• nope

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't get me wrong, StreetPass is awesome! If only I could be able to use StreetPass without bringing my 3DS with me. It's worth almost £200 and I feel like I'm always taking a big risk everytime I bring it with me, just to get random Miis and puppies and LEGO studs when I get home. So here's my solution so that StreetPass will bring a much more comfortable and safer experience.

Have a "PokeWalker" like device built for StreetPass.

The PokeWalker works. To this day I still use it and although I haven't unlocked Sinnoh Field course yet, every little counts. I get an average of 6000 steps a day so at least I am making progress but I don't shake it like crazy (I am not desperate). I have a feeling Nintendo are experimenting with this concept since they've applied it on the Walker.

So I'll describe the device a little bit more. The device will be modelled after the PokeWalker, only that it is built for StreetPass for the 3DS. It will have similar features such as a screen, screen interface, face buttons, IR connection, pedometer and data storage. The only differences are:

- the device will have a Wi-Fi antenna, which will send and receive SpotPass and StreetPass data, which is stored in the internal memory
- there is also a little square LED which, like the 3DS, will light up blue for SpotPass notifications and green for StreetPass. Heck, if they want, have it flash red as well to indicate the battery is running low.
- to save battery, an On/Off switch for Wi-Fi will be provided
- the device will have some sort of protection where you can set the times you are going to use the device so it won't cause problems for instances such as StreetPass Mii Plaza games, where you can only use the Miis that you've just collected from a single walking session to collect puzzles from/use as warriors.
- IR communication is only for 3DS connection. Device-to-device connections will be Wi-Fi instead, because that's how StreetPass is used on 3DS, not infrared!
- Solar powered? I don't know...

So yeah...tell me what you think. I think it will be a really cool concept for Nintendo to consider. Actually, I think this device is in the works. I just have a feeling! I don't really feel safe having my 3DS outdoors and this will be the perfect solution.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not think you need wifi. You can "register" the 3DS to a game card which can connect to the device for data which is made just for the game card. Maybe like $2-$5?

Hope I got that across.
unsure.gif

Anyway isn't it a portable? It should be carried regardless.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd buy one, and I've also thought about this. I carry my 3DS in my pocket while I work, and while it's protected by an aluminum case, it gets annoying having it on me. I would love to have something small, unobtrusive, that can provide streetpass functionality and count my steps. I just wonder how much it would cost.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That would be nice for people who don't like bringing it around.

I bring my 3DS everywhere with me, and always have it on. So this wouldn't do much for me.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i bring my 3ds everywhere with me but i still cannot get enough streetpass hits, i only managed to get 2 hits today and that was after going to 2 gamestation stores, 2 game stores and hmv, and my local shopping center, it seems that not a lot of people carry thier 3ds around or that there is not enough people who have a 3ds yet.

on top of that it's the summer holidays so you would think i would get a lot of hits, that is simply not the case
frown.gif

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I think if it just stored all the data it gets from Street Pass (so it can send it all the the host 3DS), and looks like a 3DS sending its own Street Pass data (stored from the host 3DS) to all other 3DS's, then it would be fine for me.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
R2DJ said:
Don't get me wrong, StreetPass is awesome! If only I could be able to use StreetPass without bringing my 3DS with me. It's worth almost £200 and I feel like I'm always taking a big risk everytime I bring it with me, just to get random Miis and puppies and LEGO studs when I get home. So here's my solution so that StreetPass will bring a much more comfortable and safer experience.

Have a "PokeWalker" like device built for StreetPass.

The PokeWalker works. To this day I still use it and although I haven't unlocked Sinnoh Field course yet, every little counts. I get an average of 6000 steps a day so at least I am making progress but I don't shake it like crazy (I am not desperate). I have a feeling Nintendo are experimenting with this concept since they've applied it on the Walker.

So I'll describe the device a little bit more. The device will be modelled after the PokeWalker, only that it is built for StreetPass for the 3DS. It will have similar features such as a screen, screen interface, face buttons, IR connection, pedometer and data storage. The only differences are:

- the device will have a Wi-Fi antenna, which will send and receive SpotPass and StreetPass data, which is stored in the internal memory
- there is also a little square LED which, like the 3DS, will light up blue for SpotPass notifications and green for StreetPass. Heck, if they want, have it flash red as well to indicate the battery is running low.
- to save battery, an On/Off switch for Wi-Fi will be provided
- the device will have some sort of protection where you can set the times you are going to use the device so it won't cause problems for instances such as StreetPass Mii Plaza games, where you can only use the Miis that you've just collected from a single walking session to collect puzzles from/use as warriors.
- IR communication is only for 3DS connection. Device-to-device connections will be Wi-Fi instead, because that's how StreetPass is used on 3DS, not infrared!
- Solar powered? I don't know...

So yeah...tell me what you think. I think it will be a really cool concept for Nintendo to consider. Actually, I think this device is in the works. I just have a feeling! I don't really feel safe having my 3DS outdoors and this will be the perfect solution.
Fuck no, this device you are talking about is just a dream. Nintendo is way too lazy to make a portable addon for another PORTABLE device. If the 3DS is too expensive for you to bring everywhere, sell it back and buy something else.

Pip'

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't carry my 3DS everywhere with me, that would be way too inconvenient, its just kind of big for a pocket in my opinion. That is not to say I only play it at home, its just that I only take it with me if I know that I will have some free time to use it. If there was a smaller device that could count my steps and stuff, I would definitely buy it. I think that is a great idea.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pippin666 said:
Fuck no, this device you are talking about is just a dream. Nintendo is way too lazy to make a portable addon for another PORTABLE device. If the 3DS is too expensive for you to bring everywhere, sell it back and buy something else.

Pip'
They have to be lazy to not add this? Seem to much and unnecessary even if they was.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
Anyway isn't it a portable? It should be carried regardless.

Exactly, and they're pretty sturdy

QUOTE(person66 @ Jul 9 2011, 01:08 AM) its just kind of big for a pocket in my opinion.

I have very large pockets

Can't you put it in your girlfriend's handbag or something? I have mine on me all the time, even if I know I won't get a chance to use it

Soiidus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll have to lug your girlfriend everywhere. Gamestop, Gym, Bathroom.
tongue.gif
Jokingly aside, Just get a case for it and install a universal belt clip. Although large, I carry it around like a PDA.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
...the really scary thing about StreetPass is, if muggers get a whiff of this, say good bye to bringing your 3DS.

especially right now when the 3DS costs quite a pretty penny. i'm surprised no mugger have even though of investing in one of those wifi sniffers keychain that lets them know there's a wifi device nearby, just waiting to be pinched off. XD and those sniffers wouldn't just sniff out 3DS, it's more likely to sniff out an iPhone or iPad, by the looks of it.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Soiidus said:
You'll have to lug your girlfriend everywhere. Gamestop, Gym, Bathroom.
tongue.gif
Jokingly aside, Just get a case for it and install a universal belt clip. Although large, I carry it around like a PDA.
I have no choice but to lug her around everywhere- she insists!

QUOTE(ferofax @ Jul 14 2011, 10:31 AM) ...the really scary thing about StreetPass is, if muggers get a whiff of this, say good bye to bringing your 3DS.

especially right now when the 3DS costs quite a pretty penny. i'm surprised no mugger have even though of investing in one of those wifi sniffers keychain that lets them know there's a wifi device nearby, just waiting to be pinched off. XD and those sniffers wouldn't just sniff out 3DS, it's more likely to sniff out an iPhone or iPad, by the looks of it.
The thing is, muggers have easy pickings anyway- just about any random person you stop in the street (under 45) will be carting some form of gadget about with them, unless Nintendo specific muggers are out there (and as you said they are more likely to be Apple specific) they might as well continue to swipe from random people.

My phone is worth more than my 3ds- I will happily walk along texting, however I don't want people knowing I have a 3DS on me. Priorities?!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you...