Hacking solderless solution using wire glue

platylover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was at the local electronics store picking up some supplies and saw some conductive wire glue that could possibly be used for a solderless installation. I found a picture of the product online.

G16133B.jpg

The description reads "Soldering Gun in a Jar. Wire glue-the solution when you can't find the soldering iron, don't want to bother, are out in the woods, don't quite trust a fifth-grader with a hot gun, can't reach the connection with both hands, whatever. This stuff conducts low voltage AC and DC circuits in a permanent bond and is easy to use. Our high-tech support group suggests that a toothpick is a good way to apply it. Cures overnight. Our each is a 0.3 oz/9ml jar."

A quick google search shows a couple of places where it can be purchased online.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prod...p?number=G16133
http://www.amazon.com/American-Science-Sur...E/dp/B000F475E0

Hopefully this product will allow a multitude of WIIs to cry out in relief. I didn't pick any up as I've already installed my Wiifree.

BTW, for those in Pasadena, CA area, you can get the product at Du Vac electronics on Colorado Blvd.

pandas0nic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
apart from not having as high a conductive property as solder i would say how the hell can you 'de-solder' glue without ripping it off?

however if it works and the bond is long lasting it's probably a quick and dirty solution for those who dont want to attempt to learn to solder, i would still recommend learning though..

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
apart from not having as high a conductive property as solder i would say how the hell can you 'de-solder' glue without ripping it off?
Yep... for removing solder, you have solder wick or a desoldering bulb/pump.

If you get this "wire glue" where you don't want it (and believe me, it will be EASY to bridge the points on the DVD drive PCB), then what do you do?

I don't suggest it.
lecture.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt resistance is going to play that great a role in this (solder is not the most conductive stuff anyhow) and a lot of these conductive polymers are pretty good.

The one thing that bothers me is "Cures overnight", that is fine if I am laying a floor but precision electronics is a different matter. Removal should just be a matter of melting/dissolving it though, guess it would be pretty good as a stopgap measure until the "second gen" modchips start to appear.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No one is going to test this shit against the tried and true method of soldering. I can't wait till people start complaining that they shorted their boards cause of this stuff

D

Deleted User

Cures overnight. I dunno ... watch this stuff be total crap. The Wii is hot inside ... and I wouldn't trust any ... conductive goop.

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, looks messy (check out the photo of the open container here).

I'll put this in the same category as those "solder strips" which you wrap around twisted wires and heat up with a lighter. Yes, it may work, but no substitute for the real thing.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i would test it but i really dont want to dish out the cash for something like this i think it should work out fine, but i am not sure how this product reacts to heat like someone said, i doubt it will but there is a chance it may liquify when heated. i bet all this product really is is glue with metal/conductive material. perhaps its the same glue as they use in factory to make those buttons

i guess you prob could make homebrew version just by adding decent amount of iron shaving a glue (prob say epoxy)

(its cheap but i just dont want to pay the shipping which would cost more then the product)

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't understand all these people asking for solderless methods. Sometimes the simplest, most efficient solution is to do it properly the FIRST time. Yes its a little more work, but it usually gets the best results and in the long run will be less of a headache. Stay away from "almost as good" solutions!!!

modshroom128

Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand all these people asking for solderless methods. Sometimes the simplest, most efficient solution is to do it properly the FIRST time. Yes its a little more work, but it usually gets the best results and in the long run will be less of a headache. Stay away from "almost as good" solutions!!!
some people just cant solder, at all.
some people have shacky hands.
some people dont no anyone to solder it for them.
some people dont have soldering guns/iron.

so other alternitives are sometimes needed for "some people".

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't understand all these people asking for solderless methods. Sometimes the simplest, most efficient solution is to do it properly the FIRST time. Yes its a little more work, but it usually gets the best results and in the long run will be less of a headache. Stay away from "almost as good" solutions!!!

some people just cant solder, at all.
some people have shacky hands.
some people dont no anyone to solder it for them.
some people dont have soldering guns/iron.

so other alternitives are sometimes needed for "some people".

Are "some people" not really sure how to use screwdrivers as well?
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

sabinraijin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have incredibly shaky hands for soldering, but the Wii is incredibly easy to solder. Hell, there's already enough solder on the DVD drive points. All you really need to do is dip the wire end in some flux and use the solder that's already there.

There is NO safe replacement for a soldering iron when it comes to video game console solder-type modchips.

There is NO safe replacement for a soldering iron when it comes to video game console solder-type modchips.

Use this stuff, and you have more of a chance to **** up your Wii than if you just used the soldering method.

Bad at soldering? What makes you think you'll do better with this stuff? It's still going to be a precision job, and this glue is much more dangerous to your Wii. Solder can be removed easily with Desoldering braid or a desoldering iron. This stuff is there to stay once you apply it. Bridge a connection and you're royally screwed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later