thing, but windows only gives a fat32 option for my 4gb microSDHC card so I would assume its the same.

I have not had this issue with DX 2 or 4 GB kingston cards either.

I often wonder if the people who have this issue (ive read about it a fair few times) are:

-Using a Microsd purchased online that could be fake?
    -Using the included card reader?
    -Putting their nds files on the root of the memory card rather than in a folder?
    -Turning the DS off/soft resetting in the middle of the game where it could be saving, rather than quitting to the main menu where possible?
    -NOT using 'safely remove hardware' before removing the card from the card reader?
    -Ejecting the DSTT from the DS or MicroSD from the DSTT while its on?

Thats about all I can think of atm.

6. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    I use a Sandisk 4gb and it corrupts ALL the time. And my dad bought the microSD card separately, at an electronics store, so its not fake. Also, the included card reader broke, so my dad got me a new one; also not fake. I dont' put my games on the root of my memory card. I use soft reset occasionally, but I doubt this is the problem as I don't do it while its saving. Also, I ALWAY use "safely remove hardware" when removing my microSD card, and I NEVER EVER eject the DSTT from the DS or the microSD from the DSTT while its on.

Therefore... you're wrong. xD

Thanks for the thought though. It cleared up quite a bit.

7. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    The only problem I have with mine and the 2 other people I provide games for at my place that causes errors seems to be fragmented files.
    This is fixed after a format, or defragging the drive.

8. Count Duckula

Member Count Duckula .

Australia
    It wasn't really a matter of being right or wrong; I was just rattling off any ideas I could think of that may cause the issue other than a malfunctioning DSTT.
    I wasn't accusing' anyone of doing any of those things and that being the cause, just thinking out loud on the off chance it may help someone.

Its a tough thing to isolate the cause of.
    It obviously effects a small % of DSTT owners but not most, most likely some kind of hardware issue as Bri said before me.
    Was just running through whatever else I could think of.

9. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The TTMenu folder is just the one that comes with the official firmware. It should have a "skin" folder as well as the following files: infolib.dat, language.ini, reset.mse, savlib.dat, system.ank, system.fon, system.l2u, system.u2l, ttreset.dat, ttsystem.ini, and USERCHEAT.DAT.

It's possible that you don't use "safely remove hardware" when you remove your microSD, or that you have all your games on the root of your microSD card instead of in a "games" folder, that you have a bad microSD reader, or any number of other things.

4GB cards are kind of a grey area since you can use both FAT16 or FAT32. I think I'd try it with FAT16 since it should be slightly faster. If you haven't already, try the Panasonic formatter rather than the built-in Windows one.

-Bri