small N3DS charger rant

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Ryccardo, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Ryccardo
    OP

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Sooo, a little detail I found out while working on the box...

The most reasonable reason for not bundling a charger is that it's relatively big, and reducing size helps more than most people think on shipping costs and retailers' willingness to keep stock on premise...

And indeed, even by removing some of the inner walls of the box, there's no way to fit a regular European charger.

But its design has been the same since the GBA SP, while Apple for one redesigned it 3 times since the first iPhone (also in the interest of shrinking the box)...

...and what makes this comparison embarrassing, is that the "hexagonal stick" design (sold with my 4S) fits perfectly the square gap to the right of the console and below the manuals, along with two USB to 3DS cables (and this gap would have been avoided by cutting down on the paperwork!)

2. Pereb

Pereb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2016
    Having a standardized charger and not including it with every console also helps reduce electronic waste.

3. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    the european boxes are huge like twice the size of american boxes because of those XXXL manuals, i do like the smaller boxes a lot better for collecting, i have 8 in a desk drawer with room for 8 more, the og3ds i could fit 2 at most in the same drawer.