Gaming So thinking about getting a psp...

Conor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wondering where is the best place to buy a psp in the uk and which psp is the best to get.
I've seen a used psp in good condition with box and charger on amazon for £60. On top of that there's a 16GB lexar memory stick pro duo for £33. another £5 for the adapter for my pc.
makes it £98 for the psp + 16gb storage. Is this a good deal?
Only thing is I have no way of confirming the firmware. If it is above 5.03 I can still get a pandora battery and have it hacked right? Anyone have any recommendations or am I getting a good deal here?

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would get the PSP 2000, as it is usually fully hackable. And 8-16GB should hold quite a bit of stuff.

D

Deleted User

PSP-2000's aren't *always* hackable--some have unhackable mobos. The sureroute is to get a PSP-1000. Honestly, in my homebrew experience, I haven't seen anything that would really use the extra 32MB of RAM that the PSP-2000/3000 have. IR shell may use the extra ram, and I'm sure there are some emulators/plugins that have save-states for *PSP* games, not just emulators.

However, if you can find a hackable PSP-2000 (use PSPident/memory card) at the store to identify if the motherboard is hackable. You could also buy a pandora battery and see if you could set the store-model into service mode. I've heard that Lexar memory sticks (look at the memory stick thread) often have some compatibility issues. If you wish to save money you might want to try the 2xMicroSD--> Memory Stick Pro Duo Option. Either way, it'll end up as 14.9GB's because of the formatting.

As far as memory stick size goes, going beyond 8 is a bit extreme in my opinion, especially since we have no idea about the E3 "PSP2" "3DS" showcasing in June, which really isn't too far off, and whether they'll use the same space. None of the [PSP] games really exceed 2GB in size, most tend to be about 1k-1500mb, it's the PSX-PSP conversions that really tend to take up a lot of space (Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX etc). So unless you desire to have all that many PSX games on your psp, your fine with an 8GB stick.

8GB is plenty of space, I currently have:
Brave Story New Traveler
Shin Megami Tensei Persona
Half Minute Hero
Disgaea (Afternoon/Dark Hero days)(two games)
Castlevania SOTN
Xenogears
Grandia
Parasite Eve I+II
as well as around 20 games for both SNES/GBA and plenty of NES games.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 16gb stick and that's a bit overkill but I love having so many games on my PSP!

PSP-1000 is a sure hack but most PSP-2000s are hackable and benefit from a slimmer form factor, extra RAM for UMD Caching and a better screen but have a worse battery life. Whatever you do avoid the PSP-3000 models as they are entirely unhackable.
From looking at PSP-2000s I'd say the 1000 is more durable and nicer to hold (hand grip bumps on back with a matte finish as opposed to a flat, shiny 2000.) The UMD door on the 2000 concerns me by how far it opens out though the lack of tray lightens the load probably. The Wi-Fi switch is better located on the 2000 as well (I often knock my slightly faulty switch off in gameplay)

Berioth

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
3000 unhackable? well depends on the Version of the 3000, if it had 5.50 or lower you can use Gen D-3 and run the great majority of games/homebrew just fine(save some that even the 1000 and 2000 cant run, birth by sleep, god eater), but if its over 5.50, well im sorry but no deal, so i suggest you get a 1000 too because the newest psps 3000 have over the 5.50 and because its easier that way

Conor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I'll stick with the 16gb as it's only £10 more and I like to have a good bit of roms at a time.
So is £98 a good deal for all I'm getting? if the firmware is past 5.03 I can fall back on a pandora battery right?

Berioth

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Conor said:
I think I'll stick with the 16gb as it's only £10 more and I like to have a good bit of roms at a time.
So is £98 a good deal for all I'm getting? if the firmware is past 5.03 I can fall back on a pandora battery right?

well im pretty sure you can, but, psps 2000 with ta88v3(the newest 2000s) and all 3000s cant use pandora battery, so if you wanna use it the safest would be 1000, but im not sure since i only owned a 3000

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With Birth By Sleep not being hackable, that I know of.

Is Sony going to keep implementing this AP on all their games from on now?

D

Deleted User

Depending on the game you should optimize the emulator/graphics/sound settings to tweak them. Most emulators have a trial/error tested list. Also, use frame-skip.

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Berioth said:
3000 unhackable? well depends on the Version of the 3000, if it had 5.50 or lower you can use Gen D-3 and run the great majority of games/homebrew just fine(save some that even the 1000 and 2000 cant run, birth by sleep, god eater), but if its over 5.50, well im sorry but no deal, so i suggest you get a 1000 too because the newest psps 3000 have over the 5.50 and because its easier that way

Lol whut? What are you talking about? 3000's with 5.50 can run Chick-HEN and run 5.03 but I've never heard of them running D3.

IgiveUgas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assassination said:
dont get emulators it runs sooooo slow
QUOTE(Assassination @ Apr 13 2010, 04:32 PM) Ohh then my psp must had major problems lol

Must have had MAJOR problems.... That's the only good thing about the PSP - emulators. So many emulators work near perfect. I can't remember the last time I played an actual PSP game.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When I bought my hackable psp 2000, I just went through ebay asking every seller what system software version it was running. Most sure fire way. You may even get lucky and find one that is already hacked going for the same price as others.

As for memory stick size, I had a 4GiB stick and could only fit a couple of games on there, so I bought a 32GiB stick and that is half full now... It is amazing how quickly you can use up the space on a memory stick when psp games are 1 - 2 GiB each.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CrashmanX said:
Berioth said:

Lol whut? What are you talking about? 3000's with 5.50 can run Chick-HEN and run 5.03 but I've never heard of them running D3.
You'd need a 3000 with 5.03 to run ChickHEN and semi-install 5.03 GEN-C.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have big hands and want a for sure hackable PSP, then go for a PSP 1000. If you have smaller hands, and are willing to hunt for a Hackable psp, get a 2000. seeing as you are looking for one in the UK, it shouldn't be too hard. I got my psp 2000, and I love it, yet it feels too light and cheap for me, but then my friend came over with her psp 1000, and it was a teensy bit big, but okay, and it didn't feel cheap at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY