Hacking Soft Mod advice for Total Newbie!!

madmax23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, i am a total newbie and have been reading for days, there's so many topics and info my head feels like it's going to burst!

PLEASE could i get some advice on things i'm not clear on because i have seen conflicting advice on so many forums so i don't know which advice to follow. Any help will be appreciated!

I have a wii version 3.3e PAL and want to soft mod it but am not sure whether i should downgrade my version first or if it's fine as it is.
Do i have to install starfall incase i brick my wii but i've heard that can be dangerous to install because it might brick my wii in the process. Is there no other way to prevent or fix a bricked wii?
should i run brick blocker on all my games when i burn them?
I know there is a lot of help out there but i've read so many different ways i'm confused!!!
wacko.gif

Please any advice will be appreciated

scooochie4

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
student.dcu.ie
XP
Country
From what I gather, you don't have to downgrade to 3.2, that's only necessary if you want to install starfall. You don't need starfall, people just use it as extra security. Anything that alters your wii's software can potentially brick your wii, so yes Starfall can potentially brick your wii but then again, so can anything else you install. Another way to fix a bricked wii is to install a modchip. Yes you should run brick blocker if you can (although not needed if you do install starfall)

madmax23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
scooochie4 said:
From what I gather, you don't have to downgrade to 3.2, that's only necessary if you want to install starfall. You don't need starfall, people just use it as extra security. Anything that alters your wii's software can potentially brick your wii, so yes Starfall can potentially brick your wii but then again, so can anything else you install. Another way to fix a bricked wii is to install a modchip. Yes you should run brick blocker if you can (although not needed if you do install starfall)

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated
wink.gif

So to clarify, if i do install starfall i won't need to run brick blocker? I think most soft modders are installing starfall so i think i'd better do it to be safe.

FamineMK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bootmii when it comes out will be the successor to starfall as a way of preventing the brick. You'll be able to boot anything from the sd card slot basically. You'll be pretty safe against bricking as long as you run games from your own region, dont update off of games out of your region, and don't install WAD's from unknown and untested sources.

madmax23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FamineMK said:
Bootmii when it comes out will be the successor to starfall as a way of preventing the brick. You'll be able to boot anything from the sd card slot basically. You'll be pretty safe against bricking as long as you run games from your own region, dont update off of games out of your region, and don't install WAD's from unknown and untested sources.

Thanks for your help! I haven't heard of Bootmii, i wonder when that will come out. Do you think i should wait or should i soft mod my wii now and install starfall? I know i've got to decide this myself and i've successfully sorted out my other consoles for playing backups but for my wii i don't know why i'm so confused.

FamineMK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
soft mod it now... as long as you don't do anything crazy you shouldn't need starfall anyway. Just follow everyones directions and make sure you match the version of your consol to the directions and you'll be fine. I don't have starfall... mostly because I refuse to use the IOS downgrader. You don't need it really. There's always Hackmiifrii if something goes WAY wrong.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The question do i need to downgrade to install the backup launchers is easily answered, if you get an error during cIOS installation you need to downgrade.

madmax23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FamineMK said:
soft mod it now... as long as you don't do anything crazy you shouldn't need starfall anyway. Just follow everyones directions and make sure you match the version of your consol to the directions and you'll be fine. I don't have starfall... mostly because I refuse to use the IOS downgrader. You don't need it really. There's always Hackmiifrii if something goes WAY wrong.

Thanks
wink.gif
, i can't believe how helpful you've all been! I was so worried i would get told off for not searching for the info i need but i promise you,i've been looking at this for a couple of months now reading up anything new but haven't had the courage to try it, i know i can do it but i like to research properly then do it right rather then rush in and make a mistake. I've especially been worried after hearing some have bricked their wiis. I only intend to run backup games so hopefully i won't do anything stupid. I'll soft mod it tomorrow, wish me luck!! Thanks again!!!

madmax23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
The question do i need to downgrade to install the backup launchers is easily answered, if you get an error during cIOS installation you need to downgrade.

Oh i didn't know that, thanks! Now to find the best thread to help me do this from the beginning
wacko.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
madmax23 said:
WiiPower said:

Oh i didn't know that, thanks! Now to find the best thread to help me do this from the beginning
wacko.gif

If you only use .dols you are mostly on the safe side, wads are dangerous. Just use .dol versions of the cIOS installer and the loader(s) and you should be safe. If you want to install ANY channels except the HBC, downgrade first(sticky thread), install Starfall with autoboot and recovery disc option, (very important:)keep the twilight hack on your Wii and TEST the autoboot of twilight princess until your boot.dol from the root of your sd card is executed.

madmax23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
madmax23 said:
WiiPower said:

wacko.gif

If you only use .dols you are mostly on the safe side, wads are dangerous. Just use .dol versions of the cIOS installer and the loader(s) and you should be safe. If you want to install ANY channels except the HBC, downgrade first(sticky thread), install Starfall with autoboot and recovery disc option, (very important:)keep the twilight hack on your Wii and TEST the autoboot of twilight princess until your boot.dol from the root of your sd card is executed.
Brilliant thanks alot!

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you soft mod your wii let no one else use with out proper understanding of what you have done and what they should not do.
thanks to me not doing that I'm stuck at 3.2j with no way to boot games till i order my mod chip and it gets here.
but it could be worse i could be bricked.

FamineMK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
madmax23 said:
I was so worried i would get told off for not searching for the info i need but i promise you,i've been looking at this for a couple of months now reading up anything new but haven't had the courage to try it, i know i can do it but i like to research properly then do it right rather then rush in and make a mistake.

A well laid out question is never turned away with Use Google Newb... It actually shows that you've put some research in already. Its the OMG, wil I Fuxorz mai Wii by these 1337 Hax?!? That gets turned away.

madmax23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FamineMK said:
madmax23 said:
I was so worried i would get told off for not searching for the info i need but i promise you,i've been looking at this for a couple of months now reading up anything new but haven't had the courage to try it, i know i can do it but i like to research properly then do it right rather then rush in and make a mistake.

A well laid out question is never turned away with Use Google Newb... It actually shows that you've put some research in already. Its the OMG, wil I Fuxorz mai Wii by these 1337 Hax?!? That gets turned away.

LOL, thanks, You've made me feel less guilty! You've been so helpful, you all are what makes this forum so brilliant and helpful. Thanks again

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw