So I uninstalled my IOS60 using WadManager (Silly Me)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ILLPLEASA, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ILLPLEASA
    OP

Newcomer ILLPLEASA Member

United States
    To make a long story short, I have a launch USA Wii with a genuine Wiikey modchip installed... I was running 3.2U with Homebrew Channel installed and more recently installed Waninkoko's cIOS36 rev9. Then I used Waninkoko's Firmware Updater 4.0 to be able to keep the Truchna bug (and which only updates the necessary system files). I then installed the patched IOS60 file via WadManager 1.3 in order to load homebrew from the SD menu.

Everything was set.. Then (silly me) I decided I wanted to test out for myself what would happen if I were to unpatch the IOS60 file and then try to load homebrew from the SD Card (stupid move I know, but I like testing things out for myself sometimes as a way to better understand why I can or can't do a certain thing). Not fully understanding that I had installed an actual patched IOS60 file into the system instead of only installing an IOS60 "patch", I tried to uninstall the patch via WadManager 1.3. This ofcourse didn't remove only the patch, but removed the entire IOS60 from my Wii, inevitably bricking it (from what I understand beyond repair).

To my knowledge this is considered a "low-level brick" as when I turn on my Wii, the green power light turns on, the DVD Drive boots up, but no screen ever comes up, it is essentially the "Black Screen of Death"...

It is not necessary for me to fix my Wii asap. I haven't really been using my Wii for a while before this and don't see myself needing it anytime soon. I however would like to know if there is anything I can do right now to try to unbrick it? Or should I just wait for BootMii? Will BootMii essentially get me out of this type of Brick as is or did I need to have it installed before hand in order for it to help with this problem? Or will there be any materials I need to purchase before hand once its released (if its ever released)?

Also, if I won't be able to unbrick this myself, are they any confirmed (meaning have done a few unbricks from people on forums and have a good business reputation)modders who I would be able to ship it out to and get it fixed by them?

Thanks in advance for taking your time in reading this, and I hope to hear from you guys soon.

2. MightyMouse

Member MightyMouse GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    ouch, bad luck dude.

hope ya get it fixed, sounds like a Nintendo or Infectus job to me dude

3. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I dunno how to fix it buy I'm gonna reiterate this point again.

BootMii will NOT fix anything if you've already bricked your Wii. You need to have it installed BEFORE you break your Wii.

Otherwise how will you load it?

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    BootMii could easily solve your problem if it was released and you installed it before your brick. As far as i know the only thing that help is a nand programmer that can read/write your nand without the Wii hardware. But most likely you would need at least your nand key for this and better would be a full nand backup, but i'm not sure.

5. nintendolinky

Member nintendolinky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I did the exact same thing. What i did was take took the wii back to the shop and said it bricked during the update to 4.0. They didnt even test the console, just made me sign something and off i went.

6. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    Man, this is why you NEVER remove an IOS

7. ILLPLEASA
    OP

United States
    Thanks for all the replies guys.. One quick question.. In my case, should I even try SaveMiiFree, or will that method not apply for this type of brick?

8. MightyMouse

Member MightyMouse GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i dont think it will boot since the system menu's IOS is no longer installed.

by all means try it, maybe because your autobooting a disc which runs from some other IOS it might work, but a autoboot wadmanager disc for example i dont think is gonna work since your on 4.0 so no trucha

9. ILLPLEASA
    OP

United States
    Excuse me if I am wrong, but just throwing ideas around.. If I'm not mistaken, isn't that what the Custom IOS does? Allow you to run Trucha signed discs? Because remember, I did have Waninkoko's cIOS36 rev9 installed before I udpated using his 4.0 updater. Won't that allow me to run any of these recovery discs if I do succeed in getting SaveMiiFree to work? (Won't be able to test out SaveMiiFree until later on in the evening as I am working till late)

10. WiiPower

Germany
    As far as i know you can't get any disc to work because the system menu tries to detect which IOS to load for each disc even with autoboot, savemii or starfall autoboot. And the system menu requires its IOS for that.

11. crwys

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I think there should be a pinned post saying "NEVER REMOVE ANY IOS FILES NO MATTER WHAT" ....

I'll take your wii though if it doesnt get fixed lol, i need a dvd drive for my other broken wii. ( i got 2)

12. ILLPLEASA
    OP

United States
    So pretty much even if I get SaveMiiFree to load my Firware version on the lower right hand of the screen, theres nothing I will be able to do as none of the discs would load anyway?

13. WiiPower

Germany
    It's worth a test, but i doubt it works. I don't know much about this, so i may be wrong.

14. supagusti

Member supagusti GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    Try this one: Autoboot Homebrew Channel Disc
    If its working you can lauch WAD-Manager through HBC to reinstall the WAD

Leave feedback how it worked...

15. grakje

Newcomer grakje Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Why are so many people deleting their IOSes? Because it's cool [​IMG]

16. pspmte

Member pspmte GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Christ that was silly
    Did you have Preloader .29 installed? cant you boot from ios 30 on that or install wad manager from there to install ios60 again
    If not have u you tryed the pink disc, you could try and save another 4.0 wiis files and copy it to your wii
    bk up first tho mate
    If not wait for 4.0 game to come out and auto boot it in system recovery, im waiting for that with 2 of my wiis i bricked installing a jap 3.4 lol

17. carbonyle

Member carbonyle GBAtemp Fan

Switzerland
    especialy the ONE used by systemmenu! use anytitl deleter mod by squirel: you cannot deleted the ios used by systemmenu (avoid such stupid move)

18. ILLPLEASA
    OP

United States
    Is this for future references or are you telling me to try this for fixing the brick?

Thanks once again guys for the comments and support (even the negative ones [​IMG] ) Seriously though, I appreicate the help! ;-)

Keep those ideas/thoughts coming!

19. ILLPLEASA
    OP

United States
    Just tried SaveMiiFrii mod... Didn't work... Things are looking grim now.. I'm going to burn the Autoboot Homebrew Channel Disc... I'll update you guys in a bit...

20. ILLPLEASA
    OP

United States
    Tried the Autoboot Homebrew Channel Disc.. Nothing.. Going to try Pink Disc next...