Softmod Playstation

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Sop, Nov 14, 2010.

Nov 14, 2010

Softmod Playstation by Sop at 12:29 AM (3,966 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Sop
    OP

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    Can you softmod a ps1? Because i just bought one and found out that any good games are "classics" now and cost like $150. [​IMG]

2. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    there is a swap trick.

3. Sao Mortel

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    No you cant softmod a ps1 theres swap disks and the 'swap trick' but we are really at another place now. The emulators are really made the way and you can find really really good emulators for PC, PSP and WII in that order. You can also play them on a softmoded ps2 but its not that easy as not all ps2 are compatible with the program.

If you are really into ps1 games what i would recommend overall is buying a used ps2 (fat are like 20$ in my country) and put a modchip in it (modbo clone 4 $ over at dealextreme) that way you for 24$ you get 100% compatiblity and a lot of extras!!!

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    As well as swap devices there are serial port devices (about as close to softmod/plug and play as you get with the PS1) around in some places and there are also modchips around for next to nothing: http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/default.php?cPath=52

Option2- PS1 emulation has been awesome for years now (as such requires machines considered rather wimpy by the standards of today) and PS controller to USB adapters seem to run about $5 AUD

5. Sop
    OP

Australia
    Thanks. I will probably either use a modchip on my brother's PS2 or use an emulator since i'm getting a new computer soon.

6. Sop
    OP

Australia
    Umm... This is going to sound dumb but, how do you put a modchip in a PS2 and play backups?

7. Amak

Newcomer Amak Advanced Member

United States
    Varies from chip to chip. I'm sure a lot require some soldering, but some may be like the Xbox and be solderless. An emulator would be your best bet. No need to burn discs, fiddle with another console etc.

8. Sop
    OP

Australia
    O.K looks like emulator it is. Since i'm only 11 I will get into pretty big trouble if I break my bro's PS2 while doing the modchip dealio [​IMG]

9. flo

Member flo GBAtemp Regular

Hungary
    There's a disc caled Breaker Pro that will softmod your PS1 , just insert it then swap with your game

10. Sop
    OP

Australia
    Is this what you mean? if it is i'll probably use it on my PS2.

11. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yes that's it, note that you will still need to switch that disc with the burned one and blocking the sensor. You have to do it once ever time before you put in a copied game. If you are doing it on the PS2 you will need a slidecard, or the magic keys for the ps2 slim. Breaker Pro works on PS1 games only.