Hacking So much for dns blocking

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of you have a router with url blocking built in? If you do that is all you need

the router I'm using only allows for like 2 or 3 blocked urls. I'm using cc proxy to block ps4 updates as well since the option to not download/install updates is broken. there r a lot of possible update servers with that one. I found them using cc proxy, so now my ps4 errors whenever u try to update via psn or system update. I'm not sure if all r needed, but u can use as many as u want, so it's better to be safe. I think the wii u uses between 5-7 update servers, so even that by itself would be too much for my router.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think blocking with a third-party program or via the router is for people who want to manage it themselves. ...or for people paranoid, like me. :P I'm blocking updates for 2 wii u's, and I've been blocking one of them since the 5.3.2 days. this has always been done through cc proxy. I've encountered no issues with either system, so I'm happy with my setup. :)

Gerinych

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have SpotPass on? I remember a long time ago when I was setting up my 3DS, it said something about being able to receive system updates using SpotPass. Maybe it's the same deal here.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have SpotPass on? I remember a long time ago when I was setting up my 3DS, it said something about being able to receive system updates using SpotPass. Maybe it's the same deal here.
That setting doesn't matter in this case. Whether or not the Spotpass setting it turned on, a properly setup DNS will block the update, and not effectively blocking updates will result in the automatic download and installation of the new update.

Gerinych

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
That setting doesn't matter in this case. Whether or not the Spotpass setting it turned on, a properly setup DNS will block the update, and not effectively blocking updates will result in the automatic download and installation of the new update.
Oh, I thought this would make it connect to open networks in sleep mode and download updates through them. If that was the case, I doubt that a DNS block would help, because the network would set its own DNS server.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I thought this would make it connect to open networks in sleep mode and download updates through them. If that was the case, I doubt that a DNS block would help, because the network would set its own DNS server.
Trust me, some of us users have been following the Wii U hacking scene for years now. We would know by now that automatic updates can be turned off. Not even sys config tool has any options to disable it. It's not a hidden option, there's literally no way to disable it and it was intentional by Nintendo for it to be this way.

marbles73

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm confused as to how this has happened. My Wii U is on 5.5.1 and it always asks before installing the update. I have standby and quick start disabled. I had those "update ready to install" pop ups but simply circumvented them by turning the system off then back on. My young niece even snuck on the system and I was sure it would be updated but even she somehow managed to avoid updating. I've only recently changed the DNS because those occasional pop ups were annoying.

Very confused as to how these updates are getting stealthily installed for some. Considering installing haxchi just in case.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused as to how this has happened. My Wii U is on 5.5.1 and it always asks before installing the update. I have standby and quick start disabled. I had those "update ready to install" pop ups but simply circumvented them by turning the system off then back on. My young niece even snuck on the system and I was sure it would be updated but even she somehow managed to avoid updating. I've only recently changed the DNS because those occasional pop ups were annoying.

Very confused as to how these updates are getting stealthily installed for some. Considering installing haxchi just in case.
It's been common knowledge for years that the Wii U can and will install updates without giving the user a choice once the update has been completely downloaded. If one doesn't wish to be forcibly updated to 5.5.2, one should use the correct DNS servers, and one should delete the update folder from the Wii U's NAND.

marbles73

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's been common knowledge for years that the Wii U can and will install updates without giving the user a choice once the update has been completely downloaded. If one doesn't wish to be forcibly updated to 5.5.2, one should use the correct DNS servers, and one should delete the update folder from the Wii U's NAND.
I know the Wii U does rather aggressively install updates while turned off. But how can it happen with Standby disabled? Or the DNS blocked? The popup says it's ready to install, the pop up doesn't let you decline but you can circumvent it. It shouldn't be able to install since it needs permission unless it's during standby.

I sure hope the Switch isn't like this, it has battery life and a possible lack of wifi signals to deal with.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the Wii U does rather aggressively install updates while turned off. But how can it happen with Standby disabled? Or the DNS blocked? The popup says it's ready to install, the pop up doesn't let you decline but you can circumvent it. It shouldn't be able to install since it needs permission unless it's during standby.

I sure hope the Switch isn't like this, it has battery life and a possible lack of wifi signals to deal with.
With the proper DNS settings, the Wii U cannot download the update. Without a way to block downloading updates, the Wii U will download the update in the background, and then it will give you a prompt saying it's going to update with no way to cancel aside from powering off the system. It doesn't matter if you have Standby turned off.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this reminds me of the issue with the ps4. I have a friend whose ps4 not only downloaded an update but installed it. I can verify that my ps4 will download updates, not sure about installing, even if disabled. I own a JP ps4 as well while my friend owns an American ps4, so it's an issue with the software. I'm basically saying u should try to block updates with any system even ones that don't normally update automatically.

marbles73

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With the proper DNS settings, the Wii U cannot download the update. Without a way to block downloading updates, the Wii U will download the update in the background, and then it will give you a prompt saying it's going to update with no way to cancel aside from powering off the system. It doesn't matter if you have Standby turned off.
That's good enough, you can circumvent by booting into Wii mode or power cycling the system. It's just really annoying. Speaking of which, there is a bouncing "X" on the Download Management icon which is also annoying. This is normal right?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good enough, you can circumvent by booting into Wii mode or power cycling the system. It's just really annoying. Speaking of which, there is a bouncing "X" on the Download Management icon which is also annoying. This is normal right?
The bouncing red X is normal if you're using the DNS blocking method.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
due note that the bouncing X doesn't always happen. it seems that the wii u takes a break every so often, so if u don't see the bouncing x, don't panic. this can happen if u make changes to the internet settings as well. it can sometimes take a day for the bouncing red x to reappear.

Reactions: MattKimura
D

Deleted User

I have DNS on since last year and no update so far.
You're advised to set both TitleDNS addresses, not just one.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just confused as to why people don't just use Haxchi - $7 and you don't have to deal with this stuff. You just update and nothing changes. The browser sucks, I honestly can't believe people use it as a primary exploit.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just confused as to why people don't just use Haxchi - $7 and you don't have to deal with this stuff. You just update and nothing changes. The browser sucks, I honestly can't believe people use it as a primary exploit.
If one knows what he or she is doing, there's no real need for Haxchi, and CBHC would just be for convenience. For people who don't know what they're doing, I recommend Haxchi since they're likely to accidentally update to 5.5.2.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because for some it's just not that easy they may not own a credit card they may not know anyone who has a credit card to borrow they may not be able to buy a wiiu points card(not sure what they are called in rest of the world. For instance no shop in my area sells them the nearest shop that does is 240 miles away from me and they don't deliver. They may stay in one of the countries that does not have the eshop yes there are a few. There are a number of reasons why someone can't or doesn't want to use haxchi.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.