Softmodding a Modchipped system.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by shadowmanr6, Jan 28, 2009.

1. shadowmanr6
    OP

shadowmanr6 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2009
    United States
    Unfortunatly one of my buddies systems has a chip inside and must be a clone cause of multiple unsuccessful attempts to update for newer games, so my question is whether it is safe to do the gamma backup launcher install on a system witha mod chip inside, thanks. (Too lazy to open it up and take the chip out)

2. jos7960

jos7960 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2008
    Netherlands
    It is. I softmodded my system which has a chip to test it for a friend.

3. HaniKazmi

HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 30, 2008
    Manchester
    depends on the modchip, id guess. Installing gamma wont harm anything so try it and see.

4. Diffusion

Diffusion GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    Did they at least try booting the games with GeckoOS first?

...and if it's Animal Crossing or the games with the #002 error. All they need to do is install IOS38, 53, and 55

5. WiiPower

WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Oct 17, 2008
    Gambia, The
    About which games do you speak? If it's the 002 error games, use a 002 fix loader with a normal IOS instead of a backup cIOS, like Gecko OS with 002 fix or SoftChip set to IOS36.

Well i don't know if that's completly correct. If a game requires a IOS you don't have, you can either run the disc update, or install the IOS manually. But if a unupdated modchip passes the 002 protection, when launching the game from the disc channel i'm not 100% sure, might not be that easy.

6. Diffusion

Diffusion GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    That's true. But most of the games that have 002 currently are NTSC-J games, so he wouldn't want to apply the update.

There aren't many people out there with chips that don't have at least #001 fix.

7. shadowmanr6
    OP

shadowmanr6 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2009
    United States
    it sounds like whatever the issue was when super mario galaxy came out, not sure what that was considered