Small question about copying saves.

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Anthus, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Anthus
    OP

Anthus Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2017
    United States
    I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this seemed appropriate. I have two 3DSs with CFW, and I am wondering if it is possible to transfer saves between the hacked systems. I don't think a regular system transfer will work, cause of the hacked nature of the systems. There are really only two games I care about on my old 3DS. Pokemon X, and Tri-Force Heroes. Is there a way to copy the saves (or, the whole games, I guess) to my new 3DS?

Another unrelated question, can I copy the required CFW files from one SD card to another and use it in my hacked 3DS for extra storage? The scenario here is, I have a 16GB card that is full, and am wondering if the files can be copied so I can put the CFW stuff, and more games on a second card?

Thanks for your help, and a special thanks to the guys who made this stuff possible. You have done an amazing job with these hacks, and opened the door to play a lot of games I couldn't otherwise. Thanks, and keep up the good work, guys, I mean it. :)

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yep, this is the DS and DSi section :D

It should (especially if you are running your cfw in sysnand), but a smarter alternative is to use a save manager, like JKSV

Yes but using multiple SDs is not recommended; better to just buy one large enough and just copy all files to the new one (assuming you don't have an emunand)

3. MarioMasta64

MarioMasta64 hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz

Dec 21, 2016
    United States

yes use jksm to backup the save then restore it on the new system (the games will transfer as long as the tickets installed (hint: if it shows up it does but not the homebrew apps) so you likely wont have to)
    you can use all the files besides "/arm9loaderhax.bin and /files9/ and /Nintendo 3DS/" as the first two wont work with a different system and the last one is useless after system transfer

4. Anthus
    OP

Anthus Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for the quick replies, guys. :)

That's good to know, I'll look into JKSM, and I found a thread for it here too. That's also good to know about using multiple SD cards. I kind of suspected it wouldn't be recommended, so I'll probably steer clear for now, at least till I become more comfortable with this stuff, or when I get a bigger SD card. I really truly don't need that much more space anyway, I can make do if I delete some stuff. Thanks again, everyone!

5. MarioMasta64

MarioMasta64 hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    ive found it to work perfectly, and its the most reccomended save manager, but your choice is yours ^^