OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I installed CFW from this guide:

Now what?

Is there any way I can update my system so I can access the eShop? I'm not able to play newer carts because I'm running 4.2.0-9U.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ALBW should work fine as a CIA file on the 4.x "CFW". Before I switched to Gateway, I ripped my own cart and converted it. If I recall, it ran and saved fine, but pressing the home button would occasionally freeze the system. I highly suggest moving away from the CFW though, as it's very unstable, and limited in what it can do (it can play some games from 6.x and 7.x in CIA format, but not many, it's on a per-game basis, it cannot access the eshop, it is not region free for CIAs (meaning you have to seek out "region free" patched CIAs) or retail carts, and it cannot play retail cartridges newer than your current firmware version), if you can. You can access the eShop if you also use the MT card's emunand, but with the new 9.5 update that came out recently, it has some bugs (some games boot in Japanese, Majora's Mask freezes if it's an out of region cart, or something to that effect).

Reactions: Zidapi

disengage_0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ALBW should work fine as a CIA file on the 4.x "CFW". Before I switched to Gateway, I ripped my own cart and converted it. If I recall, it ran and saved fine, but pressing the home button would occasionally freeze the system. I highly suggest moving away from the CFW though, as it's very unstable, and limited in what it can do (it can play some games from 6.x and 7.x, but not many, it's on a per-game basis, it cannot access the eshop, it is not region free for CIAs (meaning you have to seek out "region free" patched CIAs) or retail carts, and it cannot play retail cartridges newer than your current firmware version), if you can. You can access the eShop if you also use the MT card's emunand, but with the new 9.5 update that came out recently, it has some bugs (some games boot in Japanese, Majora's Mask freezes if it's an out of region cart, or something to that effect).
Can you show me how to install MT card's emunand?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Can you show me how to install MT card's emunand?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-4-5-sysnand-4-5-cfw-9-4-emunand-without-gateway.378721/

You can ignore the second step since you have the 4.5 part done. Note that that needs a second SD card. Someone wrote a guide on how to have both on one SD card, but I can't vouch for how stable it is, or if it has any issues on its own: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...and-mt-cfw-on-the-same-sd-for-4-x-3ds.380787/

If all you want to do is just play 3DS games and not have to worry about system updates and dealing with emuNANDs, or don't care about the possibility of using homebrew, honestly speaking, I would say you should just go with a Sky3DS if you plan on getting a flashcart. It basically pretends to be a retail game card, so it works all the way up to 9.5, the latest firmware (at the trade off of no homebrew, no eshop "backups", and limited region-free capabilities with region-three). Then you could still have access to the eShop, and all that, without needing to deal with emuNANDs. If you go this route though, use the Gateway or MT card launcher before updating your system, to make a backup of your 4.x system NAND, in case you ever have second thoughts, so you can downgrade with a hardware mod (if you get it installed at some point). Also, one last thing, if you go the Sky3DS route, make sure to use the gateway or MT launchers to dump a copy of one of your retail games, so you can use a private header if you need/want to play games online (see the various banning topics, apparently they were using public headers, meaning tons of people were online at once with the "same copy of the game", and Nintendo noticed).

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can't. You'll have to use your CFW emuNAND for that (by either installing homebrew programs in CIA format, or getting Cubic Ninja and running Ninjhax, but why bother when CIAs are readily available for almost all current homebrew apps). MT card's emuNAND (also known as Classic Mode) is for playing retail carts and eShop games basically.

AquaX101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse