Soft modding a Wii that already has a mod-chip?

meeeow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey!

Following case: I have a (modded) Wii U and vWii which is why I am "kind of familiar" with Wii homebrew. Since I enjoy the (soft) modding process more than actual gaming, a friend offered me his Wii that was hard modded probably 15 years ago.

The problem: I do not know what the mod chip is allowing the user to do (probably running backups), maybe more.

The use case: I would like to give it to my brother, so he can enjoy playing (ports of) games like Duke Nukem 3D, Doom etc. that he played during his teenage years.

The two very general questions are: Does it make sense to soft mod the Wii? Will I run into conflicts adding the soft mod on top of the mod chip?

Last edited by meeeow,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a hard modded wii, which I soft modded. no issues unless you install say dios mios or something. that will make gamecube discs not work, but the current exploits shouldn't affect the soft mods. I'm using a wiikey v1. I can still boot backups of both wii and cube discs.

meeeow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
okay, nice! The plan is to install the homebrew browser, and some ports and emulators (ScummVM etc.), so he can play his old games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end