So my DS Phat's hinge broke...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Trigger_Happy, Jan 7, 2009.

Jan 7, 2009
  1. Trigger_Happy
    OP

Newcomer Trigger_Happy Advanced Member

United States
    I dropped my DS and it landed at the perfect spot to break the hinge but not damage anything else. I was frightened, saddened, nearing the brink of insanity, etc. It was like watching my world crashing and bouncing and opening and closing... like a DS falling to the ground.

I bought a replacement shell, tri-wing screwdriver (already have the other screwdriver), and a couple of styluses.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5128
    ^ Replacement shell

I have a couple of questions while I wait for my stuff to come in, though.

1. How can I hold myself over while I wait for my replacement shell?
    2. All I see are reviews for Lite shells. What is the general opinion on these shells?
    3. How hard/easy is it to just replace the top shell?

Thanks for your input, guys...

2. Trigger_Happy
    OP

United States
    Bump this thread because I seriously doubt that there is nobody that can give any input.

3. kevenka

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Eh, I personall haven't done it but I remember it's very difficult or time consuming. You might want to start looking on youtube on how to dissassemble and reassemble the DS b/c people complain how replacement shells are good but fail in comparison to the origionals (The screws don't always fit smoothyl) and etc. Just do some research on opening and read the warnings others give such as beware of tearing off the ribbon cables and the bottom touch screen.
    -kevin

4. Uchiha Obito

Member Uchiha Obito GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    lol try to think of something else... school [​IMG] for example always take my mind out of the good way of life [​IMG]

5. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    read all the guides you can find!

(Tip with all electronic dismantling ...take photos when you take it apart at each major stage to remind yourself where each bit goes and how!)

also follow JMR's picture guide here on SCdev.org ..

I used it when my son's PHAT broke there's a video guide on there too [​IMG]

Just take your time and follow the guides to the letter don't rush it or things will get broken!

Tip #2 have some containers ready or even cereal bowls to put parts in that you take off like screws that are tiny and may get lost otherwise and another one for parts your going to replace with to keep them from gettin mixed up [​IMG]

Oh and maby use the old shoulder buttons as the replacement ones seem to be a little tight fit ... I also kept and used the original thumbpad and buttons the replacement ones didn't feel right [​IMG]

Something I forgot to do when putting it back together was there's a clear plastic insert where the power and charge lights are on the lower casing to put in before screwing it all back together .. had to take the bottom apart again to put it in doh!

Another tip ....keep your old case bottom part this has your serial number of the DS on as the sticker that comes with it has none (serial is useful when registering the ds with NINTENDO for STARS if you can exchange for things .. you get 50 for each DS registered (I registered our DS consoles to use as Wii Points) also if you decide to trade the PHAT in at a games store after the change they will not accept it without the SERIAL number [​IMG]

Also with the battery compartment door of the replacement case when I tightened the screw too hard it broke the door in the area round where the screw fits in so could not be used ... solution was to use the door of the old battery enclosure case [​IMG]

6. Trigger_Happy
    OP

United States
    Kinda why I didn't really want to bother with the bottom screen, actually.

7. Big Green

Newcomer Big Green Advanced Member

United States
    Do you have to solder anything or is it just taking everything apart and putting it back together with a screw driver and replacement shell

Posts merged

I also want to do this. But I only want to replace the top shell and that's it.

8. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

no there's no soldering at all you may struggle to change just the top half of the casing as you need to disassemble the bottom half to push the pins out of the hinges to remove the top part of the case ..

look at the link I made above and see steps .. 11 & 12 where you need to get the pins out [​IMG]