So, I want my space back..

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Rock Raiyu, Dec 22, 2008.

Dec 22, 2008

So, I want my space back.. by Rock Raiyu at 12:18 AM (1,060 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Rock Raiyu
    OP

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Earlier I made a partition and I failed to install a new OS in it so I want that same space back. Can I do this without having to reformat my HD? Can I use Partition Magic, if so how do I do it?

2. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    gparted live cd?

3. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I'm about to do that. But I may keep it there so I can dual-boot Windows 7..

4. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    format the new partition in partition magic (Note has to be same cluster type and size eg NTSC 512K cluster ... check the older original partition for details and information and make it the same) and then merge it with the old one and reboot [​IMG]

5. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    Thanks, I successfully dual-booted Windows 7. [​IMG]

6. juggernaut911

United States
    very nice! post some screenshots! you like?

7. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    Sure why not?
    To me, Windows 7 is far more superior to Windows Vista. It might even replace everyones beloved XP. Even though it uses 30% of what Vista uses, it runs a hell of a lot better. Programs open up quickly (I mean literally, I can open up a program before I can even snap my fingers) everything looks and feels better. They even gave MS Paint a bit of a make over. The start menu and taskbar look awesome too. Makes it a bit easier to switch from program to program and you don't have to worry about the programs in the taskbar getting pushed all together. It even has an Action Center to solve problems. (You can see at the bottom of the taskbar, right next to mIRC. with the X. I still have to install an Anti-Virus program it tells me which is true.) It still keeps some of the look from Vista though. The only sad thing is, this is the beta so its not really complete. It's the beta, but I can't wait till the official one comes out. [​IMG]

Some Screens
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

8. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    ....so they gave paint the OFFICE 2007 look then lol [​IMG]

how I loath the 2007 layout ... had to use the classic hack to get it back to normality lol the ribbon layout is just to pita to use [​IMG]

may consider windows 7 when its out of beta but for me xp+sp3 does me for now [​IMG]

VISTA just plain sucks when it does not come pre installed on a system and its too much messing about trying to get all custom hardware installed if you built the system yourself!

9. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    ooooh, I love the windows 7 look. I might have to buy a home basic CD when it comes out!

10. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon

Well thats really true. I hate the driver and hardware support with vista, yet im forced to stick with it due to gaming purposes, when windows 7 comes out officially im surely gonna go out get it and see the gaming, hardware compatibility for it.

11. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    It depends on what hardware you have. I've found that it works great on an old asus motherboard with a pentium 4 chip, although that's pretty outdated technology and the motherboards are prone to failure within 4 years.

It should work fine with new asus hardware as well.

But on the other hand I've had problems with vista on dell laptops, primarily one SATA update pretty much disables the entire o/s at boot. The workaround seems to be to update the SATA from dell's site before using the windows updates.

I'm still running windows vista RTM with time activation hack from back when vista was launched. It works fine but I never update it because I'm sure MS found a way to disable my copy of vista within the first few months the hack came out [​IMG] I always find myself dual booting into windows xp anyway, I hate the file explorer in windows vista.

12. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    One question about W7: can you update to other pre-release versions once they come out, or do you have to do a clean install every time?

13. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    To tell you the truth, I have no clue. This is a clean install that came out not even a week ago. But from what I've figured out, they send new updates that may fix some stuff or add new features.

But yeah, Vista works perfectly fine on my Dell XPS laptop. Have no problems with SATA though but I don't mess with them because I can't get to them lol.

14. juggernaut911

United States
    W7 looks pretty sweet. Explorer in 7 > Explorer in Vista!

Lucky