Snes emulator Wii U style

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by WiiUBricker, Jul 4, 2011.

Jul 4, 2011

Snes emulator Wii U style by WiiUBricker at 8:32 PM (3,824 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Recently I succeeded in extracting all SNES rom files off SNES wads and I would love to play some games with the DS. I searched the internet and found 4 SNES emulators for DS, Snezziboy, SnezziDS, SNES DS and SNEmulDS. Sadly the games I want to play with the DS don't work well with these emulators and all emulators are dead for years anyway.

I remembered that the Wii can send data through WiFi to the DS and the DS can recieve data from the Wii, such like the Wii U. My idea is to modify Snes 9x GX in a way, that it uses the WiFi chip of the Wii to stream games to the DS. In order to be able to recieve the stream, an appropriate application has to be developed first for the DS.

The only technical thing I could imagine that prevents this from happening is the perhaps too shitty wifi chip of the DS. Your thoughts?

2. Comrade Cough

Newcomer Comrade Cough Advanced Member

United States
    All the emulators have been dead for years because they've reached the point that they play most games, and the few that don't work require massive amounts of either hacks, more megahurtz, and more accurate timing [emulation] (Also special chips.)

If you are actually thinking about trying to make a streamable emu from wii-DS you might as well try coding a better SNES DS emu, that way you only need to know the ins and outs of two systems (DS/SNES), and not three (DS/SNES/WII + Wifi).

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Actually, he'd need just to know about the Wii and the DS, since he could just take Snes9x GX and hack the streaming support in its sourcecode.

On a side note, I remember that the dswifi lib isn't really useful (a lot of functions missing, iirc) and btw, I'm sure that the DS doesn't have the necessary throughput for streaming.

4. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Sounds cool in theory, but I just don't see it working.

5. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    Add the fact that the Wii-DS connection protocol has never been hacked, that you would still need to somehow emulate snes9x inputs on the NDS (and send command to the Wii while receiving streamed data) and that streaming audio AND video on the NDS would probably be too much to handle for that powerless CPU, and you will get why your idea will always remain an hopeless dream...

6. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    apparently 2 weeks == years.

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    the psx and n64 emus are dead or so it seems

8. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina
    What about WiiLoadNDS and yellowstars tools?

9. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    You guys entirely miss the issue that the WiFi on an NDS would be far too slow to handle a video stream like this.

10. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina

11. chop

Member chop GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Say it ain't so (N64 I mean)

12. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina
    If you checked the gc-forever.com forums, you would know that both Wii64 and WiiSX are certainly not dead.

13. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    If you can play them on your Wii, why bother with playing them on your DS?
    Especially considering you'd need your Wii to be turned on in the first place.

And you'd have to program a homebrew for DS that would accept the data sent by the Wii.

If it was possible to get an Xbox 360's display streamed to a DS, it should be possible.

14. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    huh? what are you referring to ?

15. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    I though someone was preparing a SNES emulator for Wii U =P

16. Comrade Cough

United States
    Well, even the most accurate emulators for home computers require at least a bottom end dual core, and eat a bit of RAM, Sufami Turbo, and other specialty chips carts/chips add in a ton more issues.

That being said, I don't think the DS emu scene is dead, just that any future updates aren't going to add any significant amount of compatibility past the point that it's already at. Can it emulate Star Ocean? FEoEZ? The MMX games? Or how about the FX chips? I haven't used my DS for emulation since I got my hands on a PSP and hacked that (Far superior handheld emulator, and even it still has trouble.) So they may have added support for it since the last time I checked.

And then you run in to the fact that emulating the system, and any onboard specialty chips or carts, streaming the audio/video, and button inputs is going to be taxing over wifi.

Anyways, if this were possible, it would be awesome, I'd love to just be able to stream games to my system (I believe you can do this with SMB shares and a hacked PSP though.)

17. viiral

Newcomer viiral Member

Norway
    That's not true.

There is plenty of emulators still active and getting updated.

FCE Ultra GX, Snes9x GX, Visual Boy Advance GX, Genesis Plus GX, Yabusa Wii

18. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina
    Again, we are talking about emulators for DS, NOT for the Wii.

kehkou likes this.
  19. Comrade Cough

United States
    Oh good god thank you Wiibricker.

As for the 'death' of emulators on the Nintendo DS: The systems potential has been all but tapped, and anyone that would want to either practice their coding skillz, or have a hand held emulator is going to be moving on to greener, more powerful pastures. PSV, WII-U, and 3DS are going to eclipse their respective older brothers.

So if you use any homebrew on the PSP, Wii, or NDS, you are now going to entering the realm entropy, programs are going to stop being updated so frequently, if at all.

20. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina
    I strongly believe that the DS is capable of emulating snes games properly. Just look at the specs of the SNES and DS and you'll find out, that this is indeed the case, especially if you consider that some Snes games runs too fast with SNEmulDS. The issue here is the amount of time improving emulators would take. No programmer would gain something from it. If people are willing to pay for a better emulator, there is a good chance that someone is willing to improve it.

That's why I made this topic: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=298...t=0&start=0