So I got a PS3....

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by jphriendly, Jul 19, 2009.

Jul 19, 2009

So I got a PS3.... by jphriendly at 7:07 PM (1,271 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. jphriendly
    OP

Member jphriendly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I recently inherited a free 80GB PS3 from my brother while on vacation (he won it at work and already had one) with a copy of Sonic and The Orange Box. I already installed Yellow Dog Linux and a bunch of emulators. I know that most things that you can do with other systems is pretty much out of the question at the moment such as loading backups and whatnot.

So, I was wondering, besides MegaBox, is there anything cool I can do with it that I haven't done already? Any suggestions would be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. JohnnyCheeks

Member JohnnyCheeks GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Play games.

May I recommend, KZ2, Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4, Burnout Paradise, LBP, Wipeout HD, Trash Panic?

3. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    visit

http://www.youtube.com/xl

or

http://www.youtube.com/tv

and watch youtube full screen on your PS3 browser on your TV [​IMG]

or watch JOOST on it

using

http://labs.joost.com/tv

use PS HOME and have a wander about in a cool virtual enviroment and visit the EA home section where you can race carts and practice golf (driving range)

there's a few more games tucked away there too in hidden areas

(clue look for symbols on the walls like this [​IMG] its a portal to another dimension! )

there are also other spaces on there to visit such as Guitar Hero,Godfather 2,Red Bull air race (fly the Red Bull planes),Resident evil 5,warhawk, Buzz (play quizzes) and many more spaces and more to come [​IMG]

oh and download all the free demos you want from PSN store as demos are free there are some free game videos too that you can download or stream and watch [​IMG]

there's a crap load of great games out there read the recommended games section in the PS3 area of this forum [​IMG]

have a PSP? then you can use REMOTE PLAY to stream whatever your watching on the PS3 right to your PSP either across your home or via the net infact anywhere there is an internet connection ....you can access your PS3 ..connect your PC to your PS3 via PS3 Media Server and you can remote play the PS3 via your PSP and access the media on your PC and stream video and music to the PS3 and onto the PSP [​IMG]

there's loads of other cool stuff but I suggest visit the Playstation website for more info!

oh did i mention best thing with PS3 online gaming and the PS HOME is its TOTALLY FREE no subscriptions!

4. Dimensional

Member Dimensional GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Basically, there's a lot of stuff you can do on the PS3, mainly if you have a high speed internet connection.

5. Jaems

Member Jaems GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    add me: BearEggs

6. jphriendly
    OP

United States
    I don't have a PSP and I'm waiting for payday to get a few games (been playing alot of
    Portal). Joost/Youtube on it sounds pretty cool. And I already signed up for PS Home. I thought it was kinda awesome that they give you an apartment of your own. Also the courtyard area with the movie theater...etc. I'll have to explore more and find these hidden areas.

I'm trying to stay away from the PS Store for the time being until I have some cash for a few things but I did grab a few videos. Maybe I'll hit the video store later today and see if there are any of the games Johnny suggested. Only one I have played was Burnout and that was the PC version.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys. Guess I'll poke around more (forums and PS Home) and see what else there is to be seen. [​IMG]

*edit* Ok...I'll add you when I get home later on this evening (I'm jphriendly on there as well). Got some running around to do and want to see what games the vid store has for rent, if any. [​IMG]

7. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

there's a demo version of BURNOUT PARADISE on the PSN store along with a load of other cool demos all free to download and free to play they are just not full versions or just a couple of levels of whatever enough though to give you a taste of what the real game is like [​IMG]

8. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    get a hi-def lead and watch some blu-ray movies

9. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Try this...........

[​IMG]

WHAT!.................. I thought it was cool.

10. jphriendly
    OP

United States
    I'm currently using a HDMI/DVI-M cable to connect it to my 21 inch PC monitor. It looks awesome (if only I could figure out how to get Yellow Dog to fill up the whole screen, no biggie though). I may have to grab a movie or two as well just to see how good it looks.

@kobykaan....Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to be pretty busy now with the rest of my weekend. [​IMG]

Anyways, I'm out of here for a while. I'll reply to any other suggestions when I get back later. Thanks again folks for all the help and ideas. [​IMG]

*edit* lol Mantis. Saw that in another thread here. That's some funny stuff.