Hacking So confused

PinkLemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys.
I bought a Wii 3 days ago and i have already discovered it can be hacked. Great.
Now, i've read a lot of guides about hacking my Wii, but i've got some doubts. Unfortunately i discovered i've got a System Menu 4.2 so i can't install BootMii as Boot2 but only as IOS (I verified it with an SD card).
By reading here and there, the real problem i've noticed is the phantom of "bricking the console". So my main problem is, how can i assure my Wii to be perfectly anti-brick? Since i have a System Menu 4.2 i can't use BootMii as Boot2 and i am forced (?) to use the Preloader too.
All that's written below is just theoretical, i haven't installed BootMii, HBC or Preloader, because there are so many risks, so confirmations are appreciated.
So, Imagine i've installed BootMii as Boot2 (not on my Wii, obviously) and took a Nand backup: what would happen if my Wii bricks?
I switch on my Wii, the BootMii menu pops up, open up the "Nand backup restorer" and i restore the Nand. My Wii will work perfectly after reboot, right?
Ok, let's imagine i installed BootMii as IOS: i could access it just by my Homebrew Channel, right?
My Wii is bricked so i can't access the System Menu and therefore HBC.
But if i have the Preloader installed i could access the HBC channel, and from there i could open up BootMii and restore my Nand, right?
So, what's the real difference between the two "strategies"? Apart from the ease of the first method compared to the second one, is there anything else i should know?
For example, will the Preloader always show up when my Wii is bricked? or will i be always able to enter the HBC from the Preloader when my Wii is bricked?
I know this is a very boring topic, but guides don't explain this kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PinkLemon said:
Hi guys.
I bought a Wii 3 days ago and i have already discovered it can be hacked. Great.
Now, i've read a lot of guides about hacking my Wii, but i've got some doubts. Unfortunately i discovered i've got a System Menu 4.2 so i can't install BootMii as Boot2 but only as IOS (I verified it with an SD card).
By reading here and there, the real problem i've noticed is the phantom of "bricking the console". So my main problem is, how can i assure my Wii to be perfectly anti-brick? Since i have a System Menu 4.2 i can't use BootMii as Boot2 and i am forced (?) to use the Preloader too.
All that's written below is just theoretical, i haven't installed BootMii, HBC or Preloader, because there are so many risks, so confirmations are appreciated.
So, Imagine i've installed BootMii as Boot2 (not on my Wii, obviously) and took a Nand backup: what would happen if my Wii bricks?
I switch on my Wii, the BootMii menu pops up, open up the "Nand backup restorer" and i restore the Nand. My Wii will work perfectly after reboot, right?
Ok, let's imagine i installed BootMii as IOS: i could access it just by my Homebrew Channel, right?
My Wii is bricked so i can't access the System Menu and therefore HBC.
But if i have the Preloader installed i could access the HBC channel, and from there i could open up BootMii and restore my Nand, right?
So, what's the real difference between the two "strategies"? Apart from the ease of the first method compared to the second one, is there anything else i should know?
For example, will the Preloader always show up when my Wii is bricked? or will i be always able to enter the HBC from the Preloader when my Wii is bricked?
I know this is a very boring topic, but guides don't explain this kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance.
you could read more info here about handling wii bricks: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/unbricking.

Fathead666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just read some tutorials and go for it. If it's only 3 days old and you screw it up just take it back to the store. I just got my first Wii at Christmas and it took a few days to wrap my head around the whole process and how the Wii operates but it's not that bad once you understand it.

I used the guide below. For me, it seemed to be the most understandable and did a good job of explaining things. As long as you pay attention and at least halfway understand what you're doing then you shouldn't screw anything up. Another thing to note is that since your Wii is new like mine was it probably has one of the new D3 drives that isn't going to boot games from DVD so you'll need an external drive to put your games on. I was kind of bummed at first about this but USB is the way to go even if you do have a drive that will boot backups.

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ha...de/normal-start

PinkLemon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much.
I forgot to say that my Wii is a Wii Sport Resorts (the black one) and i don't know if there any hardware differences.
My idea was to load games from a HDD from the beginning, thank you anyway for telling me that i can't read DVDs, that will save me a lot of useless time and pain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_sJ79aDQTeQ?si=dCPYbyGhZ8OFK8nb