Software or hardware fault?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, Jul 15, 2012.

Jul 15, 2012

Software or hardware fault? by Harsky at 3:30 AM (343 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I bought a Medion Erazer laptop last month and it's given me no problem... until now. Twice this week my laptop screen just ended up going blank which means I have to reboot by pressing the power button for several seconds. The first time this happened was when I visited Youtube and this created a grey blank screen. The second it happened was when I went to a site with a lot flash content but that created a black blank screen. Both times rebooting solved it. I really hope that this is not a hardware problem involving loose connectors that connect the screen to the motherboard but considering that all keys are unresponsive when the screen goes blank and I can't do the "push windows button and right arrow key to shut down" move, I'm not sure what else it could be. If it's a flash problem then what should I do to try to prevent it happening again?

Sorry if this sounds like rambling but the idea of a brand new laptop crapping out doesn't fill me with much joy.

2. kirlac

Newcomer kirlac Member

New Zealand
    Sounds like flash could be crashing and causing the system to become unresponsive. If that's the case there's not much you can really do about it aside from updating flash/rolling back to a working version or uninstalling it all together. If it only happens when using flash (youtube, flash games etc.) that seems like the likely culprit.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I'm with @kirlac on this one - sounds like flash locking up the system.

It could be the GPU, so you may want to try upgrading your drivers (if available for your laptop).

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    If a simple reboot fixes it right away I am going software as well with driver updates being the usual fix- I am not sure what the third party "hacked" driver world is like these days but that usually allowed something to happen. However I am not replying to echo others and came here to say my usual test for this is install a VNC (proper one if you want but teamviewer works and also has free clients for fancy mobile phones of the android or IOS persuasion if you lack another machine to play on and does not require anything special to set up) before waiting for a "crash" and seeing if you can get in via VNC.

5. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Ironically, all the problem started AFTER I updated my Intel wifi drivers AND my Nvidia graphic card driver. I'll System Restore today and see what happens then.