Homebrew SNES VC injections or SNES emulators?

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is more accurate for SNES emulation? I have a N3DS and I have all 30 of the official SNES VC games but I want more like Super Mario All-Stars and ActRaiser. Also the SA1 games, if those can run fine without any problems. Which is more accurate and doesn't have any slowdown or frameskips; SNES VC injects or SNES emulators like SNES9X? Also, is it possible to install CIA files on 11.4 with Luma3DS?

Last edited by CodyMitchel2,

Player-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is more accurate for SNES emulation? I have a N3DS and I have all 30 of the official SNES VC games but I want more like Super Mario All-Stars and ActRaiser. Also the SA1 games, if those can run fine without any problems. Which is more accurate and doesn't have any slowdown or frameskips; SNES VC injects or SNES emulators like SNES9X? Also, is it possible to install CIA files on 11.4 with Luma3DS?

VC is always going to be more accurate then emulators, so unless you want things like fast forward/rewind, multiple save states, button remapping, fullscreen etc. i'd recommend you go with that. you could either search on that iso site for unofficial snes vc injects or make your own using something like this tool. and yes, you can install cias on 11.4 with luma

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VC is always going to be more accurate then emulators, so unless you want things like fast forward/rewind, multiple save states, button remapping, fullscreen etc. i'd recommend you go with that. you could either search on that iso site for unofficial snes vc injects or make your own using something like this tool. and yes, you can install cias on 11.4 with luma
Then how come NES injection is so buggy? StarTropics has a glitch that doesn't display the items in the item boxes. Their item boxes are blank.

the_muteKi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NES VC probably doesn't support the esoteric extra hardware in Startropics. SNES VC doesn't have the issue because most extra-chip SNES games would be too taxing to run on the (n)3DS anyway

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Every Snes emulation option has its strengths and weaknesses. The emulator used in the VC releases is more accurate than Snes 9X for O3DS but has far narrower compatibility and hardcoded super quiet audio (a major flaw). Its general accuracy being at a higher level than Catsfc is also debatable.

There is no single best Snes emulation option for 3DS, and you should really test the ROMs that matter to you on all of them. I tend to stick with Bubble's Snes 9X and Catsfc as between these I can run almost everything that personally interests me with all the features you could hope for and with audio I can actually hear.

Has anyone tested the SA1 games via injections, yet?

They'll black screen upon boot. Snes VC injections are a crapshoot even without supporting the special chips.

Last edited by SG6000,

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SA-1 games only work with the RetroArch VC inject. Also, the sound is wonky. I guess playing the SPC sound chip with the actual SPC sound would make the games lag.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Why hasn't anyone made an Excel sheet with the SNES games, and the best method to play them? (VC injection, or most compatible SNES emulator/core)

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried using the SNES injector for ActRaiser and Kirby's Avalanche and both resulted in black screens. What did I do wrong? I only renamed the .smc files to .sfc, did that cause them to not work?

Nevermind, got them to work after downloading the ones with the .sfc file extension.

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can definitely verify that SMRPG: Armageddon V8.0 runs flawlessly at 60 FPS with SNES 9X 1.11 using an N3DS.

Unfortunately, none of the SNES RetroArch cores can seem to run the game properly.
How great? Can I use the SNES Forwarder and SNES9X 1.11 to get it to run or do I need to use the standalone emulator?

If the ROM hack works with those settings, then the actual ROM must work, too.

Just injected SMRPG with using the SNES Forwarder using CATSFC as the base emulator and other than the wonky sound and slight barely noticeable famerate drop, it works flawlessly!

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having issues with the transparency in KDL3. First of all, the water is not transparent, nor are the trees in stage 1-6. Does anyone have a better build of the SNES VC inject? Yes, I'm playing this via SNES Forwarder and not on an emulator. I can't even get past stage 1-6. The damn trees makes it impossible to find the door! Also, I can't see underwater. It's just like the water in Wind Waker. where its so mercy. World 2 is almost unplayable since it's impossible to see underwater!

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why hasn't anyone made an Excel sheet with the SNES games, and the best method to play them? (VC injection, or most compatible SNES emulator/core)

Probably because of the size of the library. That being said its not a half bad idea for catching at least the most common ones.

Last edited by dubbz82,

ZachariasBarnham

Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How great? Can I use the SNES Forwarder and SNES9X 1.11 to get it to run or do I need to use the standalone emulator?

If the ROM hack works with those settings, then the actual ROM must work, too.

Just injected SMRPG with using the SNES Forwarder using CATSFC as the base emulator and other than the wonky sound and slight barely noticeable famerate drop, it works flawlessly!

I used the standalone emulator, and got the best results for it.

I will test again when DarkKefka releases V9.0.

CodyMitchel2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the standalone emulator, and got the best results for it.

I will test again when DarkKefka releases V9.0.
SMRPG actually lags during battles like with Mario's Fire Orb attack and the music loses audio channels if a save state is reloaded, but the music changes back to normal, once you exit an area to another screen. I really hope one day soon they implament SA-1 compatibility with the SNES injector, so we don't have to use RetroArch, anymore. The emulation will be less accurate, in terms of GFX if the game is running at full speed, otherwise if there's no GFX issues, the game will probably have lag.

I deleted all 3 SA-1 games from my N3DS. The only one I didn't really find any issues with, was Kirby Super Star. SMRPG suffered from major slowdowns and KDL3 had issues where trees and water weren't transparent, causing some levels to become nearly unplayable, like stages 1-6 and 2-2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over