Software problem

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Sop, Jun 27, 2011.

Jun 27, 2011

Software problem by Sop at 2:16 AM (417 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Sop
    OP

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    I'm trying to resize my D and C partitions with EASEUS partition master. When I reboot I get an error "found some errors on drive D. please fix errors and try again".

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Try to establish whether it is basic filesystem error (power cut when writing and the like) or actual damage to the disc.
    Filesystem stuff can be fixed by most disc scanners up to and including the ones that come with an OS (at worst you will lose the files in the corrupt area) but if the latter there is not much that can be done (there are some workarounds and mitigation techniques) but even then I would urge you to consider finding yourself a new hard drive (bad sectors are rarely a one off affair) and certainly make sure you have good backups (restoring data from backup is so much nicer than having to try salvaging a dead/dying drive in a couple of months time).

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Try opening a Command Prompt (you can find that in the Start menu) and typing

Code:
    chkdsk /F D:
    in it. Let it run, and it should fix any errors the disk currently has. Be aware that it could take a while, if your disk is big. If you're on Win7/Vista, you might have to run the Command Prompt with admin privileges (left-click on it in the start menu, then click "Run as Administrator") before using chkdsk.

As FAST said, it could also be a disk damage, so keep backups handy. Most of the times errors on the disk happen because of wrong shutdowns, though (like turning off the power while it's writing files on D).

4. Sop
    OP

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    I have a backup on my 1.5tb external HDD.
    And chkdsk came up with it cannot open because it is being used by other processes.

5. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Defraggler has a really easy option to quickly fix drive errors.

6. shadowmanwkp

Member shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Netherlands
    I just checked the command and it should prompt you to run it after the next restart. Ensure you've you've typed the command correctly. If it asks whether or not to restart press "Y" for yes followed by an enter. The next time you start up your pc, it will search for the errors and fix them, before starting windows. If chkdsk returns you the error of a damaged sector, you need to add an additional /R, this will repair damaged sectors (as far as windows can do)

You might also want to run chkdsk without the /f if your pc refuses to run the command with the /f. This will only let it check for errors, without the reboot. It might come in handy if your pc refuses to fix the drive in pre-boot, chkdsk might spew out some juicy info for us to help you fix the problem.