SNES emulators problem with layers

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by naveedy, Dec 17, 2008.

Dec 17, 2008
  1. naveedy
    OP

Member naveedy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How come it seems like the SNES emulator every single game the layers are messed up. Is it my copy or what?

Are there any good emulators?

2. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    The DS isn't really built to do full-blown SNES emulation. Think about it, even the PSP needs speedhacks to make some SNES games playable.

3. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Did you seriously just make another topic to whine about SNEmulDS? Can't you keep whining in the first one?

4. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Why don't you go code a decent emulator then or actually help the developer by giving them donations or shut the hell up.

5. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    It's like that because Archeid programmed in karma code that messes up for whiners like you. The rest of us have it working perfectly! [​IMG]

6. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    emulate it on a proper console, not a DS

7. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Don't whine, and ask in a proper way..There is nothing "gay" about emulators....Do you know what gay means?! (and do not answer on this!!)

I'll moderate first post, and the title, and don't let this thread turn to flaming..

8. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    A happy emulator? I would be just gay (happy) to see that.

Also if you really want to emulate SNES at full speed use a computer.

9. naveedy
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I guess i deserve that response. But eh, so frustrating. ='[

10. Raylene2K7

Member Raylene2K7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jamaica
    I like to use the Xbox (1) more, i don't like playing on PC.
    I liket to play on my sofa in the livingroom way more, so for 8-Bit and 16-Bit Console Emulators the Xbox1 is #1

11. Tall Alien

Banned Tall Alien Banned

United States
    GO TO OPTIONS, THEN GO TO GRAPHICS (I THINK) AND TOUCH "FIX GRAPHICS". WORKS FINE

Posts merged

ALSO, why cant the ds show all layers at same time?

12. granville

United States
    I've not really had a problem with seeing all layers at once. They just get mixed up and some layers appear over stuff they shouldn't. I believe archeid once explained that on the SNES, layers could have multiple priorities (sort of like layers within layers) that told the game where a background should appear. The DS seems not to have this, but instead has another layer all its own. So he programmed the emulator to use the DS' extra layer to take over the missing ones. But it's not perfect at doing that.

13. naveedy
    OP

United States

THis is exactly the frustrating problem about it. 80% look beautiful, and runs perfectly smoothe and greaat sound. But the layers are always completely mixed, and it ruins the game completely. The experience just is blah. If there is one thing I will do one day is learn to program emulators and make sure that this horrible layering issue gets fixed. IF that could happen it would be a beautiful thing, i might actually cry. It seems like every game from Zelda to mario on snemulds has lots of layering issues. I want to learn how to fix this so all these games work perfect. I mean how come the jenisis emulator seems to work on most games graphically 100% perfect. If the layering issues were fixed it would make the emulator 200 times more enjoyable.

The only thing i want to change about the jenisis one is that i cant squeeze the screen to fit the full screen and it is always zoomed in too far for many games, I also hate the controls for genisis and most of the games gameplay is kinda blah, but there are some gems, and alot of ports that were also on the snes but they are not as good. But all in all the jenesis emulator is godly. Most games work so perfectly I can not believe it. Why is there no layering issues on the jenesis emulator?

But anyways i wish i could start a project and go through and fix every game for the snemulds, but I can not do that because I do not have the skills. And I dont have any time, but i would just get less sleep i guess and be devoted. But I guess all i can do for now is just donate money to the guy who made the emulator, i love him very much, he a great guy and I am so thankful for the emulator we all get to enjoy on the DS.

But anyways sorry for my rant and reveiw of two of the coolest emulators for the ds, but I just wish that out of the 10,000 people who downlaoded and used the SNEMULDS emulator 2,000 of them donated a dollar or 50 cents, or even 3 dollars. The guy wouldnt have to work for a whole month or two atleast. He would have so much money. that Depending on how much his expenses are he could have some free time maybe? To bad no one would be down. I wish I could help him and learn how to do it. Or atleast support.

Blah why am I still typing, i will stop.

14. halomasta

Member halomasta GBAtemp Regular

United States
    cant wait til they make it perfect

15. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    "They" can't and won't.

16. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    My apologies for the necropost.

jEnesisDS doesn't have the same problems because the Genesis is a different machine than the SNES. They both use the same concept - utilize the DS's dedicated 2D hardware to get blazing fast screen rendering at the cost of potential graphical glitches (and this is also the reason why you can't scale horizontally in jEnesisDS). It just so happens that the Genesis's layers work out better with the DS's 2D hardware, though Lordus has stated that it took a lot of memory juggling to get everything to render correctly. With the SNES, there are more possible layers than the DS can account for.

Between the graphics combinations available in the Options menu and the advanced GFX Config menu, you should be able to get the layers working for most games. You may have to swap it around a bit in-game, but it's possible. Disable automatic layering and choose a setting that works better. If you still get issues, go into the advanced config and mess with that. Try the BG3 tiling option. Try the sprite priorities. Something's bound to help. Now granted, v0.6's menus are screwed up and sometimes won't let you change certain settings to certain values, so if you truly want to dig deep into the graphics config, mess with v0.5 Beta instead.

17. Chase-san

Member Chase-san GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I am not totally ignorant of the challenges of something like this, I however don't know how the snes handled layering. However using a method similar to uLibrary and utilizing the 3D engine to do fast 2D rendering might be possible to get all the layers to overlap correctly (assuming this isn't done already).

I'll look into things and hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a dumb idea. Should be somewhat doable other then perhaps mode 7.

EDIT: After a little research it turns out it wouldn't change much, it turns out the layers have no set order (that I could find). I am not an expert in writing emulators, the best I have managed is a basic Gameboy one.

18. granville

United States
    The one way that I suppose would be the ONLY way to fix the problem completely would be an emulator that uses a software renderer to display the graphics. But it's VERY slow. Early versions of JenesisDS and PicodriveDS used a software render and ran at about 15 frames per second without sound. The upside is that the graphics emulation is very accurate and there would be few errors.

I do remember Lordus (the developer of JenesisDS) discussing the possibility of using a combination of both software and hardware to render the graphics. He said it COULD be done theoretically, but I haven't heard anything since.

I do wonder what could be achieved by using the 3D hardware... The thing that stops most developers from using it is that it's hard to do.