Hacking SoftMods

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A couple questions for a helpful member: I know they are a work in progress, but do soft mods hold any advantage over installing a hard mod? Also, what is the compatibility % at now? Do they require any special patching before burning? I have many backups burned and I would rather not have to reburn them all (my old Wii is broken).

Thanks!

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SlyGuy said:
A couple questions for a helpful member: I know they are a work in progress, but do soft mods hold any advantage over installing a hard mod? Also, what is the compatibility % at now? Do they require any special patching before burning? I have many backups burned and I would rather not have to reburn them all (my old Wii is broken).

Thanks!

wait wait wait

so your old wii was chipped, and is now broken?

broken how?

if the disc drive is fine, you can swap it with the one in your new wii with the chip attached,
it'll work fine in the new wii.

if you have a brick of some kind, that is probably an easier fix than youd think.

if you need a triwing to do a drive swap, you can easily make one with a dremel.

hard mods still pwn soft mods big time...especially with COD5, you guys are gonna need 6x for good times,
3x is not gonna cover a game that is constantly reading from disc.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
hard mods still pwn soft mods big time...especially with COD5, you guys are gonna need 6x for good times,
Agreed
smile.gif

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tichinde925 said:
20clarky08 said:
but on the plus side of it your Warranty seal is nicely in tact.

There is no warranty seal.

If you mean the stickers, you can always buy replacement stickers that cover up the screws.

The warranty is also voided when installing the Homebrew Channel.

...and he implied that he has a chip.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo don't seem to care.... there's a nice big reset to defaults button in system settings which nukes more or less everything. If you're really paranoid, you can go to town with anytitledeleter also.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
noobwarrior7 said:
SlyGuy said:

Thanks!

wait wait wait

so your old wii was chipped, and is now broken?

broken how?

if the disc drive is fine, you can swap it with the one in your new wii with the chip attached,
it'll work fine in the new wii.

if you have a brick of some kind, that is probably an easier fix than youd think.

if you need a triwing to do a drive swap, you can easily make one with a dremel.

Well, it is currently working but there is a pixel problem that is getting worse and worse (random green pixels show up all over the screen). When I have some free cash I will likely get a new wii and then mod it. I suppose I could try and switch the drives but I paid a guy to install the original chip and I would likely have to pay him just as much to swap the drives as I would to have a new open source chip installed.

Thanks for the responses all. Really appreciate the info as this clears up my decision. I'll keep my eye on the softmod project in the mean time.

Cheers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Constantly on web forums complaining about how wronged they have been, instead of taking action... +1