Small downgrading system menu question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by micric100, Oct 12, 2009.

Oct 12, 2009
  1. micric100
    OP

Member micric100 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i upgraded to 4.2 by installing the individual ios and system menu, and everyting is working great. I just wanted to know if I want to go back to system menu 4.1 or earlier, can I just install that system menu version as a wad and it will overwrite the current one. I know that the ios used by certain system menu's will also have to not be stubbed. thanks

2. micric100
    OP

Canada
  3. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That will work. Just remember to overwrite the stub IOS with the functioning version first!

The functioning version of IOS60 (used by System Menu 4.0/4.1) is v6174.

4. ramidavis

Newcomer ramidavis Advanced Member

United States
    Here is the answer to every downgrading question that could ever be asked: DO NOT DO IT!
    Within 20 minutes of reading, it should be clear that downgrading anything is a VERY BAD decision. It's advised to simply update, even through Nintendo, and then use Trucha Bug Restorer to bring your Wii back to the sweet spot.
    ^TRUTH^

5. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    yup and i am pretty certain i've read that when you downgrade YOU RUIN BOOT 2 as well most of the time (if not all the time) so keep that in mind.

6. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    If you know what your doing downgrading is not a brick risk if you know what boot2 version you have and use safe tools or apps to accomplish your downgrade

7. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    Don't downgrade to 3.2 ESPECIALLY IF YOU RECENTLY BOUGHT YOUR WII. Downgrading recent Wii's that have boot2v4 will brick them.

thats also a FACT [​IMG] just so you know [​IMG]

8. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    that's what i mean about knowing what your doing i've got a boot2v2(Bootmii boot2+IOS) and it would be safe for me to go to any firmware from 3.2E to the recent 4.2E

9. micric100
    OP

Canada
    thanks, i know what i'm doing, I bought my wii on launch and wont be touching the boot2, just installing a wad of an older system menu possibly in future now that I know that works, I will make sure the ios used by the menu is not a stub and will apply truncha to it. thanks for the replies

10. ashexx

Newcomer ashexx Member

United States
    I was bored the other day and decided to just downgrade my wii step by step till the lowest version. sure enough all of them installed fine right down to 2.0U. Pretty cool since I've never used Sysmenu 2.0U ever before. Basic requirements: boot2v3, Bootmii as boot2, full nand backup, right non stub ios for right sysmenu version. [​IMG]