Hacking So my DS Phat's hinge broke...

Trigger_Happy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dropped my DS and it landed at the perfect spot to break the hinge but not damage anything else. I was frightened, saddened, nearing the brink of insanity, etc. It was like watching my world crashing and bouncing and opening and closing... like a DS falling to the ground.

I bought a replacement shell, tri-wing screwdriver (already have the other screwdriver), and a couple of styluses.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5128
^ Replacement shell

I have a couple of questions while I wait for my stuff to come in, though.

1. How can I hold myself over while I wait for my replacement shell?
2. All I see are reviews for Lite shells. What is the general opinion on these shells?
3. How hard/easy is it to just replace the top shell?

Thanks for your input, guys...

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I personall haven't done it but I remember it's very difficult or time consuming. You might want to start looking on youtube on how to dissassemble and reassemble the DS b/c people complain how replacement shells are good but fail in comparison to the origionals (The screws don't always fit smoothyl) and etc. Just do some research on opening and read the warnings others give such as beware of tearing off the ribbon cables and the bottom touch screen.
-kevin

Uchiha Obito

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
lol try to think of something else... school
lecture.gif
for example always take my mind out of the good way of life
smileipb2.png

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
read all the guides you can find!

(Tip with all electronic dismantling ...take photos when you take it apart at each major stage to remind yourself where each bit goes and how!)

also follow JMR's picture guide here on SCdev.org ..

I used it when my son's PHAT broke there's a video guide on there too
smile.gif

Just take your time and follow the guides to the letter don't rush it or things will get broken!

Tip #2 have some containers ready or even cereal bowls to put parts in that you take off like screws that are tiny and may get lost otherwise and another one for parts your going to replace with to keep them from gettin mixed up
smile.gif

Oh and maby use the old shoulder buttons as the replacement ones seem to be a little tight fit ... I also kept and used the original thumbpad and buttons the replacement ones didn't feel right
frown.gif

Something I forgot to do when putting it back together was there's a clear plastic insert where the power and charge lights are on the lower casing to put in before screwing it all back together .. had to take the bottom apart again to put it in doh!

Another tip ....keep your old case bottom part this has your serial number of the DS on as the sticker that comes with it has none (serial is useful when registering the ds with NINTENDO for STARS if you can exchange for things .. you get 50 for each DS registered (I registered our DS consoles to use as Wii Points) also if you decide to trade the PHAT in at a games store after the change they will not accept it without the SERIAL number
frown.gif

Also with the battery compartment door of the replacement case when I tightened the screw too hard it broke the door in the area round where the screw fits in so could not be used ... solution was to use the door of the old battery enclosure case
smile.gif

Trigger_Happy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goten said:

lol try to think of something else... school
lecture.gif
for example always take my mind out of the good way of life
smileipb2.png

Ah, I wish that were so, but next semester is coming around the time my replacement shell does.
dry.gif

I looked at reviews on these shells and there have been mixes of "Great build quality" and "Poor quality" but the only thing that gets mentioned is the having to file down some edges and stuff. I know it's cheap and I shouldn't expect much, but I don't want to buy something that could break apart in my pocket cheap.

Edit: Kobykaan, while I did read a couple of guides (just not this one), I was hoping for for a "Oh, it's a tad easy" or some generic answer. But much to my surprise someone already answered that in the link you provided.

kevenka said:
Eh, I personall haven't done it but I remember it's very difficult or time consuming. You might want to start looking on youtube on how to dissassemble and reassemble the DS b/c people complain how replacement shells are good but fail in comparison to the origionals

Yeah, I didn't get to find as many disassembly guides as I did back when all we had were phats.

(The screws don't always fit smoothyl) and etc.

Kinda why I didn't really want to bother with the bottom screen, actually.

Big Green

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have to solder anything or is it just taking everything apart and putting it back together with a screw driver and replacement shell

Posts merged

I also want to do this. But I only want to replace the top shell and that's it.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Big Green said:
Do you have to solder anything or is it just taking everything apart and putting it back together with a screw driver and replacement shell

no there's no soldering at all you may struggle to change just the top half of the casing as you need to disassemble the bottom half to push the pins out of the hinges to remove the top part of the case ..

look at the link I made above and see steps .. 11 & 12 where you need to get the pins out
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night