Not open for further replies.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just waiting for the brickfest to begin...the least they could have done was say cIOSCORP was optional, and include a newer version. As for preloader, unless you use startpatch AND have bootmii as boot2, it really isn't optional (Bootmii IOS needs it to be of any use at all).

Regardless, Softmii fails. Period. It's brickware.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see no mention of actually making a NAND backup if you were able to install BootMii to boot2.

Installing BootMii without making a NAND backup provides no real brick protection.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I will admit that I used Softmii before, I believe it's foolish to do so now.

It's a lot better to do the modding yourself, or if you don't know how, have a friend that does know what he's doing do it for you.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
snikerz said:
No-Darth_Vader.jpg

Nice! Despite all the warnings of how dangerous this shit is, people still want it, apparently. Why do this when there are more simpler, cleaner and safer guide out there? Any idiot who knows how to drag 'n' drop to an SD can do any of the Softmii alternatives, all you have to do is read the guid first

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fogbank said:
I see no mention of actually making a NAND backup if you were able to install BootMii to boot2.

Installing BootMii without making a NAND backup provides no real brick protection.

Installing bootmii as IOS provides no real brick protection either. Bootmii isn't the perfect brick protection for anyone.

I personally have preloader .30 and Bootmii as IOS. I would have bootmii as boot2, but mine is one of the many wii's that can't install it.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, bootmii/boot2 does provide protection without a backup. While a backup is certainly a great idea, it isn't the only way to use bootmii boot2 to fix a bricked wii.

If you uninstall a system menu IOS, you can always go to HBC via bootmii and use wad manager to reinstall it. Even a missing/uninstalled system menu can be fixed w/o a backup, although it is a little more involved than a wad install or a restore.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is sad why continue making cIOSCORP as usb loaders have killed any need for cIOSCORP or even modchips for that matter.
sure options are good but with the way things are now there is no need to risk it.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
G0dLiKe said:
xzxero said:
longtom1 said:
looks like it checked it out and it has wiiscu old version
really?!
haha you sure it dont have the .22 one?
the version number didnt on the app didnt change i believe.

This is what I was pretty shocked about when DL the 0.22 and recently the 0.23 WiiSCU. The readme and the app still says 0.21 LOL WTF?

Actually, 0.23 should say 0.23 not 0.21 in the app, I just didnt update the readme.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, some people insist on disc channel loading so cioscorp continues to feed the demand. And DVD loading still has slightly better compatibility for the most part, so there you go. That being said I'm not the biggest fan of it and will take USB loading any day.

crimson_chin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I had softmii 2.0 installed before, and removed it and replaced it with the newer mods described in the guides on GBAtemp. However, a few of my friends's wii's still have softmii. Do you think it's safe to keep it on their wii's, or will it eventually break?

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Well, some people insist on disc channel loading so cioscorp continues to feed the demand. And DVD loading still has slightly better compatibility for the most part, so there you go. That being said I'm not the biggest fan of it and will take USB loading any day.
good point, though the neogamma(R8 beta3) rebooter works on 4.2 at least for me.

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
1. doesn't use OLD cIOScorp..it uses the old cIOSCORP Installer...which icefire coded for SoftMii AGES ago..check the version numbers on the IOS.wads u fucking retards..then comment

2. its 3.5v2 the one u posted here isnt even available anymore..

3. ever tried running a IRC help channel??? some people cant afford usb drives and alot of others just want disc channel loading..full stop. they dont care about loaders etc whilst i personally dont run cIOSCORP on my main wii i have a test console which does and this one runs fine..

4. SoftMii 3.5 has one purpose...to tick people over who have the new consoles..and YES 4.2 consoles have hit the shelves in europe btw. we modded one in the channel today and they have no big changes or hidden bullshit but the firmware has hit the stores extremely quickly

5. keep mocking...this is gbafail. its a fucking disgrace to the interwebs and everything on it.

6. you come here to try to help people and all you find is retards and people who enjoy constant flame wars...and this is a Hacking Section lmao yeah right

7. if you want a real forum, where bullshit isnt stood for and has Dev Only sections for respected developers etc come to GamingExposed.com...SoftMii is dead, but gbafail is a rotten corpse of fail..

Viva La GamingExposed.com

peace out haters...and oh yeah if u are in need of someone to hate? feel free to hate on me
tongue.gif
cool.gif

sasho123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
kLiNiKaL said:
1. doesn't use OLD cIOScorp..it uses the old cIOSCORP Installer...which icefire coded for SoftMii AGES ago..check the version numbers on the IOS.wads u fucking retards..then comment

3. ever tried running a IRC help channel??? some people cant afford usb drives and alot of others just want disc channel loading..full stop. they dont care about loaders etc whilst i personally dont run cIOSCORP on my main wii i have a test console which does and this one runs fine..

4. SoftMii 3.5 has one purpose...to tick people over who have the new consoles..and YES 4.2 consoles have hit the shelves in europe btw. we modded one in the channel today and they have no big changes or hidden bullshit but the firmware has hit the stores extremely quickly

5. keep mocking...this is gbafail. its a fucking disgrace to the interwebs and everything on it.

6. you come here to try to help people and all you find is retards and people who enjoy constant flame wars...and this is a Hacking Section lmao yeah right

7. if you want a real forum, where bullshit isnt stood for and has Dev Only sections for respected developers etc come to GamingExposed.com...SoftMii is dead, but gbafail is a rotten corpse of fail..

peace out haters...and oh yeah if u are in need of someone to hate? feel free to hate on me
tongue.gif
cool.gif

OMG!What did gbatemp do to you.If it wasn't for this site I would be using s Wiikey by now so go and kill yourself
hate2.gif
or die from loneliness, after all nobody ever visits your crappy site anyways. Gbatemp is f**king awseome.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
kLiNiKaL said:
That was said cause they didn't take the effort to update the pictures.
And if it really contains the cIOSCorp wads, I see GamingExposed being closed soon
wink2.gif

Actually I did (on my own!), but what does that have to do with this?
I'm no cIOSCorp hater in any way. Its even included in my guide, with support of da_letter_a.

4. SoftMii 3.5 has one purpose...to tick people over who have the new consoles..and YES 4.2 consoles have hit the shelves in europe btw. we modded one in the channel today and they have no big changes or hidden bullshit but the firmware has hit the stores extremely quickly.
4.2 isn't even noteworthy anymore now. Almost all guides got updated with 4.2 parts.

Without the temp, softmii would've never existed!

6. you come here to try to help people and all you find is retards and people who enjoy constant flame wars...and this is a Hacking Section lmao yeah right.
The forum without flames has yet to be invented

My forum has different sections per loader and a Dev boards. The dev boards can't even be seen by moderators (thats what I call privacy). But I don't think of that as something special.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wolffangalchemist said:
kLiNiKaL said:
16. you come here to try to help people and all you find is retards and people who enjoy constant flame wars...and this is a Hacking Section lmao yeah right
uh never noticed any real flamewars here.
They happen sometimes if someone makes a particularly stupid comment or topic

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kLiNiKaL said:

tongue.gif
cool.gif

1. The 'coder' you referenced should be reason enough not to execute this on your Wii.

2. That's right 3.5v2, soon to be followed by 3.5v3, 3.5v4, . . . as bricks are created. This is what is called "SoftMii testing".

3-7. There's no hate here, just warnings against this package due to past brickings and continued releases of untested and poor code. Seriously, if you hate gbatemp so much just go away. Stick to your low traffic 'respected developers' site and everyone will be happy.

S.O.S. = Same Old SoftMii

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Softmii is Softmii, and Softmii is dead. It died for a reason. (well, many actually):
1.There isn't much user documentation in softmii. Users are just trying to mimic what the bare bones instructions say.

2. Users are NOT INFORMED OR EDUCATED about anything included in softmii, and are not told about what tools/apps/wads (in cIOSCORP's case) they are installing.

3. Due to reason 2, users are NOT TOLD ABOUT ANY OF THE RISKS in softmii, and that's why people brick their wiis when trying to install softmii. (Especially cIOSCORP)

4. cIOSCORP seems to be the "core" of softmii, and so users are told to install it. Installing cIOSCORP is very risky if users are not competent enough with wii homebrew/hacking, and if something goes wrong, the situation this puts the user in could get really bad, and even give them a full brick. Even I don't encourage people to blindly install it.

5. The guide does not tell the user which cIOSCORP version they are installing, which could be a very big problem, especially if they are an LU64+ console owner.

6. There is no support in softmii. Not a single FAQ. Nothing. If something goes wrong with softmii, then that wii that it went wrong on is pretty much bricked, as the user has no solutions.

kLiNiKaL, what cIOSCORP version is used in this package anyway? It better not be any v3.x versions... or any third party mods of any v3.x version... or any clones of said versions...

And it DEFINETELY better not be cIOSCORP v3.5 beta 1! That's not fully tested yet and could be dangerous!

I hereby DENY you permission to use cIOSCORP v3.x, or any third party modifications of cIOSCORP v3.x, or any clones of my cIOSCORP v3.x.

If this softmii contains any traces of the above, please REMOVE them.

And don't try telling me about icefire's installer. I have already removed it. It has since been removed from cIOSCORP v3.5 beta 2 and every future versions of my cIOSCORP.

Under no circumstances should cIOSCORP v3.x, third party modifications of cIOSCORP v3.x, or any clones of my cIOSCORP v3.x be present in any softmod guide without my permission, especially without user documentation.

tj_cool actually approached me and asked for my permission before making his guide, and I allowed it.

And if you don't like GBATEmp.net, then why are you visiting this site?
Why are you going to somewhere you don't like?
What do you have to gain from doing so?
Seems a little strange to me.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
xzxero said:
aha, anyways softmii is dead there is no point in bringing that shit back here for more annoyance.
HBC 1.0.6 [2gb], cIOS38 rev 14, Wiiflow [1TB Buffalo Drivestation HD; 465.5gb wbfs, 465.5gb fat32], Bootmii [IOS & boot2], Preloader .30
4.2U
How is this different to Preloader?

I am not putting shit on Preloader, nor supporting SoftMii. If you want it, whatever but they pretty much do the same thing.

Personally, I don't and never have used these.

Now I'm gonna hear a rant of how different they are, aren't I...

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
da_letter_a said:
If this softmii contains any traces of the above, please REMOVE them.
They should support this, And should remove any traces of it, I mean you got hell from ice and had to remove the his installer so they should remove your stuff, I support you on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo