Question Solder the Joy Con to enter RCM

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by JeepX87, Jul 1, 2018.

1. JeepX87
    OP

JeepX87 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    I decided that I'm not going to install AutoRCM after noticed that some members have same issues, so I do feel that solder the Joy Con is better option, but not completely sure.

Could you tell me about how fragile is pins on Switch? I have jig with copper in it so how many jig used that lead to damage or worn out the pins? I used about around 30 times or slightly more.

I'm not good at solder to create a bridge between 9 and 10, so willing to pay someone to do it like I did with my 3DS.

If you recommended different methods to mod the Joy Con so please tell me, exception of tinfoil method (not worth to risking my Switch.

Thanks

2. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2007
    Or using a jig?

3. JeepX87
    OP

JeepX87 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    I do have jig so does worn the pin out?

4. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2007
    Well depends on the quality of the jig, mmmm i think soldering in the joycon isn't any better

JeepX87 likes this.
  5. Xandrid

Xandrid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Xandrid is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 27, 2016
    Nigeria
    I mean I could solder your joycon for you, but I'm not sure if there's any price that worth paying for something simple as this

JeepX87 likes this.
  6. JeepX87
    OP

JeepX87 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    I use jig that I bought from one of GBAtemp member here.

[​IMG]

7. JACMAN

JACMAN Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2018
    United States
    I soldered and let me tell you its amazing and hassle free. Slide joycon in and go into Rcm

JeepX87 and Xandrid like this.
  8. Puppydogpals

Puppydogpals Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I bought a replacement joycon rail off eBay for £7 and soldered a wire from pin 1 to pin 10 (You can also bridge 9 and 10 with a blob of solder)

No extra stress on your switch rail 100% rcm triggers 20180518_092022.jpeg 20180518_092014.jpeg 20180518_091948.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JeepX87 likes this.
  9. roden

roden GBAtemp Regular

Oct 14, 2007
    I used kinar wire and a 10k resistor to bridge pinds 1 and 10, works perfect, dont use pins 9 and 10.

JeepX87 likes this.
  10. XxWiReDxX

XxWiReDxX Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2018
    United States
    This is what you are looking for. That way you can choose to boot into RCM or Stock Firmware with a push button.

On github /xxwiredxx/Nintendo-Switch-JoyCon-Hack

Please give the creator some credit. I hope this helps.

I am a new user and cannot reply with links and photos, so please repost with photos and a proper link to the GitHub guide. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by XxWiReDxX, Jul 1, 2018
    JeepX87 likes this.
  11. SundayWarrior

SundayWarrior Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2018
    Russia
    Maybe be useful. Its my mod. Very easy, and very usable. Need switch, glue, y-screwdriver, tiny wire, soldering iron, flux.
    firstly glue the switch so that the lock button presses it. then just solder the two wires. I have guide on other site.
    20180621_184613.jpg

JeepX87 likes this.
  12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    9 and 10 won't always work because pin 9 is not guaranteed to be GND.
    I think a jig like that is fine. Anyone who's damaged their pins so far were using a paperclip or a paperclip based jig.
    A thin wire is much more pliable. It would lose its shape before it would do any damage to the pins as the pins are much harder. Just make sure that the wire is aligned correctly and the jig is inserted correctly every time to avoid stressing the pins.

JeepX87 likes this.