So, thingks like Flatmii, Flatmod, WODE, etc...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by FireEmblemGuy, Jan 9, 2010.

1. FireEmblemGuy
    OP

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    They all require you to still have a DVD drive in your Wii to work, correct? Is there any sort of backup solution that acts as a full drive replacement, simply letting me plug the DVD drive's ribbon/data cable into the device without plugging anything into the DVD drive's data port? As far as I know USB loaders aren't a solution to this as the IOS still tries to query the drive, which isn't there for it to find, or something to that extent, which is ridiculous because this happens even with WiiWare/VC games.

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The SunDriver sits where the DVD drive would be.

I'm pretty sure any modchip with SD or USB loading capabilities doesn't need the DVD drive.

3. brownmurder

Member brownmurder GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Dialexio have you got a link to the softmod GameCube USB loader in you sig?

[​IMG]

4. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Exactly. They (SunDriver, FlatMii, WODE) all emulate the Drive, so the Wii thinks there is a Drive connected, even if you removed the original one. So yes, they'll work without a drive. At least I'm 100% shure that this works with the SunDriver. I can't garantee on the others, but I'm also pretty shure there.

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    no. with flatmii you can leave the dvd drive in the wii or remove it. both work fine.

these are all drive emulators. which means that they look to the wii exactly like a dvd drive.

there is also a thread around here where some guy just took the control board off his dvd drive and left it in the wii and took out the drive. then he crammed in a HDD.