software to easly save and verify checksums

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by migles, Sep 12, 2014.

1. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i am looking for a software which lets me select (or drag and drop) files and it easily calculate checksums and save that checksums on a file\storage (it would be better if it could be a txt or something)

i want to save the checksums of several files so i can make sure other programs (specially software with virus) dont inject\replace my steam\skype\etc clients with some fake (looking legit) login prompt...

i know i should use a sandbox or virtual machine but my computer is already old and i dont want to get decreased performance on the program i want to try, and i know checksums are an easy and trusted way to know if something really happened...

i use hastab which is just a dll file which ads a tab to windows file properties (if a lot of tools come like, it would be great and make a lot of stuff easier) but it is not simple to save the checksum files... i have to manually copy them to a txt and later compare them...

2. sliver123

sliver123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 7, 2009
    Netherlands
    Zuid-Holland

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html Did ya tried this?

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
  4. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    RapidCRC Unicode and FileVerifier++.

5. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    This is actually possible to do from within Windows. You can set it so that if the executable doesn't match the previously created checksum, it is denied execution.

However, I will point out that all of the programs you listed as being concerned about are updated on a fairly regular basis and would make the process of maintaining checksum information extremely tedious.

P.S. - It is much easier to get someone to unwittingly install a keylogger on their machine than it is to reverse engineer a single, specific executable file to pass back login information. Perhaps you should be more concerned about that instead?