Hacking Small downgrading system menu question

micric100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i upgraded to 4.2 by installing the individual ios and system menu, and everyting is working great. I just wanted to know if I want to go back to system menu 4.1 or earlier, can I just install that system menu version as a wad and it will overwrite the current one. I know that the ios used by certain system menu's will also have to not be stubbed. thanks

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That will work. Just remember to overwrite the stub IOS with the functioning version first!

The functioning version of IOS60 (used by System Menu 4.0/4.1) is v6174.

ramidavis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the answer to every downgrading question that could ever be asked: DO NOT DO IT!
Within 20 minutes of reading, it should be clear that downgrading anything is a VERY BAD decision. It's advised to simply update, even through Nintendo, and then use Trucha Bug Restorer to bring your Wii back to the sweet spot.
^TRUTH^

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ramidavis said:
Here is the answer to every downgrading question that could ever be asked: DO NOT DO IT!
Within 20 minutes of reading, it should be clear that downgrading anything is a VERY BAD decision. It's advised to simply update, even through Nintendo, and then use Trucha Bug Restorer to bring your Wii back to the sweet spot.
^TRUTH^
If you know what your doing downgrading is not a brick risk if you know what boot2 version you have and use safe tools or apps to accomplish your downgrade

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't downgrade to 3.2 ESPECIALLY IF YOU RECENTLY BOUGHT YOUR WII. Downgrading recent Wii's that have boot2v4 will brick them.

thats also a FACT
wink.gif
just so you know
wink.gif

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
vettacossx said:
Don't downgrade to 3.2 ESPECIALLY IF YOU RECENTLY BOUGHT YOUR WII. Downgrading recent Wii's that have boot2v4 will brick them.

thats also a FACT
wink.gif
just so you know
wink.gif
that's what i mean about knowing what your doing i've got a boot2v2(Bootmii boot2+IOS) and it would be safe for me to go to any firmware from 3.2E to the recent 4.2E

micric100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks, i know what i'm doing, I bought my wii on launch and wont be touching the boot2, just installing a wad of an older system menu possibly in future now that I know that works, I will make sure the ios used by the menu is not a stub and will apply truncha to it. thanks for the replies

ashexx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was bored the other day and decided to just downgrade my wii step by step till the lowest version. sure enough all of them installed fine right down to 2.0U. Pretty cool since I've never used Sysmenu 2.0U ever before. Basic requirements: boot2v3, Bootmii as boot2, full nand backup, right non stub ios for right sysmenu version.
ph34r.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16